For those that Homeschool

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran
What curriculum are you using? We've been using Abeka for the last 2 years and it's just not working for us. There's so much busy work! I'm trying to find something that is a bit more multi-leveled friendly. We're considering the Cyber School option for next year. Only because of the crazy record keeping Pennsylvania requires of me. The Hubs wants my load to be a bit lighter and he thinks that is the best way to go for the older kiddos. I also have to admit, I'm not enjoying being teacher and Mom, but I couldn't imagine putting the kiddos in our schools. They are horrible!

Thanks Mommies
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
February 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are pretty eclectic.

Hooked on phonics- phonics
horizons -math
Soaring with spelling
Growing with Grammar
Apologia- science
We have Story of the World but we didn't like it.
A reason for handwriting
Draw write now - Art

We are considering Abeka next year just to have it all laid out for me. I think I need more organization. We have thought about a Calvert Charter school but we have the opposite problem you do. OK has no requirements and the charter school would require a lot of us.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

February 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Veteran
Thank you Amber! I'll have to look into those options! Maybe we'll move to OK lol
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
February 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
move up here, our public schools are wicked amazing, and homeschooling sounds like alot of stress to me My biggest issue for Sept is to see what time the free bus picks up Nolan three days a week
February 11th, 2011, 02:19 PM
erjo's Avatar Veteran
I'm eclectic too.

Right now we're using

A Reason for Handwriting

Horizons math (might switch my older son next year; not sure yet)

MCP Phonics and Explode the Code (for my younger son, my older son is such a strong reader we're not doing phonics for him)

Grammar and Spelling and Reading Comprehension I'm just using free printables, mostly from superteacherworksheets.com

Apologia science (this year we're doing the Astronomy book)

I haven't found a history program I'm a fan of yet. Iowa doesn't require me to teach history till 4th grade so I haven't worried about it too much, but I'm hoping to find something we like for next year. I'm also planning to actually purchase spelling and grammar curriculum next year.

[/CENTER]
February 13th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Veteran
I'm planning to start homeschooling next year and have decided on doing distance Ed through a Christian College that uses the ACE system.

I like that they have the workbooks already set as I think I would get overwhelmed if I had to do all the planning myself.

I live in Australia though so its probably quite different to over there.
February 14th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When I homeschooled my older two I put together my own too- based on advice from a seasoned homeschooling mom I was friends with.

My kids liked:
Math- Saxon (very easy for kids to do on their own, very rarely needed to help because it spoonfed them each new thing).
History- Story of the World (this had projects with each chapter which satisfied art at the same time)
Spelling- Spelling Power Welcome to SpellingPower.com I liked that it only took 15 minutes a day and I liked that I could use the same book for both kids. They loved that it wasn't a "grade" thing but an ability thing. They became very competitive

I sure do miss homeschooling

Amber- the kids didn't like it, or you didn't? I ask because my kids loved it. Did you do the projects and tests with it too?
February 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are getting more comfortable as the years go on, so it changes

Writing, Math, and Reading-Abeka (it does have busy work but I like the phonics program a lot)

Science, Health, and history- A different combo of books I put together.

We do Bible study everyday as well and are using a fun little Proverbs book right now.
We do a lot of family learning, meaning each kid has their own reading, writing, and math. Everything else we do together.

February 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
SOTW just didn't keep my dd's interest and she couldn't remember anything from the lessons.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search