At what age...

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
do you think children are old enough to start helping out with dishes?

Laundry?

(This is a spin-off of a topic that came up in my ddc, I was surprised to see some of the responses. So of course I couldn't wait to get the opinions of you ladies!)

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

March 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
6. 6 is the magic age around here where you get real work, not just "helping" work. My 6 yos generally switch the laundry from the washer to the drier, help fold, and put away their own stuff. They can start rinsing and stacking dishes then, too. We don't have a dishwasher, so they work in pairs, one scrubs/one rinses and stacks. I have a back log of kids old enough to do this, though, so I have started adding in floors/dry and put away. So really, I could have the 5 oldest all working. I don't usually, though. I have 2 who do breakfast/lunch and 2(the oldest 2) who do dinner.
March 24th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
N is four and unloads the dishwasher and switches the laundry, and he's just learning how to fold towels.
Six hey, hmmmm, can't wait!!

Lucky mother to five!

March 24th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not letting my kids near the laundry right now. I have an efficient system, plus I am particular how it gets sorted. I will however, teach them in time so that they'll know how to do it when they don't have me to do it for them. I do make the older ones put their own stuff away.

For dishes it's about 7, and I do the washing and they do the drying and putting away. This works out this way because I have 1 kid help me mon-thurs.

I guess I don't have my kids do any "real" cleaning as far as bathrooms/mopping/vacuuming, I enlist them when it comes to tidying up-5 little people putting things away makes for fast work, and they have their pet chores and they take turns helping dh in the barn.
March 25th, 2011, 06:54 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 5 yr old swaps laundry and empties the low stuff from the dishwasher. She also puts away her own laundry and I will team up my 5 & 6 yr olds to clean a floor. My 6 yr old loves to vacuum and sweep.

March 25th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We start at 4 with little things.. putting diaper wipes away, setting silverware out. Everything else just comes. I do notice that the first born and second born are by far the most ambious, the next one is a boy and he will coast if you let him A couple of days ago the kids mopped the floors for me while I sat at the table and read a book.....large families are so worth it!

March 25th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think my kids are spoiled, the housekeeper does floors and bathrooms, and we use a dishwasher, I might have to rethink some of this

Lucky mother to five!

March 25th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I am going to have to get my chore charts going again
March 25th, 2011, 02:25 PM
nicolelogg's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You all must have front load washers, because my 7 year old isn't even tall enough to get the clothes out of the washer. My 7 year old and 5 year old both help pick up toys, but my kids are not allowed in the kitchen, we have a gate so they can't get in there. It would be chaos if we let them.
March 25th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lucy is 2 and she can unload the dishwasher. She loves helping her older sisters and learned on her own, so I let her on her own. The older 3 can do it all, some better than others. They all take turns.

March 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I have just started getting my younger set involved in helping around the house, honestly it is easier for me to just get it done and holler out what I need help with. As for laundry some of mine wash their own and then the rest of the laundry I sort and put in the basket and they throw it in and switch it. My 9 year old was taught this weekend how to do it.

Overall I do 80% of it I can do it in an hour or two, whereas they just take to long, I have no patience for it.
March 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well my kids like cleaning so they started really young. My daughter was 2 and doing dishes(not as a chore,as she asked).My 6 year old occasionally asks to do dishes and he'll put them away.

My son and daughter both put laundry in the dryer and take it out. They do that on their own also. One of their only chores is putting their folded laundry away.(we have front loading washer and dryer)
March 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
My girls team up and unload the dishwasher. I wash and fold their clothes but they put them away. Also they help clean off the table after dinner. They are almost 6&5

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search