Suggestions for my particular 4 y/o?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My 4 year old is in preschool. He's very smart. He's also very particular about things.

For example, he went into preschool already being able to write his first and last name and every morning in school, the kids get their name tag and have to write their first and last name. No problem. After a little while they added phone numbers so now every morning he writes his name and phone number.
This week they are going to be switching to addresses. This has me concerned.

What happens right now is that Caden will literally want his name to be 'just right'. He will erase letter after letter if he thinks it's not right. I have NEVER encouraged this behavior. Parents stay during this time and I always tell him 'That looks fine honey, leave it there, great job etc etc but if it's not right to him, he erases it and starts over.
It's at the point where when he goes in to get his name tag and pencil, he instantly looks for a pencil with an eraser on top, as if, he already knows whats coming.

I have never been on my kids about things being perfect. I just don't know where this comes from. My dh is a finish carpenter/builder and he is very precise/perfectionist, but not with the kids. Can this be a hereditary trait? Is it learned?

Since Caden was about two he would do things like line up his crayons in his crayon box so they are all in lines, if he puts a blanket down it has to be super falt and smooth. From the time he started coloring at 2 he was very time taking and particular. By the time he was three he was in the lines and coloring better than my 5 year old.
He gets very upset sometimes if things aren't going smoothly and he is VERY headstrong. He will snap out of it really quickly but there is no telling what it is that brings him out of it.
He gets upset if one of my other kids are sick and touches him, he doesn't want to get germs.

Dh & I were talking about this the other day and dh said 'well thats not good, you need to tell him thathis name is fine however he writes it'. I honestly DO.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions. I know all children are different, I just really worry about this trait that he has. It may be good later in life, but he's 4. Am I just over worrying? I justtry right now not to pay so much attention to it but I guess I am worried about it.

I have asked him 'Honey when you are at school, why are you always erasing your name, it looks just fine?' and he shrugs his shoulders and says 'because it didn't look good' or it was too big/small etc, like no biggie.

Last edited by MommySiobhan; March 26th, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
March 26th, 2011, 07:48 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say it sounds like he has a little of OCD tendencies. My youngest is the same way. He erases things constantly. Especially his name. He is in kindergarten so he is always erasing things and trying to make them perfect. He doesn't like his dresser drawers left open a crack - and will get up out of bed to close them if I left them open. He likes his clothes laid out a certain way. He gets dressed in the same order every day. I just chalk it up to his little personality. He doesn't have a major fit if I make him do things differently but I see it could get worse when he gets older.

I think it's just your child's personality and wouldn't worry too much about it yet.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

March 26th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks. Now that you mention clothes, he always likes me to lay his clothes in the same spot in the morning. He likes to know right where to expect them.

Thanks for the input.
Thinking now about the germs, he probably gets that from me. I have had my mom tell me I am worrying about germs too much. (I still disagree, lol) but I do know that my 4 y/o is SUPER observant.
March 26th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He sounds like a perfectionist. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I'm super picky about my handwriting too. None of my kids could care less about it though and it drives my crazy. I also used to be pretty anal about how laundry was done but I had to get over it because I needed help with getting it finished, lol! I think everyone has their little quirks about them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search