I know this is not the cheeriest topic...but what happens?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had this discussion in the past with friends and the knowledge that we need to put something in place but we haven't done it yet.

I got to thinking of it more this week as we had a snow/freezing rain overnight. Next day, I was on the freeway heading to pick up three of my kids from school with my toddlers and in the lane left there was a huge semi (he was ahead of me also). All if a sudden, several large sheets of ice came flying off the top of his truck and hurling threw the air. I let out a quick 'God, please don't let that hit me' which pretty much by the time it made contact, it literally just missed my front window.
It hit me so hard that it actually dented the top of my van and the little 'cubby holder' things on the top of my van popped open on the inside.

I tried to get the license plate but it was towing another truck and just going too fast for me to be able to safely get up closer on the side of it.
All I saw was the company name and couldn't really find anything useful online.

Anyhow, I am convinced that if that would have hit my front window it probably would have shattered it, probably causing an accident. I was really shaken.
I;ve had snow fly off of the tops of trucks before but these were some big thick ice sheets.

It got me to thinking more about this..
Do you have something in place for your childern if anything (God forbid) were to happen to you and your dh?
Do you worry about all of your kids being able to be together?
HAve you agreed with family members that someone would step up?

I hate to even have to think about this but I think with kids, we do. I haven't and sometimes it worries me.
March 26th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds scary! I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Do you have something in place for your childern if anything (God forbid) were to happen to you and your dh?
Not legally. We need to do it but something keeps holding me back.

Do you worry about all of your kids being able to be together?
Yes, it's easy to tell someone that you'll take 6 kids but will they actually be able to do it? (I think this my be one of the things that keeps holding me back on this decision.)

HAve you agreed with family members that someone would step up?
I know my mom will but I don't think it will be a pleasant/fun life for my kids. My oldest brother and SIL have the means and room to provide for them but they only had one child so that concerns me but they've agreed to take my other brothers children and I know they would do the same for me. We've never talked to anyone on dh's side of the family about it though...maybe we should.
March 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you have something in place for your childern if anything (God forbid) were to happen to you and your dh? Our province allows handwritten wills to be upheld, so we've done up one of those last fall
Do you worry about all of your kids being able to be together? yes, the five need to stay together
HAve you agreed with family members that someone would step up? they will legally go to my IL's, with the understanding that dh's two cousins be offered the five kids, but need to be kept under one roof. We still have to talk to the two cousins, both are married and want big families. They are our age and only have 1-2 kids. Both their houses are big enough, they live near our IL's, and there will be enough money for our kids to be taken care of. And they've also got very similar parenting styles to ours
March 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a will in place. After Savannah was born, I really pushed the issue until we got it done. DH and I talked long and hard about everyone we knew and we settled on one of DH's sisters and her husband. She's already got 3 kids. She's dealt with medical issues with her youngest so wonderfully so we know she'd take excellent care of Nicky. The kids have only seen her a handful of times, but everytime they take right to my SIL and her husband. Her kids are older than ours and I think she does a WONDERFUL job with them. We talked to her about it and she was more than thrilled to accept guardianship if something happened to us (not thrilled about something happening to us LOL). And we specified to her as well as in our will that all 4 kids have to be kept together under the same roof and plans have also been made as to what happens if there comes a time where she and her husband are unable to do so. I feel comfortable in knowing that she also feels it's important for them all to be together. If something happens to both Brian and I, she is the secondary beneficiary on our life insurance policies (we are of course each other's primary beneficiary). I had a copy of our will sent to her directly because I know if something should happen to us, my family will try to fight our decision. I also left a letter to my mom attached to the copy of our will that we have explaining why we made the decision we made in hopes to smooth everything over if anything like this would ever happen.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

March 27th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a will. My brother and his wife will get all of our children, they have the same religious values as us and love our kids. They have 5 of their own.
March 28th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We haven't done anything and it really weighs on us. We would want all 9 to stay together, but realize that might not happen. I have one brother, no kids, but a girlfriend with 2 kids, and he said no. My SIL is married with 2 kids and done and they wouldn't take them. My mom and inlaws are to old and wouldn't do it....we can't even get them to babysit . So that leaves friends. Now I'll have to start thinking again about this. Good topic!

March 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Veteran
Do you have something in place for your childern if anything (God forbid) were to happen to you and your dh? We are starting this process now. Hubs called for Life insurance and we need to set up a will. I go nowhere without the Hubs, so if something were to happen to him, then it would most likely happen to me too.

Do you worry about all of your kids being able to be together? Yes! There's no one I know that would be able to handle 7 children, plus their own.

HAve you agreed with family members that someone would step up? My Mom passed away 4 years ago. She was the only person the Hubs and I could agree on to care for our kids. No one since she's passed away has even babysat our children. My brother said he'd take care of them, but only if we had life insurance. Not because he's greedy, but he's worried he'd never be able to take care of the kids on his income. Funny, because him and his wife make 10x more than the Hubs makes and they have 2 children. (different priorities though, I'm sure.) So.....we're kinda stuck. My Dad would take them in a heartbeat....but he's 65 and is not well. There's a good friend of ours that I know would take very good care of our children, but I just don't think her husband could handle 7 kids. So, this is one area we still need to work out, until of course, our oldest is 25.
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
March 29th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any one who is really in the position to take our kids. There are a few that say they would try but I know that if I do decide to have anymore they will no longer be willing.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search