not a poll but maybe close to it (x-posted)

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
so after a lengthy discussion with DH about how many hours a week he is at work, i decided to ask you all some questions.

on average, how much time away from home does your DH spend (or you yourself if you work out from home) away per week? is your job the general '40-hour' type? is your job considered a 'professional' job (ie doctor, lawyer, teacher etc)?

his argument is that with his profession, it is normal and expected for him to be gone 50-60 hours a week and is not any different that most working people these days.

input please.

~~terre~~
February 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Veteran
My Hubs works a typical 40 hour week and most nights he's home by 5:20pm. That being said, he's a tow truck driver and he's on call 24/7, holidays included. So at any given moment the phone could ring and he's gone for 1+ hours depending on the location and/or the situation. This is quite frustrating at times. If he doesn't request to not be on call, we could be in the middle of the grocery store and have to leave if he gets a call....Thankfully this hasn't happened often.
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
February 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My DH has I guess what would be a professional type job. Some weeks it is a 40hr work week other weeks he could work 80-90 hours. With his job he could be called out and be gone for 16 days straight. (he is a wildland firefighter, he helps put out big forest fires or wildfires).
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

February 11th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ATM, DH is away 96 hrs a week.
February 11th, 2011, 07:13 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think my answer will count.
My dh works out of state. He just switched it so he comes home for 10 days a month. While he's home he is still on his comp. and crackberry for part of that time. While there I'm not sure how many hours he puts in, but way more than 40 per week, he's a workaholic.
He's a Construction Director for a non-profit organization.
February 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My hubby works 40+ hours a week, but it can seem so much worse cause it is graveyard, he starts Wednesday evening into Sunday morning. Sometimes more then that. It's 12 hour shifts plus and 3 hours of drive time each day, needless to say he sleeps a lot on his days off. His profession is Large Machine Mechanic, because of the safty issue's I deal with the sleeping. I'd much rather he sleep then die from an injury cause he hasn't gotten enough sleep.
February 11th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Super Mommy
SO works 20days gone and 10days home, but when he is at works he works 12hrs/day 7/days a week.
This month he has been gone 30days, came home yesturday and will be gone tomorrow for 20days.

February 12th, 2011, 05:40 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dh works a 40 hour work week. But he does work on the side so he is generally gone all weekend and a couple nights of week too. It's usually flexible so if needed, he could change his schedule and help with whatever is needed.

I only work 40 hours a week. I am considered a professional I guess.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

February 12th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH works maintenance at Nestle. He works 12 hour shifts 4 days a week, so he works 48 hours a week. Plus it's an hour drive there and an hour drive home. If he's not working, he's sleeping. He comes home in the morning.. goes to bed.. sleeps until it's time to eat.. eats.. then gets ready for work and leaves. When he has a couple days off in a row, he sleeps the entire first day (and goes to bed with me that night as well) and then will do whatever that second day.

The job DH had before this one really came between us. He was working 60+ hours a week.. and not all because he had to.. because he wanted to. That job came before anything. He actually told me once that if we had a tornado come through here, he'd have to leave and go up there to check on his work. It wasn't so much the hours he worked, but rather that he'd take any opportunity to be there over being here with us.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

February 12th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 4 Monsters View Post
DH works maintenance at Nestle. He works 12 hour shifts 4 days a week, so he works 48 hours a week. Plus it's an hour drive there and an hour drive home. If he's not working, he's sleeping. He comes home in the morning.. goes to bed.. sleeps until it's time to eat.. eats.. then gets ready for work and leaves. When he has a couple days off in a row, he sleeps the entire first day (and goes to bed with me that night as well) and then will do whatever that second day.

The job DH had before this one really came between us. He was working 60+ hours a week.. and not all because he had to.. because he wanted to. That job came before anything. He actually told me once that if we had a tornado come through here, he'd have to leave and go up there to check on his work. It wasn't so much the hours he worked, but rather that he'd take any opportunity to be there over being here with us.

