Rising food and gas prices

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How are you coping? I've started staying home several days a week, and switched my son to going to preschool three days a week instead of all five. The preschool is not expensive, but driving into town everyday sure was. Unfortunately we live about thirty minutes outside of town (and dh's work) so gas is a big issue for us.

I bought milk yesterday and it was $5.50 a gallon. It is cheaper on the base at the commissary so I will have to plan better so we can only shop there from now on. We also have been eating beans and rice one night a week, and breakfast foods one night a week. Less meat.
March 20th, 2011, 07:04 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I try to run whatever errands I have while already out taking the dc to school. We're not big on meat so that isn't a problem. Milk here is $2.?? a gallon at Target.
March 20th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
$5.50/gal...WOW!

Milk was $3.39 and gas was $3.22 yesterday. I can't say that we've changed anything. We're going out less right now because I don't feel like doing much but we're eating out more because...well..I don't feel like doing much, lol!
March 20th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Dairy is crazy high here in Mississippi. It just might be the only thing that was cheaper back in Connecticut. In Connecticut I could buy a gallon on base for like $2.25, the local store for $3.50, and Walmart for $4. Walmart was the highest for some reason. Cheese is really high here as well, and we go through a lot of cheese.
March 20th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Milk isn't that expensive here either, about the 3 1/2 mark like mom to the 5th power. Walgreens has sales on milk sometimes.

I guess I am lucky because RJ gets a bus to pre-school (every child that goes to public preschool gets a bus) and we live about 5 blocks from school so the kids have been walking. It definitely weighed on our decision to send Sydney to a reading recovery school though. We are lucky with that too, because she qualified for OT at the school she is already at.

I honestly just this last month started using coupons a lot. I have scored a lot of free things at walgreens, and pick&save has double coupon days so that works too. I always tell DH that I wish we had a co-op like some of you ladies are near for cereal. The co-ops around here only have raw grains and chemicals for animals etc.

March 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that's alot for milk! Right now I pay btwn $3.93-$4.39/gallon depending on where I get it.
Gas went from 93cents cdn/litre up to $1.09 cdn/litre within a week.
We live 5 minutes from the city, so my small van doesn't use too much gas. This will be a short camping season for us, so we won't use much gas this summer, either.
March 20th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I was complaining cause our milk went up to 2.18......we go though almost 2 gallons a day I could not imagine spending as much as some of you ladies do! As for gas we are at 3.50, it's ridiculous. I have cut back to almost no driving and then driving the smaller vehicles.
March 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
$5.50? Wow! That's insane. Ours is about $2.29.

The only thing that gets us right now is gas since we drive a bit to school and preschool. I go through a lot of gas.

For groceries and household items I coupon. I save alot on the items that we use regularly for sure.
March 21st, 2011, 10:53 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Milk here is like 4 dollars I think. I usually get it at the exchange mini Mary though. I paid 7 bucks for 2 gallons a couple days ago. We only shop at the commissary and it does save us a lot of money and I use coupons too. When we lived in WA milk was 1.99 which was awesome!

March 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a dairy farm, so I don't have to buy milk, but I do hear everyone complain about the price of it.

Gas here is up to $114.9 now, ouch. We did actually change our summer camping plans, we were going to drive to the west coast, but for what we would be spending on gas alone we could do a lot of other fun things.
March 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
SnowAngel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Milk is roughly 3.68 but Walmart has been price matching it for a few weeks now at 2.29. Which I hope they keep doing for a while.

Gas here is 3.64. I work an hour away and so does hubby. So far we are able to handle that gas price but if it gets to 4 bucks or more I don't know if it would be worth it for me to work.

March 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had to change anything yet. We don't really use a lot of milk, sometimes a gallon a week. As for gas, I haven't really noticed a difference. I don't have that many places to go though, and everywhere I do go is pretty close.

March 23rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It hasn't been a issue for us. Milk is cheap at Costco, and gas is around $3.50 depending on where you are in the city.

March 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
We go through about a gallon a day of milk but it isn't too bad. The warmer it gets the less the kids drink milk. We only have one car and Rich isn't really working so we don't go through much gas either.

I had bought 1/6 a cow from my in-laws cheap and I am looking forward to growing some veggies and herbs this summer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search