Cold showers

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How do you keep everyone having a hot shower?: Do you have an enormous hot water heater? Only wash clothes in cold water? Split up time between showers so the hot water heater can fill up again?

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

March 9th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think our water heater is that big, but we've never run out of hot water the entire time we've lived here.

We DO have a low water washer, but even when we didn't I could run the dishwasher (which I run on hot), throw a load of wash it, and take a shower and I wouldn't run out. The only thing I wash on hot/hot is diapers now.
At night the 3 little kids take a bath together every other day, and then the big kids take showers after that. I try to cut the girls to 20 minutes total or they'd be in there forever!

March 9th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our shower is in our upstairs bathroon and it seems like I can give the kids a shower all in a row and it retains enough hot water.
The bath is in the downstairs bathroom and it seems like I can only fill that up once.
The older kids prefer showers unless they want to have a soak or something, lol. If I run the bath, I usually will bath my 4&5 year olds together. Then a bit later, the older ones will hop in the shower.
I guess my answer would be I shower them one after the other or we space out the baths.

The only thing I really can't do is run the shower or bath at the same time as the dishwasher and or laundry
I try and do all the laundry during the day so that shower/bathtinme isn't affected and then I run the dishwasher at bedtime.
March 9th, 2012, 07:20 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I think I need a new hot water heater. I put 3 lil kids in the bath at once, then the two girls take showers, no more than 4-5 minutes a piece. Usually after that the boys have to wait awhile for there to be hot water again. Sometimes I can sneak one boy in then the oldest three wait.

I can't do laundry, wash dishes in the sink or anything while they bathe.

I usually have to take my shower mid mornings to get any hot water around here. I wonder if those tankless water heaters are better??
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
March 9th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a few that like to shower at night and a few that prefer to do so in the morning, so it's not a problem here.

On the odd occasion that we all need to shower the same evening I tell everyone to make it quick and as long as everyone is then we don't run out till the end. Or I'll wait half an hour so I can still have a long shower
March 9th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
#1 and #2 shower in the morning.
#3 and #4 shower in the evening
#5 and #6 take quick baths during the day (usually together) when I don't have any laundry or dishes going. The time varies really, sometimes early, sometimes later, sometimes both .

I usually shower after the kids go to school and dh showers just before bed.

There's no way we would have enough to hot water to last all eight in a row. Even if we cut it down to <10 mins.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

March 9th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Our water heater sucks and I think it is finally dying.

We just rotate around everything, there is no schedule.
March 10th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dh and I shower, then we bath the four together, we bath the baby in the sink, I delay the dw and w/d to around noon, then dh and I shower again before bed-rarely run out of hot water and we only have one tank for 4000 sq ft house

Lucky mother to five!

March 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a 40 gallon water heater. We can't do laundry or do dishes while someone is in the shower. Since we homeschool, the kids can take showers at whatever time of day is convenient.
March 12th, 2012, 09:44 AM
We don't have a huge water heater so we rotate. I give the 3 littles a bath every other night together. My older 2 take a shower on the opposite night. Hubby and me take showers in the morning. I do laundry and dishes during the day.

Last edited by blessedmamax5; March 12th, 2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
March 12th, 2012, 07:29 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think ours is 40-50 gallons. I rotate bathing times and bathe little ones together and or one right after the other, and I do them either in the am or early evening. The older 2 challenge over who goes first. I wait til everyone is in bed to start the dishwasher. I do laundry earlier in the day too.
An instant water heater is one of the things on my wish list.
March 12th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure what we have but we never run out of hot water.

March 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
We have a pretty decent size tank, and we have run out of hot water now & then if there are back to back showers, especially if I take one, so I just take one later in the day instead since I was laid off work.

I take insanely hot showers; I have never actually checked the temperature, but it would probably scald people if they touched the water lol

March 15th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
We have one of those systems that heats the water while ur in it too so we have never run out of hot water water pressure sometimes drops though.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

March 15th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
There are only six of us, and we haven't had a problem. DH and I shower in the mornings, and the kids shower or take a bath at night. The only thing is that I have to remember not to start the dishwasher or washing machine around bath time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search