need thoughts, opinions and options

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2011, 12:44 PM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
So, right now the house we live in is not nice and we NEED TO MOVE. We are seriously considering buying a three bedroom trailer. I am not hip in trailers but the payments are around 450. ALL houses around here are 550-600 for a three bed.So would you stay where you are till you find a house or go for the trailer? The house he are in now has no insulation and heat runs between 5-600 a month in winter and 300 in the summer for cooling it. We cant open any windows, they are old and covered with plastic. There is A LOT of issues with this house. Winter time, you see your breathe in the kitchen and there is ice in the tub. I dont want another yr at this home. I am ashamed to admit in a way that I am actually embarrassed to tell people about the house we are buying because it is a trailer. I dont want to feel that way. Do you think trailers are terrible? It is in a trailer court right now, but I plan to move it on land eventually,

OKay, so this in more of a "IF" question. I have a 16yr old and a 2yr old and a 9mth old. We are trying for our last right now. We thought since the 18yr old moved out it would be much simpler to find some where. But what if it is a girl? Where do we put her? I really dont want to invade my 16yr olds privacy with little ones because he is SUCH AN AAAAAWSOME kid and does everything for me and never complains about the kids, but he really just wants his room to stay his, and totally agree. SO Seb and Josh will share the room eventually, so what about if its a girl? Around 2 or a little after they usually go to their own rooms, so what do I do then? Can she go in the boys room? They dont have any 4bdroom trailers, and the man that is selling them is a great person to buy from so I am really wanting to stick with him.

THOUGHTS would be grand!!

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
February 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK, let me address the boy/girl thing first. I have 3 boys and 1 girl in one room right now. Your 2yo, 9mo, and hoped for baby can stay in a room for 10 or so years before it becomes an issue. By the time you would NEED to make a decision, your 16 yo will have his own kids.

I am in FL, so your geography will be different than ours. I would never advocate buying a trailer. You can not resell it. Especially after moving it from one location to another. It may seem like the easier solution to your problem, but it creates new problems. If you can move, take a smaller house that is a real house instead of something larger, that will deteriorate faster, is not going to appreciate in value, etc. Here is is almost impossible to get insurance on a trailer. And if you can, it is very expensive compared to a site built house that I think it obviates the savings per sq ft. I think they can be beautiful and it seems like a simple, quicker solution, but you would be better served in the long run if you can build a site built house instead.

Good luck! I know these decisions can be hard. I hope you get your new baby soon!
February 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with FW in that by the time it becomes an issue of your dc sharing a room, it's likely your 16yo will have moved on.
I also agree about the house VS. trailer. Plus with the trailer is the $450 trailer payment and lot rent? or is it just the payment and the lot rent will be an additional amount of $$?
Other than the insulation problem is the house you're in now ok? If it is, you could just insulate it. They have companies that will come out and remove a piece of your siding, drill a hole, fill it with foam insulation and put it back together. I have no idea what it costs, but it may be an option to consider if the rest of the house is workable.
The buying market is really good right now, well here at least. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a house you love fairly quickly, if you choose to move over insulation.
Good luck house hunting and babymaking.
February 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a three bedroom trailer and there is no shame in living in a trailer but if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have bought it. FW is right you can't resell them and come out ok in the end. Check the interest rates because on trailers they are higher then on normal home loans. We have been paying on ours for 10 years and still owe more then we can sell it for. If you need another place and are not in a position to buy a house there is always renting.

February 13th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
thanks ladies.
The house we are in now is so bad that the owners of it plan to tear it down as soon we move because it is a fire hazard. Has old wiring and the ceiling in spots are rotting.
I am sure renting will be our next move then, Unforunatelly we cannot buy a house unless it is owner finance because of our bankrupsy.
Trailer and lot rent together would be 450. I have seen some three bedroom houses but they are all 600. I just dont want to go over heads is all. I know we have to move this year, but not sure where. I guess I will be rethinknig the trailer then.
thank you all so much for your help. It really helps my stress. I cant harldy sleep,

February 13th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Veteran
We're in the same position as you....Small house (3 beds, 1 bath and there's soon going to be 9 of us) that's falling apart and we're going to have no choice but to move. Like you, we can't do financing because we foreclosed on a home almost 4 years ago.

