Momtothe6thpower

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Bekki's Avatar Veteran
DD was just dx on February 8. This is all so new to us, and so hard. Please tell me it gets easier. Everyone says it will, but ugh.
She is doing great with it, but I'm struggling.
I'm having a hard time accepting that this is forever. That we will be counting carbs forever! That life now revolves around meals and whether or not too much time, or too little, has passed between meals.
We are not schedule people. Well, we weren't.
I'm really worried about food taking over her life. I feel like we are forcing her to eat in the morning, but she's often low in the morning.
I just hate all of this. I'm trying to change my thinking, I'm just not there yet. I'm thankful she is doing well with it and she has no idea how I'm struggling.
I really questioned God's wisdom in giving us this right before we had a baby, but now I know it was best this way. Having a new perfect baby helped lift my spirits. Still, it gets me down occasionally.
March 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry, the first few months after the dx are so hard. My dd was dx'ed a month after her 3rd birthday (she'll be 14 this summer). It was horrible to say the least and I've felt those same feelings. Lyss never accepted her fate well and still to this day doesn't, unfortunately. We struggle a lot. Some things get easier. Counting carbs does become second nature. You'll eventually start to need scales and measuring cups less and less because you can just tell after so long.
Have you looked into an insulin pump? It will make your lives soooooo much easier. Once Lyss got hers we didn't have to worry about schedules so much anymore. If she wants to skip breakfast then she can. The pump is a godsend.
March 20th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Bekki's Avatar Veteran
I'm seriously so happy I found you, I could cry. I feel so alone. And no one understands. No one. My mom came out for 2 weeks after Griffin was born, the original reason was to educate her so she could stay with Emily while we were at the hospital, but Griffin came sooner than my mom, (Thank God I have a friend who is a school nurse who was able to care for her!)anyway, when my mom was here she was just so clueless....never caught on at all. Ugh!
As for the pump, I THINK her dr said she has to be dx 6 months before we can talk pump.
What I'm having a horrible time with is...this will never go away. One morning she woke up and said, "how many more days will I have diabetes?" *sob* I hate it, all of it.
Like I said, I need to change my thinking. I'm in the mad phase. And the jealous phase. I want to just go to the ice cream shop whenever we feel like it, and not have to worry about how many carbs there are!! :-(
March 21st, 2012, 06:14 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ah, poor girl (and mommy)! I hate the "when will they find a cure" question. I don't want her to lose hope but I don't want her to think it's right around the corner either.
Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people that will be able to tell you everything you need to do to get it perfect. In fact, I'll probably be better at telling you what not to do, lol!
At one time, I was jealous of an girl I knew because her son's cancer went into remission. I'm ashamed and felt like scum but I couldn't help but be jealous.
Anyway, feel free to ask any questions. I'll do my best but right now I'm dealing with teenage rebellion targeted at her diabetes so you would probably be horrified if you saw my dd's BG levels and want advice from anyone else but me, lol!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search