Babysitting

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
For those of you with older kids.

When did you start to let your older kids babysit? How many siblings did they watch?

Thanks for any advice!

March 1st, 2011, 05:47 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
here kids can take the babysitting course at 11, but I'm not sure if there's a big enough age gap btwn Nolan and the littles to let him start watching them at that age.
Wish I owned a teenager right now...
March 1st, 2011, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
I agree about the age gap thing. I figure Sapphire is never going to babysit Sebastian. Sounds disastrous. But tomorrow I may have to go pick DH up at 8:30. Ideally Clara and Esme are sleeping then. Decisions, decisions............

March 2nd, 2011, 08:00 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar Running Mamma
I have a 13yr old and a 12yr old and we sometimes leave them with 3(10, 7, 5) to run uptown and get groceries kinda thing. We are never to far. But its def handy sometimes!

Cautiously expecting our precious rainbow baby 02/18/15

March 2nd, 2011, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My oldest was 11.5 when she started, and the youngest would be in bed and we would be near home (about 5 minutes) and if we weren't late. Her next sister was 10 then, and they would be in charge together and go to bed at the same time.
Then when she was 12 we would go farther, but we actually still make sure dh sister is home, she lives about 7 minutes away, just in case.
My next oldest is 12 in a few months, and I have her babysit when we're close when my oldest is babysitting elsewhere.

I love love love not having to have a babysitter anymore, but that said, we really don't leave them all that often.
March 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oldest is 12 and there's 5 yrs difference between her and #2. I started letting her watch them last summer (she turned 12 in Aug.) for 5-15 min intervals (errands and other quick trips that didn't seem worthy of packing up the whole crew). We haven't really worked up to longer intervals yet but whenever I have my neice or their grandpa babysit I always give Alyssa the list of instructions as well. To be perfectly honest, I trust her capabilities more than I trust an outsiders.
March 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started leaving #1 in charge of #2,3 when she was 9. But my bil was home asleep in his room, but they didn't know that. I used this time as training time. Then when we moved here, I let her keep herself and 2,3, but I always took the boys with me and it was only when I was running errands in our little town. When she was 12 I started letting her keep them all, but only when I was in out little town, or the 2/3 if I went to the big city. Then it just sort of morphed from there. Now, she can keep them all. She will be 15 next month.

#2 is now 11.5. She can keep them all below her, but I usually take the baby. #3 is 9 (10 next month) and I will let her stay alone or keep the 1yo,3yo,6yo and 8yo. #2 and 3 together can handle them all, but I don't really like how any of them do the baby, so I keep him unless he is going to be sleeping, or in bed for the night.

But we do train the toddlers to listen to the 5 yo on up by playing things like "#3 says". So when she is 5, she will be ready for My now 6yo to be in charge of her.
March 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I didn't let the older ones stay alone until they were 16, 15 and 14. I could not trust them to not break or burn down the house.

Shortly after that I started letting them watch the younger ones, even the baby depending on who was home.
March 3rd, 2011, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our oldest is 10, so not yet...although she wants to and would probably be fine.

March 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I totally trust my oldest (11) but haven't let him babysit yet. For some reason I've had the age 13 in my mind.
March 3rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Here, kids have to be 8 to be home alone for short periods of time and 12 to watch other kids. My oldest is almost 11 and her brother is a year younger. I've been training her for some time now. I have her watch the kids while I watch a show in my room and work on something or while I drop one of the kids off at a friends or school. She has a phone which she knows how to text me on and calls if anything happens. Her brother and my 8yr old are good at helping out too. My youngest is 3 so they just keep her entertained. When the baby comes, they won't be watching her for a few more years.
It boggles my mind at times to remember that at 12 I was being paid to watch other people's kids. At 14 I even stayed over for 3 days at a lady's house to watch her 1 and 3yr olds. I don't trust my kids that much yet but hopefully, in a few years, they will gain my trust enough that I'll be able to go see a movie and not fear the house will burn down.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
March 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM
momoftwinsand1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I let my oldest start staying home with the little ones last summer, they were 10 1/2 I was never gone that long. I usually would take one of the little ones with me but I think they would be fine with all 3 little ones.
John Allen 4-4-06, VBAC 6 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches long
Paige Belle 5-21-07, VBAC 5 pounds 9 ounces 17 inches
Ava Marie 2-28-09, VBAC 5 pounds 10 ounces,16 1/2 inches
Jackson Douglas 2-13-13, VBAC 6 pounds 5 ounces, 19 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search