How do you plan meals in your house?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you plan meals out daily/weekly/monthly?
Do you shop weekly?
Do you cook daily?
How often do you eat out?

I usually plan meals weekly. I used to grocery shop for a month at a time but now that I coupon to try and cut costs, I do it week to week.
I'll plan out a menu for a week and then shop accordingly.

I do cook dinner every day. We are not big out to eaters. Every now and then, it's a treat.
We don't do fast food often. Usually if we go out of town or as a treat if the schedule has been super super busy.
We will do pizza from time to time however.

I would love to plant a garden this year and grow our own veggies.
March 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm really bad about shopping just about every day. I definitely cook dinner every night, the kids eat lunch at school, and have a breakfast of cereal or toast usually. I don't really plan meals, just whatever comes to mind. DH brings leftovers for lunch every day.

We eat out maybe 2x a year, usually after taxes lol.

March 11th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I dont usually meal plan I order my meats online and get the other stuff I need twice a week at the grocery store usually when my kids are in school.

Rachel 12
Kimberly 9
Chloe 6
Nathaniel 4
March 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We raise our own animals, and grow our own veggies. Last year we canned 175 quarts and froze about 200 lbs of veggies, so that is where we get our food. We do have to grocery shop for a little bit of junk food, I can't grow potato chips and we need to buy milk.

We plan a day or two ahead and I put the days menu up on a dry erase board. It helps me and the kids a lot.

Eating out is a treat here as well. Probably 2-3 times a year we actually go to a resterant, but probably once a month we go through McDonalds if we are on the road, it's more for a convience than fun though.

March 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's great. What kind of veggies to you grow? Does your whole family get involved with that aspect?
March 12th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At the moment, I haven't been doing much but I'll give you my non-third-trimester routine, lol!

Do you plan meals out daily/weekly/monthly? Weekly

Do you shop weekly? Yes, I shop when my older kids are at school and I would need each of them to push a cart if I shopped monthly, lol!

Do you cook daily? Prior to now, we cooked ever meal 6 days a week w/ one evening off. Now I get about 3 evenings off, lol!

How often do you eat out?
At least once a week. More so now but that we change once the baby is here.

Last edited by Momtothe6thpower; March 12th, 2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typo
March 12th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I only plan my meals out 3 at a time. If I plan out more than that by the time I get to that 4th meal someones eaten an ingredient I needed.

It also seems like I need to go to the store every 3rd day for milk because we drink organic in the carton.

Only successful veggies we've been able to grow is cucumbers and tomatoes. Kids love sliced cucumbers in the summer as a snack!
March 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I unfortunatley don't plan ahead.. i always have staples on hand to stir something up.. We rarely buy veggies..
Our garden consists of (right now) green beans, tomatoes, okra, corn, squash, zucchinni, cantaloupe, bell peppers, watermelon, ... winter garden had, beets, cabbage, lettuce, etc.
March 30th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I go in spurts being really organized and inspired with meals, and then not so much. I wish I was a bit better about consistantly planning meals.
March 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We eat out way too much. I wish that we could eat at home more but I suck with time management and we have really busy schedules. I am really trying to get better at meal planning.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search