At what age did your kids

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
really grasp singing their ABC's and writing their names?

Any tips on helping those with little ones that are struggling?
April 12th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 6 yo still writes his letters upside down and backwards. I don't know about singing the abcs. He could when he was 3. I don't know if he can now. Next time I see him, I will ask.

Tips? Just keep practicing. If they are under 8 and boys, I wouldn't worry. After that, then maybe do some checking. I don't know anything about dyslexia, etc, but it would be worth looking into if they are 9 or up.
April 12th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sydney is going to be 7, she's in 1st grade, and still doesn't write all of her numbers and letters. She has a summer b-day so we are debating holding her back to repeat 1st grade. They give her o/t at school to help with writing the letters and holding her pencil correctly etc. I think asking for extra help through school is always a possibility. She is actually the 1st one to ever have o/t at that school and it was actually pretty easy to get her signed up for it. Just two meetings at school and a little paper work. It kinda helps that she's teachers pet too. Her teacher really LOVES her. I'll be sad if her teacher transfers schools like she's thinking of doing.

Last edited by Repti.Mom; April 12th, 2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: ..aparently I don't know my own kids ages lol
April 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My youngest was singing ABC's at about 18 months. At the time, I was singing them with my 2.5 year old, so they learned together.

Writing name about 3.5 for my now 4 year old. At preschool each morning they write their name, address and phone number. He's 4.

I am picturing kindergarten writing and remember seeing backwards letters with most of the kids.
By 1st grade, I would say they had them all down.
April 13th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My kids could sing their ABC's at two and write their names around 4. For writing their names every time they draw a picture (starting from when they are little tiny things and scribble) I let them watch me label it. I'll say "C-A-R-R-I-E spells Carrie." After a while they just take over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommySiobhan View Post
My youngest was singing ABC's at about 18 months. At the time, I was singing them with my 2.5 year old, so they learned together.

Writing name about 3.5 for my now 4 year old. At preschool each morning they write their name, address and phone number. He's 4.

I am picturing kindergarten writing and remember seeing backwards letters with most of the kids.
By 1st grade, I would say they had them all down.

My kindergartner still has some reversals too. Her teacher told me that it was normal, and that they don't get concerned unless they are still doing it towards the end of first grade.
April 13th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't read the second part of your post, or I missed it.

For ABC's, it was our car song. We would sing it while in the car, like I said my 18 month just ended up picking up on it as he heard it repeated so often.

With letters and names, what about dotting out the letters and having your little one trace over his/her name. You could do it daily, whenever they make a picture/craft etc. My now 8 year old learned how to write his name this way when he was in 3 year old preschool.

I mean by dotting, where you draw the name in lines, kwim?
Also, a big help when we were doing this with my oldest was foam play mats in ABCS.
We set it up in the toy area and we would turn it into a game. "Ok, go jump on the letter A" etc. We'd spell out her name and then say "A-R-I-E-L-L-A, Ariella!"
This way she started to recognise the letters which helped in writing them.
April 13th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I missed the ABC thing too. I guess around 2.5 or 3? Sebastian is a little different, he's 21 months and doesn't really talk at all, we're working on it

April 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Generally mine are around 5. They do sing the abc song and some write their name sooner, but that's more memorizing than understanding.

I'm always amazed how competitive people get about this, I think kids are expected to learn so much so soon when they're really just busy figuring out how the world around them works. And I've heard many parents say their child is so advanced for their age, and not denying their kids are smart but I've only once seen a child that really was way ahead (she was reading at 4).

It seems to me that moms with more kids are much less competitive and far more relaxed about it.
April 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't even bother starting to teach them those things until they are around 3. I'd rather them have fun playing before the pressure of schooling starts. So far the school age kids have learned those things by the middle of kindergarten.

April 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by #5in2005 View Post

It seems to me that moms with more kids are much less competitive and far more relaxed about it.
I've noticed that too! I think it's because if you have one or two kids who are super smart/well behaved/whatever it's really easy to think it's due to your awesome parenting. But then when you have a few more kids you realize that some kids just hit milestones earlier or later, and have their own unique personalities, despite the fact that they've all had basically the same parenting and upbringing.
April 14th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Singing ABC's 18mths to 3yrs (Nathan didn't talk at all until he was 2.5 so he was late)
Writing name - 3yrs. Rae still writes letters backwards at 4. Nathan does better but I think it's cuz his visual memory is unique, the kid can do puzzles upside down/brown cardboard side up. Its amazing how his brain works so differently.

for ABC's, just singing it a lot. We sang it every time I pushed the kids on the swings. Writing Name, I start with a template of their name in all caps. Then I give them the letters and have them line them up in the right order following the template. Then they put the letters in the right order w/o the template. Then tracing their name or connect the dots, then doing it themselves.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search