SO, what do you do when you outgrow your minivan?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our minivan has worked well for us. It's crowded, but it works.

I have 5 passenger seats (plus the two front seats).
All of my passenger seats are occupied.
When this new baby arrives this fall, I'll have no room!

What to look for?
What works for your families?
March 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Veteran
We are in the same position. We have a 7 seater Mini-Van and there's 8 of us. Right now, the oldest unfortunately stays home and if he has some place to go, well, Dad takes him and the rest of us stay home. Come October, when Baby #7 is due, that isn't going to work anymore. We began searching for a 12 passenger about 2 months ago with no luck. So.....for now we're going with a Suburban. It's not my first choice, but, it'll work for now and then maybe next year we'll have better luck finding a 12.
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
March 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bought a 10 passenger suburban that was a piece of $#@#!@@ which pushed us to get the 12 passenger van we have now. I found that through cars.com giving it a good 250 mile radius which took us to Atlanta. There were a ton of them there.
March 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're also in this situation and have been searching high and low for a 12 or 15 passenger van. We're not having alot of luck either. There's lots of brand new ones for $25k but we are determined to pay in full and we don't have that kind of cash laying around. This weekend we are looking at a 15 passenger but it only seats 11 (which is more than enough, lol!). I'm really hoping this is the one because I'd like to have something before the baby gets here. Otherwise, we will be taking two vehicles when we want to go somewhere as a family.
March 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We got a new to us 15 pass. van that seats 12. That's plenty big enough for us now.
March 9th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How do the big vans do on gas?

We also, would not want to finance anything. I'm not sure if we'll be able to do anything by the time the baby comes. We'll see. Fingers crossed. We were planning on trying to get a newer truck for dh before we found out I was pregnant. He uses it for work every day and could really use a newer one before his conks out.

I just keep tossing around the idea that we could sell the van and try and find something in the range thats bigger. Don't know if that will be possible. Ahh dilemmas.
March 9th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A friend told me that his 12 passenger gets 18 miles to a gallon. That's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

I'm not sure about 15 passengers. I'll have to ask that question this weekend. I'm hoping it's better than a suburban or excursion (sp??).

We are keeping our mini van. There are so many times that we go places without all the kids, running errands and what not. For those trips I don't see the point on driving something so big.
March 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
since we sold our truck, we need something that can pull our 33' holiday trailer-so we're stuck to the excusion diesel or maybe our 15 pass van, but we won't know if the van will work until summer. Vans work for me now since mine are all to small to load themselves in the backseat of anything in carseats, in a few years I"m moving to an Escalade

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
March 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Terrible on gas. I put a minimum of $60 a week in the tank.
I am hoping to talk dh into finding a minivan too so when we are not all together, I can drive that.
March 9th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we're getting approx 15-18mpg with the 15pass

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
March 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think mine gets 15-16 mpg. I wanted to keep my mini van for the times we aren't all going, but at 202K miles and 10 yo, DH said it was time for it to go.
March 10th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What about the 8 passenger minivan? My neighbors have a Honda and it seats 6 kids- 3 in each row.
March 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh interesting. Will have to look at that.
March 11th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have an 07 odyssey, it seats 8 and is not horrible on gas (to me anyway). We also kept the Ford Windstar, traded DH's car in on the Odyssey, got a whole $200 for it lol! DH and I are pretty much never in the van together, and if we are it's without kids, so by the time we have our next baby our oldest will be 'big enough' to sit in the front and we'll still have room.

I'll say this here, but if you're not too sure on financing a vehicle it might be best to buy one from someone instead of a dealer, our payments are 480 a month, we can re-finance it in 3 months thankfully.

I just looked it up and it says they get between 20-24 mpg. I forgot to add that DH also came home with a little blaze orange chevy s10 last night, it's a really old one, so we have that too, but it's stick and only 2 seats so it's pretty much irrelevant to me.

March 12th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Super Mommy
I had an 8 seater Ford E-150. It averaged about 13-14 mpg. I have a Windstar right now, but if we have anymore we will have to get something bigger. There is no way I could fit 3 car seats/boosters in the back. I'd probably go with a 12 passenger E-350. Gas mileage isn't great, but I expect that with the larger vehicles.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search