Taking the homeschool plunge?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Last night I decided it was time to homeschool (we'll start this next school year). But I'm only doing the two older girls. Our son is a little behind and since being put in preschool, he has made leaps and bounds in everything. I've decided to send him to Kindergarten for this next school and then see where he is after that.

Anyways, I was just wondering when you homeschoolers decided it was time?

Was it difficult at first?

And how long did it take to get into a good "groove?"

Also, are your kids in any homeschool groups so they can meet other children? If so, how did you find those groups?

And, lastly, how is it with a large family? I'm most nervous about having so many little kids. My oldest will be 7 next month and #6 is due in July.

March 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww I don't homeschool but wish you the best of luck. I'm sure you will do fine.
Good for you. I'm sure that it is a big commitment and decision.
March 9th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have always homeschooled. I have 8, ages 15-4mos. We do things in fits and starts. Right now I am in a good grove. Everyone does math and reading, one does piano, 3 do dance, 3 are in baseball, 5 do theater, etc. I take a good 3 month break when the babies are born. But that doesn't mean the learning stops. They can watch good stuff, be taught stuff from the older ones, learn on their own. It just means I don't sit with each one at a time, etc. You will find your own way. I can tell you not to try to recreate school at home, but you will try anyway. When that becomes annoying to you, you will be ready to hear from oldtimers.

We live in a small town so all of our friends are homeschoolers who do the things we do. We are starting a co-op over the summer. If you live in a larger area, there may already be co-ops and groups and clubs and stuff like that already in place. If you know a couple of homeschoolers, they can tell you where to find the groups. Libraries and parks are a good start.

Just relax and spend time with them. Build your family unit knitting their hearts together. That is our main reason for homeschooling. The time is short and we want to spend it together.

Have fun with new baby! If you have more questions or want clarification, let me know.
March 9th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good Luck! I'm envious.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

March 9th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am pregnant with number 5 and we are in our first year of homeschooling. We decided to do it after seeing what little was taught in the ps here and how competitve things were even with the preK/ K kids. We live in the school district that the country club is in and if you didn't live in it then you were good enough. We are still learning everyday what works for us but I think we are settling into a nice groove. While I have 4 kids right now only 2 are school age and it is just K and 1st grade so school isn't too arduous for us right now. We do belong to a local group that does activities a few times a month. I found it through our states homeschool organization. I live in the most homeschool friendly state in the US so I have zero requirements. It is actually in the state constitution here that I can homeschool. My kids enjoy it but my oldest does wish she was back in PS just because it was just a social environment for her not an academic one.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

March 10th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Veteran
We are planning on starting next school year as well. My reasons are pretty similar to FW. The time is short and I want to be with my kids. I live in a big town but homeschooling over here (Australia) is still quite uncommon. I didn't know of anyone who homeschooled in my area when I first started thinking about it but amazingly since I've started talking with others I've found a few other families that have started already or will be starting soon. We have already started talking about organising a co-op once we all get started.
I found out most of my info online.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search