Age difference

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM
sunny mama's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi. I don't post here regularly, but figured this would be the place to ask this question Is there an advantage to having children very close in age? Would they be best friends and play together? And, if yes, what age span would allow for that? TIA!
April 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think there's advantages and disadvantages to every age spacing. It really depends on what the parents prefer. My kids range from 12 to 2 (at the moment). With the first 2 being 5 yrs apart and my closest spacing being 19 months apart. The farther apart they are the more the older ones can help with the younger ones. The closer they are the more you can combine (diapers, clothes depending on gender, toys, activies etc.). All my kids are pretty close but like I said 19 months is as close as I'm going to get so I really can't say if they'll be best friends if they're super close. Probably just depends on the kids personalities more than anything.
April 11th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
My younger two are two years apart and I was concerned they were too close together but I love it. When Esme outgrows something, I stick it right into Clara's drawer. But my 4 yo and 8 yo love playing together so, in terms of their relationships I don't think age makes a huge difference but convenience wise closer is nice.

April 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the tone of the home determines the relationships between the sibs. I think that helping them learn to prefer one another, regardless of age, sets them up for tighter relationships down the road.

Also, I live my life by NTNP. So some are 3 years apart, some are 15 months apart. It really isn't up to me and the babies come when they are ready. That way, when they have a conflict, I can say "well, you are the older sister, if you don't like that, take it up with God".
April 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have 4 with one more on the way. They are spaced as followed....

#1 & #2 2 yrs 9months
#2 & #3 19 months 12 days
#3 & #4 19months 11 days

My oldest three are all girls and the youngest is a boy. The three girls get along great (they all share a room). The oldest and second oldest didn't really begin to play together until my second was about 18months. They really became buddies around when she turned three. With my third she the play was much the same she really joined in around 18 months and plays all their pretend games and other stuff fully now that she is three. As for my youngest they all play with him but he is only 17 months so they just are more or less entertaining him. I like the closer age but I am very glad that my older two are space like they are because my oldest is really at a good age for helping out quite a bit. I say about 18months- 2 years is a good gap for creating a good bond. but it all works out in the end regardless of their spacing.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

April 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Twins then a 20 mth gap
then a 17 mth gap

So I have pretty close spacing and nothing bigger to compare it too. I can say that I am tired of the baby stuff so I'm glad to have had it all a bunch in a row and now be done. I can't imagine storing all this crap for several years.

But there are many days where I am pulling my hair out. Having a kid with special needs and a bunch of little ones I just want to throw in the towel sometimes.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

April 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The biggest gap between my kids is almost exactly 2 years. The rest are 15-18 months.

It works pretty good because my older girls wear the same clothes in that sense, but Sydney (#3) is a LOT more immature for only being 15 months younger and kinda associates more with the other 3 younger kids in the 'being friends' sense. If we have another baby it will be the furthest spaced.

I CAN say that my brother and I were the only kids and we are 3 years apart and we fought as bad, if not worse, than my kids fight lol.

April 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids are all about 18 months apart. Smallest gap is 17 months, biggest gap is 19.
I really love having them this close together. Yes, it is alot of work but is also amazingly rewarding.

Friendship goes in spurts, they can be best friends or having a he said/she said war. For the most part though, honestly, they all get along pretty well.
My littler ones learn so much from the older ones also.

When our new baby arrives the gap os going to be 3.5 years. This will be our biggest gap, so I'm curious to how this works out
April 13th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My biggest gap is 3 years between 4 and 5 and I have to say that for me it was nice (the older ones being a bit more independent) but it's about as much as I'd want for the child herself. Now that she's a little older she does play nice with her next sister up, but they pair up in different combinations all the time. My others are 19, 18 and 24 months apart and I do find that a nice spacing.
April 14th, 2011, 07:03 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our age gaps are 22 months between one and two, almost 4 years between two and three, 11 1/2 months between three and four, almost 4 years between four and five.

The 11 1/2 month gap was the hardest when they were little but now it's easy. They are also my closest as far as a bond goes. They do everything together but my oldest is also really bonded with our youngest.

April 14th, 2011, 10:15 AM
SnowAngel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My closest gap is a year and five days apart. They loved each other when they were younger now they fight most of the time. Its easier for me anyways when the gap is bigger.

April 15th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it all depends on the family. We have 8 kids, 9 in September, and our oldest is 10. So all pretty close. The closest are 10 1/2 months, that was close. But it all works out. We also don't plan when they come, so God decides the spacing, and His is always perfect. Try not to worry to much, it all works out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search