Another ? when considering #5

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2011, 02:58 PM
Super Mommy
I still have all my kids in booster or car seats. We just bought a 2001 Ford Windstar. Has anyone had 5 in car seats in a minivan? If so, how did it work? I'm just going through everything in my head before we make a decision. I had a Ford E-150 (8 passenger) for awhile, but I don't want to get anything that big again as the gas mileage was terrible.
March 31st, 2011, 03:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My van now (toyota sienna) and van before this (chevy venture) both seated 8, so we didn't have problems with car seats. It takes some searching to find 8 passenger minivans though, but I still prefer a van to anything bigger.
March 31st, 2011, 03:20 PM
Super Mommy
I think I might attempt to put another car seat in our van and see if it would work. I was looking for an 8 passenger minivan, but there weren't many in my price range.
March 31st, 2011, 04:09 PM
Veteran
We had a 2007 Dodge Mini Van. We had 2 car seats in the 3rd row and my 8 year old would sit between them. She was so squished (and she is a twig). I hated to go bigger because of the gas, but we really had no choice. We now have a suburban and surprisingly, it gets better gas mileage than our Van did.
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
March 31st, 2011, 04:22 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had 5 in car seats (yet) but I've heard that you can fit 3 radians across a bench seat. It would be a cheaper option that buying a new car.
March 31st, 2011, 04:39 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sunshine kids carseats are supposed to fit 3 across, you could do that in the back then 2 carseats in the middle, bucket seats. SK are pretty $$ though about $300 each, but like pp said, it's cheaper than a new vehicle.
March 31st, 2011, 04:54 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It works, I have a 96 Caravan and fit 5 seats before. You just need to get the right carseats and put them in the right spots. If you go over to the carseat board here on JM they can help you out.

March 31st, 2011, 09:22 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a 2005 Caravan and across the backseat I have: Graco Naut, SKRadian, and a Britax Marathon, all FF
2nd row bench: I have two builtins, but I have another Marathon and I'll have the infant carrier there.
Mine are all in carseats/5pt boosters for another 3 years at least
All further new seats will be Radians or Nauts

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
April 1st, 2011, 04:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a 2002 Ford windstar and 5 kids, also 5 of who have been in car seats/boosters at the same time.

I have a bench seat in the back, where I have had a booster on the left and right and a big britax in the center. It attaches in by the safety hooks on the car seat into the little silver hooks in the vans seats.

Then there are the two captains seats. I have one more booster on one of those and another big britax car seat on the other.

Totally works.
We are having #6 and this is no longer going to work so I also have to think of other options.

Good luck!
April 1st, 2011, 05:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I only have 4 but I have 3 across the back so I can stow one captain chair. We have a 2009Dodge Caravan

We have 3 radians across the back all FF. The only issue is that there are only 2 anchors for tethering 3 seats across the back. The seats all fit and they are in by either seat belts or the hooks but the tethering does NOT work the way it should. I know that the radian website says they are tested w/o tethering but all the car seat people gave me a hard time about my set up. Only because I have 4 seats with tethers (2 captains, and 2 seats in the back) but I chose to not set up that way so one seat has a make shift tether point just becuz I like having the extra space with the one chair stowed.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

April 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
momoftwinsand1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a plymouth voyager and now have an odyssey and in both of those I can fit 3 graco turbo boosters in the back row, or 2 boosters and a evenflo (cant remember the name of it. I dont use the tether with any of mine. I use seatbelts.
John Allen 4-4-06, VBAC 6 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches long
Paige Belle 5-21-07, VBAC 5 pounds 9 ounces 17 inches
Ava Marie 2-28-09, VBAC 5 pounds 10 ounces,16 1/2 inches
Jackson Douglas 2-13-13, VBAC 6 pounds 5 ounces, 19 inches
April 4th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With the 8 passenger Odyssey the only spot that might be a problem is the middle seat in the 2nd row.
I can't fit a booster in there right, the seat seems slim. I have 2 5 pt in the back, I also used the seat-belts only for those both FF, then the booster for Sydney, and in the 2nd row Sebastian is behind driver side I use the latch for that, and Noah and Jayde just sit on the seat. Technically I am breaking the law for 6 days until her 8th b-day by not having a booster for her in there...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search