What have you noticed.....

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What have you noticed has gotten really expensive over the last while? Other than filling up your vehicles.

I was at the grocery store the other day and their price for a regular sized bag of chips was $4.69 No wonder I go elsewhere to do my grocery shopping! The other 2 things I'm really noticing is cheese and coffee.

I'm finding that the combination of everything getting more expensive and the kids getting bigger a brutal combination. I walked out of wallmart the other day with 1 (ONE!) bag and it came to $101. Crazy!
March 16th, 2012, 06:50 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Beef - It is crazy expensive even for ground beef. It was much cheaper a couple years ago but now we mix ground beef with ground turkey to make it stretch and beef roasts are a treat. We eat mostly pork & chicken.

[
March 16th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Meat, cereal, dairy are the biggest but really everything is. Even if how much they have gone up is minimal because of the quantity of food I have to buy I do feel the impact.
March 16th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1 bag of what???

It seems like everything is up by a quarter or dollar. I have become real particular about waste. It drives me insane. My hairdresser told me her mom always said "it isn't the food you eat that is expensive, it is the food you throw away." that really resonated with me.
shari626 and ~mommy~ like this.
March 17th, 2012, 06:11 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
cereal, meat, milk, every **** thing.
#12 is on the way
March 17th, 2012, 07:19 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mostly just the fuel. I have a guzzler and we live quite a distance from the schools. I spend about 4-5 hours a day driving kids to and from school.
I did notice the price of chips at a reg. store, that's why I go to sam's club.
I notice downsizing too, that makes me really angry, it's dishonest.
Food waste drives me crazy too. The littles will have a "ham and cheese" sandwich for lunch, but they rip it apart and just eat the cheese or the meat and cheese. leaving all the bread behind.

Last edited by ~mommy~; March 17th, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
March 17th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh yeah the making things smaller for more money is a problem!
March 17th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's hard for me to say since we move so much....but food here in the DC area is higher than both Connecticut and Mississippi. I don't know if it always was, or if it has been going up. I spend about $800 a month, and my kids are still small. Gas is also a killer.
March 17th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
cereal, milk, electricity, diapers, printer cartridges, fresh produce--what isn't expensive up here?
March 17th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everything has gone up! Even restaurant prices.
March 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ground beef in particular is a big one. Everyone knows about that 'pink slime' being the cheapest ground meat now, and talks about how gross it is, but in all honesty it's just the cuts that could contain the most bacteria, and because the food companies are responsible for not making people sick (or getting sued) they treat it with a bunch of chemicals and make it safe for consuming. The only thing gross about it is the price of non-'pink slime' ground meat. I also buy ground turkey a lot instead of ground beef, it's only 99c a roll or something like that at aldi, much cheaper than 3something a lb for beef. Remember when ALL ground beef used to be 'waste' and it was super cheap to buy hamburger? Milk is more expensive than it used to be, but it's probably cheaper here than near some of you, cheese too. Other than that just gas, stamps, the "taxes" they keep raising on beer and cigarettes, everything is more expensive. I don't smoke but DH does, he make his own cigarettes though, at least it's not $100 a carton!

March 17th, 2012, 07:03 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Hmm, I guess for me it's the price of gas that's the worst. I don't normally pay full price for groceries since I coupon & watch closely for sales, but in general, most things have certainly gone up in price.

March 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The wallmart bag was just little things, a bikini bottom/top/shorts for #2, shorts for #1, shoes for #3 (they were only $5) dog treats, a $5 movie, air freshener. It just totally added up.

I guess I should be glad that we can raise our own cow to butcher!
March 18th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Gas. I just paid almost $7 for a lb of cheese.

I don't even make myself breakfast or lunch. I just eat what is leftover on the kids plates. Gross? Less waste? I don't care it works.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

March 18th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as it's not soggy cereal it's not too gross
Cheese is less than $5 a lb here, unless it's some fancy cheese. We ARE a dairy state though, so if ours goes up to $7 a lb I would think people in other states wouldn't even be able to afford to eat it. I read somewhere that milk is like $12 a gallon in some places in alaska??

March 18th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote View Post
Gas. I just paid almost $7 for a lb of cheese.

I don't even make myself breakfast or lunch. I just eat what is leftover on the kids plates. Gross? Less waste? I don't care it works.

Not gross, I do the same because by the time I am done making it for everyone and plating it I have not intentions of doing my own. Dinner is different and the first little hand I find trying to snag some get's stopped immediately....MINE lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
As long as it's not soggy cereal it's not too gross
I like my cereal soggy, so do my kids. I know most people find that gross but we are a little weird.
March 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I think everything has raised in price.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
March 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm also a lover of soggy cereal, but it has to be my own
March 19th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think all things have gone up. But we have also started either raising our own (which costs us more than the store), but it sure tastes better and is free of hormones. But it is tougher on the budget.

We bake our own bread, and that saves some. But milk is tough, we go through a lot of it. Gas for just DH to go to and from work is $125 a week and going up. That is a bill we realy can't do much about.

March 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Sour Amaretto's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sour Amaretto
Gas is definately the obvious... almost a 100 for a flippin minivan...seriously im gonna need to carpool to the **** grocery store. Milk is ridiculous and I cant afford it from a farmer. Trying to find a local farmer where I can get chicken/beef that I can afford but that hasnt worked out too well. I do make more breads etc now and that is saving alot. I can't think of anything that I havent noticed a price increase on... OH wait yes my husbands pay...that has NOT gone up in 3 fing years.....actually was just cut since he gets no overtime now. Its crazy how far things have come in prices just in 5 years...

Wife to: J
Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search