Suggestions for household chores

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Super Mommy
How do you keep your house clean and organized plus take care of kids, etc.? I have always been a neat freak and lately it is driving me crazy that our house always seems messy. I do everything...cook, clean, laundry, etc. Plus, I am taking 17 credit hours right now which consumes quite a bit of time. I'm trying to figure out a good system for keeping things neat while making sure I give the kids enough attention and get my schoolwork done. So any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
March 12th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I made myself a cleaning schedule. For the most part I will try and get everything done in the AM after dropping the kids at school.
I drop off my 6/8/9 year olds and then drop off my preschooler. I have about 2.5 hours before I have to pick up my preschooler and I only have my 3 year old at home (until this new baby arrives, lol). This will be the time to try and get my plan working.

I will use the two hour bulk to get everything done. One hour to 1 1/2 hours will be allotted to getting the main room/area I am cleaning and then the second hour will be allotted to a 10 minute quick pick up in each room.
I break it down into daily since that is what works best for me. This way everything gets deep cleaned weekly and everything (somewhat) gets picked up daily.

Heres a rough of my schedule:

Monday: Change & wash all bedding
Clean bathrooms and mop
10 minute pickup each room

Tuesday: Living room & mop
Clean/spray windows
Dust/wipe blinds
5-10 minute pickup each room

Wednesday: Kitchen & dining room & mop -appliances etc
5-10 minue pickup each room

Thursday: Bedroom
Laundry room
(Grocery shop) Sometimes I just do this in the evening when dh is home.
5-10 minute pickup

Friday: Kids rooms (vaccuming etc. They are responsible for cleaning their rooms)
Extra laundry
Quick onceover everything for weekend, 10 minuets each room

Weekends are free since we are busy and all the kids are home.
Pick up as we need it.

End of each day: Wipe down appliances (few minutes with dinner cleanup)
Wipe down doorwall
Wipe out kitchen sink (after dinner clean up)
Wipe out bathroom sinks (while kids are doing baths etc)
Run dishwasher
Wash & put away laundry as needed (can fold while sitting down in evening)
Mop living room/dining room as needed (We have 5 kids & 2 dogs, so often I just run the steam mop over for 5 minutes).

Kids end of each day: 5 minute pickup in their own rooms before story/talk time.

I find that if I get my 3 year old involved he really digs the helping/mommy time that we have while we are alone.
Also, I try and cram and get it done in the AM so that I have the rest of the day for the kids, homework etc
I know that routines and schedules don't work for everyone, but I find that if I don't stick to a schedule, everythign gets out of whack very quickly.

Good luvk infinding what works well for you!

Last edited by MommySiobhan; March 14th, 2011 at 07:49 AM.
March 12th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Idea's of things kids can do:

My 6/8/9 year old: Make bed/ let pets out/set table/empty bathroom garbage/feed dogs/5 minute bedroom pickup. We divide up chores.

My 4 year old: Help me make bed/puts plastic & paper in recyclying bin. Pick up toys when done

My 3 year old: Pick up toys.
March 14th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Get rid of stuff. If you don't have a place to keep it or if you don't use it, then it shouldn't be in your house. I find the kids do well keeping things tidy as long as they know where it belongs.

Secondly, don't be too hard on yourself, I like a clean house as much as the next person, but there's a difference between dirty and messy. I used to adhere to quite the cleaning schedule, but have learned that the world does not end if I wait a day or 2 longer to vacuum.
March 14th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Super Mommy
I think I am going to try a cleaning schedule and see how that works. This weekend, while I have some time without the kids here, I am going to go through and see what we need and don't need. I try to do that once a month or so, but I think it has been awhile as we are getting a lot of clutter. I agree on the difference between dirty and messy. My house is never dirty...just messy. I think my fantasy of living in a model home needs to go away because that is just never going to happen!
March 15th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I call it "putting your blinders on". I really want to let my inner perfectionist out but if I do that then nothing the kids do to help will be good enough and I will make myself (and family) miserable.

I switch up what each kids does all the time but some of the things on the lists are...
vacuum (my 4 yr old loves this chore, he likes it so much he has turned it into something they fight over, lol)

sweep

dust (I got each kid age 7 and under their own duster and set them loose, lol! They're $1 and so worth it)

organize shoe and coat closet

clean out from under couch (I really hope I'm not the only one that always finds something hidden under the couch )

organize movie and game system closet

wipe down counters, fridge, and bottom cabinets (again I give them a spray bottle of vinegar water and set them loose with a rag)

sort laundry by color (it doubles as a learning experience )

take out trash

pick up floors (I always tell them that I don't have a problem picking up their things but I'll only do it once! Meaning it ends up in the trash.)

make beds

wash windows (I let them use their vinegar water and only let them get what is within their reach. That's usually where all the smudges are anyways.)

load and unload dishwasher (mostly my oldest's job)

mop (again a chore for my more capable and well paid oldest)

Now, none of these things get done the way I would do them and that takes some getting used to but I still let them do it their way because I want them to learn the process. As they get older they get better. My twelve year old is actually really awesome at cleaning house.
March 16th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My house isn't that big, I clean everything daily (except for bedding and vaccuming upstairs).

The bigger kids walk to school if it's nice out. I do the bathroom first, wipe off the sink, washer, dryer, then toilet. Wash the mirrors, clean litter box, sweep, mop the floor. I usually have the darks in the washer at this time.

Then I do the living room. Wash the Tv, glass on the stereo, and front screen door glass. Fluff the furniture and see if any stupid cat hair needs to be vaccumed off. Wash off the coffee table and side tables, dust under & around the tv. Then I do the hallway, which is near the livingroom. I vaccum that rug, sweep, wash the hard floor. THEN I vaccum the living room.

Kitchen next, wipe down everything, put the bench/stools up, do dishes, sweep, wash the floor. Run dish washer.

Dining room: wipedown the spiral stairs, dust the bearded dragon cage, wipe the dining room table, put up the chairs and vaccum.

I do the dining room last because it's between the kitchen/bathroom/livingroom and I always track stuff through when I'm walking between rooms.

Basically I don't ask the kids to do much except for make their beds and take care of their dirty clothes. They clean the playroom before bed each night too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search