Dinner Ideas

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2011, 06:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
So we are using up the beef my ILs graciously gave us and are getting ready to buy 1/6 a cow from them. I have made just about everything I can think of with ground beef and chuck roasts and wanted to know if you ladies had any ideas.
What do you make with ground beef or chuck roasts?

February 1st, 2011, 07:04 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My favorite thing right now is shredded beef sandwiches. Crock the roast with beef broth, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and then shred it up with two forks. Mix a little of the juice and some BBQ sauce, serve on buns with BBQ sauce and chips. Fruit and veggies on the side if you are into that sort of thing.

For ground meat, I make something called "Agrirama Stew". There is this place my girls went on a field trip called the Agrirama in GA. They had this for lunch.

Brown your ground meat, put it in the crock pot. Add "beef stew seasoning" and 3 C of water. Add 2 or 3 cans of "okra corn & tomatoes" and I add more corn because I like it. Stir, crock all day. It is really good. It eats like a soup/stew. I make a fresh loaf of bread. They had it with canned peaches at the place, so I get those, too, for fun.
February 7th, 2011, 02:24 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For ground beef, I like cheeseburger pie. I don't remember all the measurements, I usually go by taste. And I got this recipe off a biscuit can, so it's probably online somewhere..
For 1 lb of meat
Take a pie pan and line it with biscuits slightly flattened, reserve 4 biscuits for the top.
Brown your meat, drain. Add in ketchup, mustard salt and pepper. Like I said I don't remember the exact amounts but I *think* around 1/2 cup ketchup and maybe 1/4 cup mustard, whatever tastes good when mixed.
Add meat filling to pie pan, top with sliced or shredded cheese, Take four remaining biscuits, cut into 4ths and trim pie. Bake until biscuits are done. approx 15 mins or so.

*Update* Okay I found the recipe, here, I was only slightly off on the measurements. And I forgot the onion, but I've made it without the onions and it's still good.

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

Last edited by myblueyez; February 7th, 2011 at 02:36 AM.
February 7th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
FW - going to try that soup for sure, and we are big fans of the beef sandwhiches..

myblueeyez - I am pretty sure dh and ds will go crazy for that, it's like man food extraordinaire! TFS

February 9th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Veteran
I'm not very creative with chuck roasts

For ground beef, I like to fry it up and mix it with noodles, cheese and tomatoes. My Mom used to call it goulash. We're actually going to have that for dinner tonight. We also use ground beef to chunk up our sketti sauce, the Hubs makes hamburger veggie soup. All that has in it is frozen veggies, a can of crushed tomatoes, beef broth and the hamburger.
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
February 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, yes. I love goulash. I jazz that up a bit with ketchup and chili pepper or red pepper powder. We call it "Noodle Mess".
February 9th, 2011, 01:37 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
I make a TexMex dish with ground beef (mac & cheese on steroids!)

Cook about 2 to 3 cups of elbow macaroni - drain & set aside

1 lb ground beef - cook & drain & put back in the pan

With the pan on low, add small can of tomato paste (5.5 fl oz I believe), a jar of nacho cheese sauce (300 g I think?) and 1 cup of shredded texmex cheese - simmer till it's soupy

Pour cooked macaroni into a baking dish and add the contents of your frying pan - stir until fully coated and gently press it even

Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded texmex cheese on top

Place in oven - preheated at 350F for 35 mins

My kids inhale this fattening rib sticking great for winter meal

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search