What do you do with baby clothes

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
when you are all out of closet and dresser space?

I'm needing some good ideas.
March 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Donate them
March 24th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, we get rid of so much stuff. I don't know what your day to day life looks like, but my kids really only wear 3 things. So I don't keep a lot. Especially for the super littles. I let the older kids pare down things as needed, but I don't keep a lot for baby.
March 24th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I have 5 trash bags of clothes sitting in the garage ready to be donated. I also took out all the soon-to-be hand-me-downs and put them in our storage barrels out in the garage. Can't wait to pack up all the maternity stuff, that might help a bit.

I guess need to purge again. We have too much stuff.
March 25th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL
I totally hear you.
I have been donating about a bag or so a week in order to minimise before we move and I still can't figure out why we still have so much.
I am constantly getting rid of things.

I donated everyting baby after my last and now that we are expecting again, I am going to have to bring back in everything baby. It never ends, lol
March 25th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We really don't have that much. I try and only keep what we need and use, the rest I don't buy. We only shop garage sales for clothes, so they only get new ones for gifts, so it's not to bad. My mom is terrible at garage sales in the summer though..."everything was a quarter so I got these bags for you", and we can never use it! She always gets wrong size/season. I don't understand her, so anyway, we donate it. We don't have the space to keep extra.

March 25th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have too much, of everything. I just did E's inventory in size 3: at least 12 pair of jeans, 14 skirts/shorts, 20+short sleeve t's, 12 long sleeved t's, 15 dresses. ALL in current size. This in insane! And she's not a kid who changes more than once a day, either. The twins have at least double that. Time to pare down.

E's size 0-2y, now in a box to sell or donate since I'm having a boy. If by some miracle we have #6, we'll just rebuy, I now realize I don't really need as much as I have for kids' clothes

Twins 0-18months-in a box for new baby, though all 0-12mos was sold or donated anyhow, so I'm starting over from scratch for nb boy clothes.

I'm storing too small clothes in bins in the master WIC labeled by gender and size right now

Good thing dh has two jobs
March 25th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I give pretty much everything away too. I keep a bit of Noah's and the girls' clothes to hand down. As for baby clothes, the last 2 kids we really didn't "plan" on (lol) so I gave away everything and we just bought new.

March 25th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I store it all. I don't want to buy all new clothes if I have another. I'll never run out of storage space, so eveything goes into those big tubs. I also separate them from boy and girl and sizes so everything is easy to find. However, if I hear of someone who is in a tough spot and needs some clothes, I'll give them some. I know I have plenty to share around.

March 26th, 2011, 09:32 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I ask friends with kids if they need or want them if not ill do a yard sale. Whatever doesn't get sold gets donated

March 26th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I've given all my baby clothes away after the last two, lol. But I mean what do I do with the NEW baby's clothes? We bought a dresser to put in our room for Izzy's clothes, blankets, etc. when she was born but now we have no room left in it. There really isn't any room left for another dresser and our family closet is full. We could probably redesign it so that it offers more space but not sure we can pull it off before baby comes.

I wish the weather would hurry up and decide if it wants to be warm or cold. Then I would pack up the winter things and only allow seasonal clothing in the house.
March 26th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ohh I got ya!

How is the closet space in the kids room?
If you have hanging clothes, can you buy one of those extra rails that hang off the original to make a second rail? I did that in my daughters room and that works great.

Do you have room to put a small dresser in any of the closets, like under the hanging clothing?

How about space above where the clothes hang? Can you buy some storage type wire shelves and store folded sweaters and jeans up high and free up hanging space for clothing?

Sometimes in the home mags I see super organized closets. I know they would also be super pricy but I wonder if you could look for a plan online and try to put something together yourself.

How about those flat under bed storage bins for clothes not used as often? Sweaters etc.
March 27th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OOOH ok!

I only have about 8 sets of clothing for each kid for each season. In the girls room there is:
1 drawer for undies/socks
1 drawer for short sleeved shirts/shorts
1 drawer for big girls pants
1 drawer for big girls long shirts
1 drawer for pjs
1 drawer for Becca's summer
1 drawer for Becca's winter
(that is 2 dressers and the drawers that aren't broken in the captains bed lol)

Boys have 2 dressers as well
Noah has one to himself with
undies/pjs
long shirts
short shirts/shorts
pants

littler boys share one
undies/socks RJ's pjs
RJ's shirts
RJ's pants/shorts
Bastians outfits
(broken drawer lol)

March 30th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a guest room in the basement with a large dresser full of clothing...I have those plastic bags that you can suck the air out of full of clothes under the guest bed...and I have tubs and tubs in the attic full of hand-me-downs.

For the most part all the clothing in their rooms is current except...

In the winter I take all the shorts they might fit the next summer and put them together in one bin and store them somewhere handy so I won't forget about them. Like this winter I stored them under Martins crib.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search