Naps

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm being a little selfish but can you tell me when is the earliest that a kid can normally go w/o napping?

I am hoping that in the fall when my youngest is 2.5 that we can be done with naps. Is that reasonable or just mean? I know all kids are different. I just want everyone to go to bed at the same time.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

March 9th, 2012, 06:27 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I want mine to keep taking naps, so I don't know what to tell you. My 3 yo and almost 2 yo still nap everyday, they both go to bed early enough too, before the bigger kids.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
March 9th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sebastian takes a nap, he's a little over 2.5. Becca sometimes falls asleep downstairs in the playroom in the afternoon too. Bastian will still take a nap this coming school year when he comes home from school, until he stops sleeping during them anyway.

The little kids go to bed at 6 here and the big kids are in bed by 7:30, so I guess that's pretty early too.

March 9th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids stopped napping at 2. Poor me, lol.
If I go sonewhere in the afternoon, my 4 year old will *sometimes* fall asleep on the car, otherwise no naps.
I never forced naps, I think if they need it they will nap. We did do 'quiet time' for a while and when I noticed that they weren't falling asleep anymore, I let them stop napping.
March 9th, 2012, 11:09 AM
HeavensMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just depends on the kid here, my #4 stopped napping a few months ago at about 2.5. I think the longest mine have went taking naps is 3.

From now until 2/29, donating HALF of all proceeds to Olly
Free giftcards?!? Swagbucks
March 9th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine don't take regular naps past two, usually. There are days that they will still nap but other days when it just isn't happening.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

March 9th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I'm mean cause I stop naps between 14 months and 2 years. The minute they stop going to bed by seven naps go out the door. I have to have a few hours in the evening of quite time or I would loose my sanity.
March 10th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I drop naps by 18 months

sleep is for night

Lucky mother to five!

March 11th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If your kids aren't napping and you are putting them to bed at 7pm do they get to see dad at all?

Right now this is what we do:
6:30 - Wake up
3-5 naps
10pm is bedtime

That way I get a break and the kids get to see their dad if he happens to be home that week. I am afraid they will miss their dad if they go to bed at 7pm.

Our Blog

March 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my dh is back to working four on/four off so on his four on I just make sure I stop in the the kids at work or he pops in at home, recently we've started calling him before Nolan goes to bed.
our schedule:
8am-four wake and four into tub
4pm-four eat supper and three year olds to bed, Nolan to bed around 6pm
Joseph of course is still getting his two naps in the day

Lucky mother to five!

March 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i can't believe how early some of your kids go to bed! mine went down about 7:30/8:00 till middle school and i thought that was early. with wyatt, he quit naps at about 2, if even then. he has not really been a day-sleeper much at all, actually he does not require a whole lot of sleep even at night. frankly, he needs medication to wind down so his average bedtime is about 8pm. with meds. without meds, he can last till 11pm easily! my daughter said he got up this morning at 3:00 wanting breakfast.

~~terre~~
March 12th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Mine nap until 3-4yo. Everyone goes to bed at 7:30pm, but my older 2 are allowed to read in bed until 8. Everyone wakes up around 8am. If naps interfered with bedtime then I'd stop them, but I haven't had that issue.

Also, DH gets home around 4:30pm, so the kids see him plenty before bed.

March 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 4 yr old still has nap/quiet time. I tried letting him go without it and he turned into a tyrant. The rest of my little ones still nap too.

March 12th, 2012, 10:25 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
My daughter was the oldest kid to keep napping; she had actually stopped around 2.5 yrs, but when the next baby came along, she wanted to be near 'her baby' so she would nap in his playpen with him. That went on from 3 to 4 yrs for her. Otherwise, all the kids stopped around 2.5 yrs.

When they were younger, they went to bed between 7:30pm & 8, but as they got older bedtimes also increased. I would still get my quiet time later at night, and I would use the time to do the last odds & ends of cleaning since it's off-peak times during the week for hydro usage, but I'm a night owl anyway.

Now that they are all teens, bedtimes are different; the two youngest (13 & 14) go to bed at 10:30pm on school nights & get up for 7 to 7:30am. On holidays it can be 11pm to midnight depending on their behaviour.

March 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote View Post
If your kids aren't napping and you are putting them to bed at 7pm do they get to see dad at all?
On the days that my husband works he is out the door by 3:30 pm and other then a few minutes before he leaves he does not really see any of us. On his days off he still sleeps but get's up early enough to visit with them before they go to sleep. While it bothers the husband there isn't much to be done about it and he just makes the time they do have together more meaningful.
March 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I want mine to nap as long as they can! I'd say they can quit between two and three though...depends on the kid. One I had nap until four. Right now Katy (1 1/2) is my only napper, and Carrie has quiet time.

Right now my kids go to bed at 8 and get up at 6:40.

Honestly, I don't think 8 1/2 hours is enough sleep for a child of any age, no matter if they nap or not. They really need that big chunk of sleep at night, especially when they are school aged and have to be "on" in the morning. I'm no doctor though...that just what I think based on my own experience. My dh goes to work at 6am so he can be home at 4pm, and then we have some time together then. When we were living in MS though he worked nights for a while, and he didn't see our school aged kids during the week. It was hard, and I'm glad he is off that schedule.
March 19th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No matter how I slice it (Naps, no naps, early bed time, late bedtime) My kids sleep a standard of 10 hrs a day. I put them to bed last night at 6:30 because it was an exhausting day and they were up at 4am. I envy Marie.

Our Blog

March 19th, 2012, 04:29 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
My kids go down between 8 and 9 depending on the age. My 4yr old doesn't take naps, but she sleeps in in the morning which works better for me. I like lazy mornings. I've never had set nap times so I can't say when they stopped. When they needed a nap, they just took one. Now if only I could have that schedule.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search