What do you do for snacks? (asked in frugal mommies too)

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you do for cheap snacks for your 'army'?

March 27th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we don't do alot of snacks, just bigger meals, but I like to give them fruits and vegs with water-they really like raw carrots and apples. Their "treat" will be cookies either I bake them or I buy big boxes on sale at Costco--the real "snacks" are saved for school lunches here--its just so expensive since we fly thru them if I go all willy nilly, plus my kids don't need the sugar

Lucky mother to five!

March 28th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We do a lot of fruit. It also gets expensive, but I don't like feeding them stuff with all the preservatives and sugar. We also do 3 bigger meals a day to encourage them to eat their meals. We don't allow them to go into the cupboard and just help themselves. We have a dry erase board that has meals and snacks on it for the day and we follow that. I make that up the night before. We do a movie night on Friday nights and we have popcorn for that. But with homeschooling, we get away from a lot of the packaged snacks, which are expensive.

March 28th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My family snacks, and not just the kids. I buy a certain amount and when it is gone it is gone until my next shopping trip. I buy lots of crackers cause you can dip those into dressing, put peanut butter or jelly on them, use then with tuna....we even put melted cheese on them. I buy fruit's and some veggies. I also keep bags of salad on hand cause my kids could eat that all day everyday.

I also buy popcorn, not the microwave kind, bags of it and pop it myself. I pop it up and make some with just salt and butter flavored oil, others I put cheese on and then what we don;t eat right away we store for the next day.

Toast is another big thing in the house also.
March 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM
SnowAngel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cheese, fruits, veggies, crackers

But usually the older kids will make a sandwich as a snack.

March 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
lots of fruit, grapes are awesome for the older ones that you don't have to worry about choking. They seem to go along way.

I cut up blocks of cheese at once for cheese and cracker snacks. I occasionally throw on some slices of ham and we have our own (much cheaper) lunchables.

Saltines w/ peanut butter and jelly. Like a sandwhich but smaller (neater for the littles) and saves on bread.

Wheat thins w/ avocado. Our newest love.

Yogurt smoothies. Right now we like the ones made w/ vanilla yogurt, milk, ice cubes, and half a can of frozen OJ concentrate.

Yogurt w/ either granola topping or cheerios.

Celery and peanut butter. The kids don't love this but if I add a little honey to the pb they eat it alot better.

Guacomole, not exactly the healthiest but it's better than store bought dips (and we LOVE it!)

I can't think of anything else atml.
March 28th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Fruit, veggies, or cheese. Sometimes I'll offer a cereal bar if it will be a while until the next meal.

March 29th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtothe5thPower View Post
lots of fruit, grapes are awesome for the older ones that you don't have to worry about choking. They seem to go along way.

I cut up blocks of cheese at once for cheese and cracker snacks. I occasionally throw on some slices of ham and we have our own (much cheaper) lunchables.

Saltines w/ peanut butter and jelly. Like a sandwhich but smaller (neater for the littles) and saves on bread.

Wheat thins w/ avocado. Our newest love.

Yogurt smoothies. Right now we like the ones made w/ vanilla yogurt, milk, ice cubes, and half a can of frozen OJ concentrate.

Yogurt w/ either granola topping or cheerios.

Celery and peanut butter. The kids don't love this but if I add a little honey to the pb they eat it alot better.

Guacomole, not exactly the healthiest but it's better than store bought dips (and we LOVE it!)

I can't think of anything else atml.

My kids love yogurt with cheerios mixed in, it's great for little learners also!
March 29th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We also do quite a bit of fruit. I try to make sure I always have apples, bananas, grapes & the little oranges that they can peel themselves. I have an orange peeling phobia, LOL.

Cheezits/goldfish
Yogurts.
Veggies
Soup
March 29th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
fruit, carrots, homemade cookies, mini-muffins, yogurt, mix of peanuts and raisins

after dinner/dessert snacks that aren't good for you but cheap - popcorn drizzled with a little melted chocolate, homemade pudding, rice krispy treats

March 31st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Mommy to Many
I feel so bad reading this list! For snacks we have fruits, cut up veggies, crackers, cheese/peanut butter, pretzel sticks, prepackaged snack cakes, lunchables, granola bars, fruit snacks, cereal bars, trail mix, chips, rice crispy treats, uncrustables... pretty much whatever is convenient based on the time we have to prepare. On the weekends I make snack and it is usually a fruit smoothie and half a sandwich or similar. After school snack could range from fresh baked cookies, to a fruit parfait, to something out of the snack drawer. I like to send snack to school and they get to pick it out of the snack drawer or take a piece of fruit (apple, banana, or baggie filled with grapes or strawberries). We admittedly spend a lot in groceries but we shop in bulk. I serve healthy meals but I (shamefully, honestly) don't really mind if their 2 snacks per day aren't entirely healthy.
March 31st, 2011, 07:53 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why do you feel bad? You've got some great snacks on your list. In fact, I'm glad you listed fruit parfaits. I'm going to buy some frozen fruit and make those this weekend. They sound sooo good.

I also think that people label foods differently. We call sweet foods (cookies, cakes, etc.) 'treats' rather than snacks because snacks can be eaten 3 times a day and my oldest has to limit her sweet foods. So we try to make them understand that 'treats' are every once is a while. We still eat them though.

Good to see you back, btw!
April 1st, 2011, 05:07 AM
Mommy to Many
LOL! I always feel bad when I see how healthy other mothers are feeding their babies. It's all good, though. It is what it is! LOL! Glad to be back. Thanks!
April 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Snack is usually always popcorn, animal crackers, those wafer cookies or fruit. I have a problem because Sebastian is SOO FREAKIN picky. The only fruits he will eat is grapes and bananas, which isn't bad, but I'm sure the other kids get bored, and it's not fair that I give him 'special' stuff when I tell everyone else they have to eat what is served. He will also only eat popcorn with sugar on it. I pop my own in the pan too. He'll eat any type of cracker, but things like goldfish are super expensive (to me anyway), some of the non-name brand crackers taste kinda gross, like off brand cheese-its.

April 14th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Fruit, carrot sticks, crackers, string cheese, goldfish, yogurt.

I only serve one snack a day (in the afternoon) so that keeps it under control. If it was up to the kids they'd snack all day and not touch their meals.
April 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
We do : string cheese, yogart, crackers, lots of fruit, the occasional poptart or smoothie, pudding, popcorn, etc. My biggest snackers are my 3youngest kids, all boys ages, 6, 4, and 1. My almost 6yo is currently going through a growth spurt and is eating me outta house and home! LOL

April 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM
We also only do one snack, in the afternoon. About once every two months I have to send something to school for the class for RJ.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search