My hubby works for Darigold and your husband schedule is just like mine...even the sleeping part.
February 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dh works on average 60+ hours a week, plus when he gets call backs-he works 12 hour shifts, and he's often on the road for meetings so he's rarely here.
February 12th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2many2010 View Post
My hubby works for Darigold and your husband schedule is just like mine...even the sleeping part.
The sleeping ALL THE TIME does get a little irritating at times, but like you said.. he works with Large Machines and safety is paramount. What I can't stand is when he's been in there sleeping for 8 hours uninterrupted while I get maybe 5 hours a night and during those 5 hours am still getting up with the baby and the older kids when they wake up and then I hear him complain about how he's not getting enough sleep.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

February 12th, 2011, 06:49 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
My SO puts in 40 hrs, and I put in 50 typically, but that does not count time I'm working from home after the kids are in bed, or on the weekend. Also, my cell phone tends to spend a lot of time chirping it's life off, but I don't always answer it ..

Of course that just reminded me that I need to plug it into my laptop & charge it

February 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 4 Monsters View Post
The sleeping ALL THE TIME does get a little irritating at times, but like you said.. he works with Large Machines and safety is paramount. What I can't stand is when he's been in there sleeping for 8 hours uninterrupted while I get maybe 5 hours a night and during those 5 hours am still getting up with the baby and the older kids when they wake up and then I hear him complain about how he's not getting enough sleep.
Yep, same here. Although over the years he has learned to not say a word about being tired cause one day after hearing about how 9 hours of sleep wasn't enough, I just started laughing (I think I sounded crazy) but through the laugh I said "You have no clue what tired is!" and walked away. I kinda think the laugh scared him . Of course it didn't help that I was on the verge of a mommy melt down, which he could clearly see but since then he never complains.

It's ok though, it's been so long since I had a night of uninterrupted sleep that I don't think I would even know how to do it anymore.
February 13th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Veteran
My dh has a professional job and works between 40-70 hours a week away from home and depending on whats going on at work can put in an extra couple of hours a day from home.

I've come to accept this about his job and be very grateful for the shorter weeks. The last few months he hasn't had to work more than 45 hours a week and it has just been bliss. Life seems so much more fun and agreeable when he's around more and not so stressed and tired.
February 14th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It really varies around here, we have a dairy farm, so it's hard to say. The very minimum my dh works is 50 hours a week (that's winter) and during some stretches in summer it's over 100+, the rest of the time it falls somewhere in between.
We do have some flexibility though, unless it's seeding/harvest/etc he does come in for supper and do the bedtime routine before he goes back out, and like now we go skiing on saturdays, but he works before and after. Also, we believe in keeping Sunday our day of rest, so we always have family time then.
February 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Dh has a professional job and only works 40 hours...they are really stingy about overtime. If something happens and he has to come in and work at night they don't want him at work the next day to keep his hours down.

BUT he works a second job on the side which lets him work his own hours as much as he wants. His weekly personal goal is 20 hours but due to home stuff it seems like he only gets in 15 hours.
February 14th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Super Mommy
Dh's work hours are from 7-4, but 4 out 5 days a week he does not get to leave until 5pm.

He has a 45 minute each way commute too. He's on salary so the extra hours don't add up to any extra $$ for us.

He works a desk job with a major US bank.

Mom to Ashley, Jacob, Joe, Jace and missing Jaren, born still on 6/11/09

excited to welcome our girls born 4/30/2010 !!!

February 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
60-70 hrs per week. He has been a self employed consultant since May 2010 so he is putting in the hours to build business. He also does some work on the side to keep money coming in.

Some weeks he is gone and out of town overnight other weeks he is working on his computer at home most of the time.

It feels like whenever he is able to come home around dinner time, he either asks if he can nap or he says he has more work to do and off he goes while I'm taking care of the kids/house on my own again.

Generally he gets more sleep because he does so much driving and that is a big safety concern.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

February 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
My DH works a professional job. The job before this one, he was salary and was on call every other week. He worked 4 days a week plus on call and averaged about 60-80 hours a week. The job he has now he works a typical 40hr week plus an hour drive each way. He's usually home by 6pm but goes to bed at 10 so he can get up early for work. I hated his hours at his last job but the one extra day off was nice. I don't feel like I see him much now because he's out doing everything on Saturday that he couldn't during the week. He also has no sick or vacation time so he makes sure he is there every single day.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search