How long ago was your bankruptcy? I believe they are on your credit for about 11 years, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. We foreclosed on our home 4 years ago, so hopefully in another 3 years it'll be off our credit and we'll be able to purchase again. The Hubs and I are considering a rent with the option to buy. That way, a portion of our rent will go towards our down payment and the $$ we are putting into the house isn't going down the drain. The home, will one day, be ours.

Good luck house hunting and baby making! Both can be quiet stressful! With me, once I stop trying for a baby, one usually makes their arrival
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
February 13th, 2011, 07:33 PM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are their some trailers for rent in your area that maybe cheaper then a house?

February 14th, 2011, 09:00 AM
no trailers for rent in the area

I just filed bankrupsy not long ago, so my credit is blah, but I am not giving up hope! I am looking at smaller houuses with basements now also. I am trying to keep my options open and know God will lead me to the THE ONE. thanks again so much! LOVE the help ladies!

February 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you looking to buy a trailer via loan or are you outright buying a used one? We were in the same place you are--we had to move, were not ready/able to purchase a home yet, and the rental market was a bit pricey for what we would get. So we got a used trailer that we could buy outright and we did any needed work ourselves. We have a nice big yard for our kids to play in and the lot rent is less than half of what rent would be on a similar sized apt/house rental. The money we save on rent helps us pay down other bills and move into a position where we could buy a house right now if we wanted (We aren't but only because the husband went back to school and once he gets his degree, we are moving to a different state and will buy a house then). We aren't all that fond of living in a trailer but hey, you do what you need to to get to where you want to be Our kids have lots of space to play outside, we aren't cramped into a tiny rental and our rent payment is low

Whether you decide to rent or go with a trailer, its important to do everything you can to start building up that credit score so you can be in a position to buy when you are ready. I used to work in lending and it was a daily part of my job to walk people through the credit-rebuilding process so I have a few tips if you are interested I'll run through my spiel if you want to read it My husband's credit was horrible when we met and I used this stuff to build his up and I also went through a bankruptcy about five years ago and used this to build mine back up as well and mortgage lenders don't even ask about it anymore because I have a nice solid score and recent history

1. On-time payments are very important! They make a pretty big impact on your score so you want to make sure you protect any payments that report to your credit score.
2. The length of time your accounts have been open also have a big impact on your score--they establish the length of your credit history--the longer you've had accounts open, the better your score will be. So its a good idea to get some type of credit opened up as soon as possible after bankruptcy. If your current credit is too low to qualify for a credit card, go to your local credit union (do as much as you can through credit unions--it will save you money on interest!) and ask about getting a share-secured loan. Basically, you deposit money, they place a hold on it and then give you a low interest loan for the same amount. Some places hold the entire amount, some release the amount of your payments minus the interest charge each time you make a payment. A lot of people balk at this because you are paying to use your own money but it will start rebuilding a credit history and bringing your score up. Depending on how low your score is, you may need to do this several times to improve your score enough to qualify for a credit card/loan.
3. Another really big factor in your score is your capacity--how much you are able to borrow versus how much your balances are. They will look at your credit card limits vs your balance--when possible, keep them below fifty percent (zero is better!). Having your balances low not only makes your score better but you also look better to loan officers since it shows you are not out running up your cards just because you can
4. Review your credit report every four months--by law, each of the three credit bureaus has to give you a copy of your credit history (not the score) for free each year (www.annualcreditreport.com). Get one every four months and make sure it is accurate--the three bureaus report to each other so if something is wrong on one, chances are it is wrong on all three so you can dispute/ask for a correction on all three. You'd be surprised at how often things are wrong! Even check your addresses/name/birthdate/etc--personal details that are wrong can lead to negative items being placed on your report because they match those incorrect details If you want an idea of what your score is, I'd reccommend www.creditkarma.com--you can get a free score/analysis of your credit "grade" as often as you want And it really is free! Lots of ads on site, though, to get you to sign up for cards/services/etc to pay for the site

There's more but those are the big ones and I am tired Sorry if you already knew all this and I just bored you!
February 16th, 2011, 07:19 AM
HeavensMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great tips Hazel, thank you!!

From now until 2/29, donating HALF of all proceeds to Olly
Free giftcards?!? Swagbucks
February 16th, 2011, 08:11 PM
thanks for all the information!! I am still looking around! I am doing pretty good so far I think. will catch up later, I am very exhausted and hubby just got over the flu! So will update later!! Thanks again ladies!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search