What's the latest in pregnancy you would travel on vacation?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2011, 05:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
I am not pregnant, still waiting to give it a go. We already paid for a condo rental in Florida in September, and we drive straight down before the trip. I am just looking for opinions as to how far along is too far along to travel, especially the long drive.

Thanks for any advice!

February 23rd, 2011, 06:40 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me, it would depend on the pregnancy. There is no way I could have traveled (and enjoyed it) with my 5th. I was just too sick and miserable. With this one, I would have been ok for the first 20w but then after that I would have to of scheduled lots of breaks for naps and wouldn't be able to make a long trip in one day but I still could of enjoyed a vacation up until 30w. Now I'm having so much pelvic pain it would be hard to do a lot of walking.

1-4 were super easy pregnancies, traveling wasn't a big concern with them but paranoia kept me close to home at around 34w.
February 23rd, 2011, 07:54 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aside from my insurance not paying if you are out of area within 30 days of your due date, I would travel at any time. I hear flying can cause labor in the 3rd trimester, but driving should be fine. Have fun! Stop by when you are on I10. We are exit 225.

Never mind, you won't be this far west on I10.
February 23rd, 2011, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would just see how you feel. If it's just the normal crappy feelings of pg, definately go! But if your prone to preterm labor, not so much.

February 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have traveled as late as 34 weeks but it was just a few hours away.

February 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I would be wary during the 3rd trimester.
I guess I would talk to your doc about travelling. Make sure you are able to get up, walk around etc periodically so as to prevent any swelling and such.
February 23rd, 2011, 07:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmers-wife View Post
Aside from my insurance not paying if you are out of area within 30 days of your due date, I would travel at any time. I hear flying can cause labor in the 3rd trimester, but driving should be fine. Have fun! Stop by when you are on I10. We are exit 225.

Never mind, you won't be this far west on I10.
Well then just come meet up with us in Orlando. We'll get Doodle to have a giant photo session with the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtothe5thPower View Post
Now I'm having so much pelvic pain it would be hard to do a lot of walking.

1-4 were super easy pregnancies, traveling wasn't a big concern with them but paranoia kept me close to home at around 34w.
I somehow forgot about the pelvic pain. Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post
I would just see how you feel. If it's just the normal crappy feelings of pg, definately go! But if your prone to preterm labor, not so much.
I am not at all prone to preterm labor. I am prone to evictions by induction

Thanks for all the advice!

February 23rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We drove to Wisconsin from MD when I was 35 weeks pg with my last one. My doctor told me no traveling so we kept it a secret. I did have to ride with my feet on the dashboard on and off because of swelling but other than that it was fine.

I never go early but I wasn't afraid of giving birth at an unknown hospital with an unknown doc if need be.
February 24th, 2011, 05:07 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with Shane we went for a family vacation to North Carolina. It was the very end of August and Shane was born in September. I don't recall exactly how many weeks I was - but we just made sure that we knew where the nearest hospital was just in case. My midwife had no problem with me traveling.

I agree that it would depend on your pregnancy.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

February 24th, 2011, 01:17 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We had a condo paid for the end of June and had to call and cancel it because it's a 5hr drive and I'll be 34wks. My BP shoots up and sitting for 5hrs isn't such a good idea for me that far along. I'd talk to your doctor and see what he thinks.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
February 24th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I traveled at 35 wks. It was a 12 hr drive there. I talked to my dr before hand and he was completely okay with it. I'm not a fan of flying, so I can't help you there.

February 24th, 2011, 02:41 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I drove over 2000 miles (total trip) by myself when I was 7 months pg. to an area that had little to no hospitals open, due to a hurricane having just come through. It was fine. My Dr. had advised against it because of the lack of hospitals, other than that it would have been ok. Just be sure to get out to walk around every couple of hours or so. Shouldn't be a problem, being pg. having to use the restroom all the time.
February 24th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Veteran
I flew across Australia (7hour flight) at 32 weeks to go to my sisters wedding. My Ob wasn't really happy about it but I just promised to take it easy. I wore support stockings for the travel. I caught a cold while I was over there which really knocked me for 6 and on the flight home I ended up on oxygen and felt terrible. Thus I don't think I'd do that again.

I'll be driving 19 hours down to the hospital this time around at 34 weeks.
February 25th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your hospital is 19 hours away ?!?!?!

February 25th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I should say even though my doc said no and it was a secret, there was no medical reason why he said no. He was a by the books kind of doctor
February 25th, 2011, 09:07 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I wont travel after 34 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search