Are you "cool"?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By Just_Marie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2012, 11:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Because I am not. My 12 year old is the only girl in her class that's not allowed to text. I have to admit that I feel bad for her a little bit on some level, but I feel her life is much better and less complicated without it. Now when there's friend drama at school it just stays there, and we can keep it out of our house. So yes, she feels a little left out at times, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one.
April 1st, 2012, 11:41 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
My 13 yo doesn't have a cell phone. Maybe in high school, but not now.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
April 1st, 2012, 12:32 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Umm no - we're a long way from cell phone years but just yesterday I was trying to find cute short sleeve tshirts for my oldest DS (he's 4) and I was having the hardest time because I don't really care for the "cool" shirts with stuff like "Rad Dude" or skulls or stuff like that. I just wanted some cute Thomas, Cars, or Dino shirts but was only finding stuff that seemed more appropriate for teens There were several cute toddler shirts but I guess now that he wears 4T it is harder to find stuff I consider cute and appropriate for a little boy. So yeah I'm not "cool" and am down right "old fashion" about a lot of stuff

[
April 1st, 2012, 01:34 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope, not cool. A couple neighbor kids have cell phones, I wont even let the kids use their phones to call me if they are at their house. Little kids don't need to be on cell phones causing problems racking up bills. Considering the fact that it takes like 2 minutes max to walk home from either neighbor kids' house, calling from that phone makes them plain lazy too. AND the one little girl will call to tattle, so definitely don't answer that number. I might get a cell phone for each of them to share if/when they drive. Maybe.

April 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been informed that im the "fun" Mum, which is nice to know, apparently this is because I always let kids come over (not a day goes past when we dont have visitors over) I think this is me compensating from never being allowed to have friends over, not even to work on group assignments when I was a kid.

I have also been told that im the 'weird' Mum, I think that comes from my appearance more than anything I do though.

As for clothes my kids wear, as long as theyre wearing clothes I really dont care what it is, and once my kids have phones they can do what they like with them, but they have to pay for their own prepaid top-ups, so that puts a halt to excessive texting and calls very quickly.
April 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can text on an ipod touch, but she got over it pretty fast. I think a conversation helped her realize she's better off without. My oldest got a cell phone a few months ago, she's 14, and she bought it herself and pays for it herself. 2 of her friends have iphones that their parents pay for...nuts.

Cybele why are you "weird".

I am weird too, because I burst into song

I am fairly particular when it comes to clothes too, but do find that with my 14 year old I have to pick my battles, I guess not every shirt they wear can be a turtleneck
April 1st, 2012, 04:31 PM
hmcart's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to hmcart
we are not "cool" as in we dont buy ipods and ipads and such but our kids dont usually complain. They do tell us their friends think that our house is cool
April 1st, 2012, 06:02 PM
i just told laliyaah today that she has to wear turtlenecks and fishing waders everywhere once she turns 13.
#5in2005, Just_Marie and cybele like this.
April 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
well i AM cool!!! : ) but i did not have to worry about cell phones because my kids were all grown when they got theirs. but in general, i was the cool mom in the neighborhood that could (and did) actually talk to the kids and they would listen. my home was a safe haven for many, which is ironic because in hindsight i feel i was very inadequate as a parent.

~~terre~~
April 1st, 2012, 07:32 PM
Bekki's Avatar Veteran
I am super cool...my kids just don't realize it!
My older kids (now 15 and 13) wanted phones for sooo long. We homeschool, so there really was no need for one. When we moved though, we didn't get a land line. We ended up adding a 3rd cell line to our plan..it is our "home" phone, but really the boys's phone. Most of the time they have no idea where it is! I tell them all the time, "see, you don't need your own phone" Now, the 13 year old saved his money, and just got an iPad, and the 15 year old has an iPod touch, they both text on those.
I'm particular about what the girls wear, and I don't let the boys wear shirts with anything rude on it, and I'm not crazy about skulls, but they are EVERYWHERE nowadays.
April 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope, and I'm okay with that!

April 1st, 2012, 09:48 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
nope, most of my friends' teens' biggest issues come from FB and cellphones right now-I'm okay being uncool
Kierasmom likes this.

Lucky mother to five!

April 2nd, 2012, 12:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by #5in2005 View Post

Cybele why are you "weird".

I am weird too, because I burst into song
Whenever im told I look weird, I assume it has to do with the pink and purple dreadlocks down past my bottom (theyre mostly brown, I will admit) the 17 tattoos, body piercings, bindis, rainbow clothes, and on occasion I will be wearing much more skimpy clothes than my 17yr old.

I do get told often that I dont look like a Mum, my response to that is always "Really? What does a Mum look like?"
April 2nd, 2012, 03:39 AM
Super Mommy
I am not cool either! None of my kids have cell phones, but the 16 year old will probably get one when he is starts driving. None of my kids have Facebook either. There is just soooo much drama associated with these things and it is nice they don't have to deal with it.

My 15 y/o and 13 y/o both have iPod touches. The 15 y/o has the texting app, but the 13 y/o isn't allowed to have it yet. Actually my 15 y/o hasn't had his touch in awhile since it got taken away for grades. Those are up though so I think we will give it back once his Spring Break starts on Thursday.

April 2nd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Define cool?

My oldest has a cell phone and fb but she never uses either. She lost her phone. I actually know where it is but I'm waiting to see how badly she wants to find it herself. It's been about 2 months now and she doesn't seem bothered.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

April 2nd, 2012, 08:08 AM
my three oldest have fb. the 15 yo never gets on his, and the 13yo, rarely.

I have let the two oldest get tattoos, and 15 yo has piercings.

My oldest son has been allowed to go to out of state airsoft games with his buddies, but they are all older, in their 20's.
April 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I have mixed reviews on my coolness factor. In some area's I am pretty lax in others I am not. Personal expression is fine with me, only no tattoo's till 18 my DD just went and got one on her collar bone but she's 19 now and has facial piercings since 12.

As for cell phones mine were about 13, 14 and 15. They only had texting and the main reason they got them was because after school sports never ran on time and nothing made me pissier then getting their on time and having to wait 45 minutes with a bunch of little ones in the car.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search