bread questions, very important!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Trying to help out and pick it up around here, and I really want to know:

Do you bake your bread or buy it?

How much bread do you go through in one week?

If you bake, do you use a bread machine or not?

Can you share a bun or bread recipe with me so I can try? Be specific about the type of yeast you use, as the types really confuse me and mess up my results.
February 11th, 2011, 02:11 PM
erjo's Avatar Veteran
In my ideal world, I bake all our bread. In reality, I fail and we buy a lot of bread. Probably 4 loaves a week? But that's b/c I've been so sick that the rest of the family has been kind of living off pb&j for the last month and a half.

Once I get over my sinus infection, I'd like to get back into baking now that my morning sickness is going away. I use my bread maker. I can post a couple of recipes, but not right now b/c I'd have to get up. I usually make the dough in the machine and then put it in a regular bread pan and bake it that way, because the weird-shaped loaves are so hard to use. But the machine does the hard work.

[/CENTER]
February 11th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I agree with the weird shaped loaves in the machine-also why I don't usually use it often. It also seems like its alot of work to end up with one weird shaped loaf that won't feed all six of us, kwim?

I've started buying unsliced loaves, but I'm finding I'm getting more waste that way, so I'm usually just buying whole wheat slices. We can easily use one loaf for a meal if I let it.
February 11th, 2011, 03:05 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I buy it we go through 2-4 loaves a week.
February 11th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I buy my bread. I go through about 5 loaves a week(less if I buy from Costco).

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
February 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Veteran
I used to do mine in the bread machine and then it broke

Now I buy our bread (much cheaper too than making it). I get ours at BJ's and spend about $2.30 for 2 of the King Size loafs. We go through 3-4 loaves, sometimes more if I make stuffing or soup.
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
February 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
We go through about a loaf a day on average cause my kids are huge sandwich eaters...breakfast, lunch, snacks and sometimes dinner.

I make and buy it, sometimes I use the bread machine and other times I do it by hand. It just depends on how busy I am that day.
February 11th, 2011, 09:08 PM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We bake most of it, we go through three or four loafs a week and I use the bread machine to mix it and then transfer it to a regular loaf pan to bake in the oven.

February 11th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Super Mommy
i make our bread, by hand usually but if its a buisy day then the breadmaker.
We go thru 3-4 loaves a week. More if the kids are on a sandwich/toast kick.

February 12th, 2011, 05:37 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been on a making break kick lately. I have been using my bread machine - but it never occurred to me to bake it in the oven. What kind of pan do you use to bake it? Just a loaf pan? Why didn't I ever think of that? I hate the hole at the bottom of the loaf from the bread machine.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

February 12th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We eat a lot of Potato Bread and I buy that in the store.. probably 2 loaves a week.
For the white bread (a loaf a week), I buy the frozen bread that you bake in the oven.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

February 12th, 2011, 10:35 AM
we can easily use a loaf for lunch if I make grilled cheese-I think I'm gonna try to use the bread maker today, then make buns with the dough
February 13th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Veteran
I use a bread maker and probably make 3-4 loaves a week. I probably buy 1 loaf as well.

I love to make foccasias, pizza dough and pasta as well.

I've found a good wholemeal pre-mixed bread flour that I buy in bulk and we all enjoy. Its Australian made though so I can't be much help with recipes.

Those of you that use the bread maker to mix and then bake in oven, does your bm have a setting for bread dough or do you just keep an eye on it and take it out before it starts cooking? Or do you use the pizza/pasta dough setting?
February 15th, 2011, 12:25 PM
SnowAngel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I make and buy bread ( store bought loaves and those frozen ones)

I never thought about using the bread maker and then transferring it to a loaf pan. I hate that hole in the bottom to like a pp.

February 15th, 2011, 04:23 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We buy most of ours. Usually 2-3 loafs a week. I use the bread machine for stuff like banana bread or zucchini bread. I occasionally make white bread but it's not practical to use it to feed the family, more as a treat.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
February 15th, 2011, 06:39 PM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shari626 View Post
I have been on a making break kick lately. I have been using my bread machine - but it never occurred to me to bake it in the oven. What kind of pan do you use to bake it? Just a loaf pan? Why didn't I ever think of that? I hate the hole at the bottom of the loaf from the bread machine.
I use the dough setting on the bread machine and once it's done I shape it and put it in a regular loaf pan. Then I let it rise again and bake it in the oven.

February 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've tried baking it but fail so now I just stick to buying it. I usually buy 2-3 loafs at a time and buy twice a week. So I guess that means 4-6 loafs! My boys love sandwiches for lunch.
February 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
We buy ours and go through 2-3 loafs a week.

February 17th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wish I was good at making bread, but I am not a baking talent. We go through 4 or so loaves a week. I do have a breadmaker, but have yet to find a recipe we like that uses at least some whole whole wheat. The white bread is good and I'll make it if we have stew or something and the kids love it, but we eat it while it's still warm.
February 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We make it and buy it. I would like to get where I buy all our bread.

Right now I use the bread machine or make it by hand and bake on a baking stone. We also go through 3-4 loaves from the store a week.

We want to plant our own wheat to mill, but we are about 2 years away from that. Can't wait!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search