Breakfast

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Speaking of prices going up. Cereal! Yikes.

Does anyone do anything creative for it? I try to keep it simple and mess to a minimum so we can get on with our day. We do whole wheat banana muffins once a week, breakfast cookies once a week or so, but about 5 days a week we do cereal.

Anyone else have any quick, relatively healthy suggestions?

March 19th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eggs.
March 19th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eggs here too. I'd say we fix eggs more than cereal now. We switched in order to cut out some extra carbs.
March 19th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my kids hate eggs. we do cereal most days, and waffles or pancakes on weekends. My kids get mixed cereal, plain cheaper stuff on the bottom 3/4 with sprinkle of the expensive good sugary stuff on top
I've also started them on oatmeal once a week or so
March 19th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We do cereal or the cinnamon raisin whole wheat toast that I get from wic with just butter on it. Next year Sebastian will get to eat breakfast at school so that's one less kid I have to feed LOL The elementary school the kids went to before we moved them to this one (their home school) served breakfast too, that was cool. I guess they serve it at middle school too so maybe Noah will eat breakfast there too, depending how early it is served.

March 19th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I have chickens so egg's are pretty common..egg sandwiches are the biggest thing in the house right now. Cereal, pancakes, oatmeal, cream of wheat (the chocolate kind). I mix it up depending on how much effort I want to put into it.
March 19th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I make about 4 dozen egg burritos(eggs, bacon or sausage, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and colby cheese) to freeze every 2-4 weeks. Everyone except Nick loves them. I make several dozen muffins(strawberry recently) and blueberry pancakes to freeze once a month. It's cheaper and healthier to do it myself. I buy bulk oatmeal and the kids love that with a little milk(I do half water and half milk), raisins, and cinnamon. I keep cheerios around, mostly for Nick since he doesn't like eggs, and he's underweight so he needs the carbs. I always have fresh fruit around too.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
March 20th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! Before we moved, we had our own chickens and eggs and now my kids and Dh think "store" eggs are terrible .

The burritos are a good idea, I'll have to give them a try. Most of ours are so little yet that I don't think they'd appreciate the onions for breakfast, but it's worth a try.

March 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We mostly do cereal too. I try to buy the bigger boxes when they are on sale. Sometimes I get the bagged cereals, they seem to last longer. We do oatmeal quite often. Bagels, fruit & toast.
March 20th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post
Thanks ladies! Before we moved, we had our own chickens and eggs and now my kids and Dh think "store" eggs are terrible .
Until I had my own chickens I would have thought an egg was just an egg. So not true, but luckily mine will eat either of them.
March 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Bekki's Avatar Veteran
UGH Breakfast. I have a 5 year old with Type 1 Diabetes, and breakfast is pretty important. Unfortunately, she doesn't like breakfast. We do a lot of microwaveable french toast sticks. And danimals yogurt drinks. Not the healthiest, or cheapest thing, but she eats it. The older kids like toaster waffles too,.
March 20th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
UGH Breakfast. I have a 5 year old with Type 1 Diabetes, and breakfast is pretty important. Unfortunately, she doesn't like breakfast. We do a lot of microwaveable french toast sticks. And danimals yogurt drinks. Not the healthiest, or cheapest thing, but she eats it. The older kids like toaster waffles too,.
Dh and my oldest have T1D.
March 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mari, Did you recently move?
March 25th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Were all up at different times in my house, and everyone is so fuss about breakfast, so everyone makes their own (except for Sasha, he's not quite at that point yet)

Smoothies are popular, im waiting for the day our blender just gives up. Cereal, porridge, and toast with spreads is always an oldie but a goodie.
March 25th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Super Mommy
I only buy cereal when it is on sale and hopefully I will have a coupon too. We also have yogurt, fruit (whatever is cheap at Aldi's that week) or toast. I have been trying to make huge batches of french toast (get the cheap bread at the Hostess Store) or waffles and freezing them so the kids can just pop them in the toaster for breakfast.

March 25th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9kidsplus5 View Post
We buy store brand cereal so it's not too bad in price
Same, it makes such a big difference to the grocery bill.

I would also like to say that im very jealous of coupons in the US, I WISH we had them in Australia.
March 25th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
lol wow, I never thought of putting frozen waffles in the toaster. Dur to me!

March 29th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Egg sandwiches here to, bagels with cream cheese, we do big breakfasts on the weekends usually Sunday's our are big breakfast days. A lot of days the kiddos will run out of the house with just a banana or whatever else I can throw at them as they file out to the bus.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 14, Xandria 12, Thayer 11, Alorah 9, Nathalia 7, Malayna 5, Sawyer 3 and Ryder 2
Make a pregnancy ticker

March 29th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Oh man is it expensive!!! My kids refuse to eat anything else -I've tried getting up and cooking sausage (a favorite) and pancakes and all sorts of french toast and nope.. they want cereal. My kids won't touch an egg. We spend about $13 a week in cereal - I buy 2 of the big off brand bags. They eat a lot and it's $6+ a bag!

Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search