do you feel like your family is large?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I occasionally feel like a large family when we are guests somewhere. We have quite a few 4+families around us, so it's pretty normal.

I am like mom2many, I'll see people with a few little kids and think "wow" that's busy, only to realize that mine were closer in age and I had more.
April 21st, 2012, 04:49 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't feel like a large family at all. I only have four. Seems insignificant compared to you other moms with more than twice the number I have.

My family is considered large here too. I don't get it.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 21st, 2012, 05:51 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I only feel like we have a large family when I'm trying to seat everyone at a restaurant. 5 isn't unheard of here. It seems to be the limit though. Everything after that is large.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
April 22nd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
any more than two is considered gigantic here, three is insane and a mother with five here is considered a martyr or committable
April 23rd, 2012, 04:00 AM
Valerie.'s Avatar Loving life as a mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
Where I am, 4 is large (the number of kids I have) as it's just not the norm at all; 2, maybe 3 max, but almost no-one ever has more than that.

I have met 1 family in the area with 4 and that's it. All the rest around here stopped at 2, I haven't seen any 3 kid families at all!

I'm in Ontario too and you are right, over here it's not the norm that's for sure. We have 6 and people look at us like we have 2 heads!

But no, 6 doesn't feel large to me.

April 29th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have had 4 although one has passed away. I also have one step daughter and we are currently trying for another. Everyone thinks I am crazy for having 4 already...and cant believe how many people say god bless to me. No one knows we are trying for more because they wouldnt be supportive as they think 3 or more is crazy. I dont feel like I have a large family except sometimes waiting to use a bathroom...lol.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
April 30th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have to say, when I see TV shows like 19 Kids and Counting, my family feels TINY.
UrbanMomma likes this.
May 1st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
4 doesn't feel like a huge family to me but apparently the rest of the world thinks it is. I get sooooo many comments about our BIG family. My Dh and I both are the youngest of 5 so we're a smaller family compared to what we had but even considering that most of our siblings can't believe we have FOUR because they all have 1-3. The other thing people can't seem to wrap their minds around is a single-gender family, I guess having all boys makes us freakish? lol

Facebook
May 1st, 2012, 01:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
See, that would surprise me more than the size. I know a family that has 5 daughters, same number as us, but with us people say "WOW! FIVE KIDS!" whereas to this mother, they say "ALL GIRLS!"
May 1st, 2012, 07:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
I only have four and usually no, I do not feel like it is a large family. But when I try to do something like rent a car or book a hotel room I feel like I have a large family.

May 2nd, 2012, 06:35 AM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My family doesn't feel large to me. I have two sets of kids, and the first includes an adult and almost adult children.

In my first marriage I had four children. When I remarried, I married a childless man and we now have three. I had a 7 year "break" between having babies.

So from youngest to oldest is 18 years.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
June 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
I always find it funny when we are out with our 3 youngest (all boys) and people say, "Wow! What a handful!" (keep in mind this is when they are behaving, lol...) and it always cracks me up.... because the other three are with my ex husband...giggle...

On the whole, though, we only get good comments when we are out Not sure what they are THINKING but at least they are saying good things

We took 6 of them camping this last weekend and all of the nearby campers were so wonderful and said how great it was that we took them all out to do things We had my honey's ex's oldest (9) and the youngest 5 of ours so we had 6 under 10 and it was a blast
Indymommy7 likes this.
June 5th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran
I used to think that when it was just us and our 4 that it was the "perfect" size. Now that there is us and 11 kids, I think we are a "big" family. Neither of us want more, neither of us could handle more lol

Being from a family of 9 kids, I never thought 9 was a large family, but instead once double digits was hit it was classified large.

Together we have 4 beautiful children:
Treyden (Dec/97), Emily (Jun/00), Christina (Oct/03) & Hilarie (Dec/04)

Together we are raising 7 of my nieces & nephews:
Kristina (Feb/96), Leah (Jan/98), Austin (Apr/00), Dylan (Feb/02), Mya (Feb/02), Landon (Apr/03) & Melanie (May/08)

June 5th, 2012, 12:33 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMomma View Post
Four kids felt like a lot when I had four kids, now as we have grown to ten, ten just feels normal to me.

However, four kids is considered "large" by a lot of peoples standards.
I totally agree with this. We are pregnant with our 10th and it doesnt really feel like we are adding to a huge family at all. We already drive a 15 passenger van, so not much will change for us. Plus I do have two married daughters 24 and 21 years old with grandbabies out on their own. So the children are getting older and moving on. I am 40.
June 11th, 2012, 04:37 PM
CrunchyChristian
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
See, that would surprise me more than the size. I know a family that has 5 daughters, same number as us, but with us people say "WOW! FIVE KIDS!" whereas to this mother, they say "ALL GIRLS!"
This made me laugh. I am pregnant with #5 and Dh and I don't think that's large at all...but I guess everyone else around us does because we get this same comment. Dh actually came home the other day and said, "I guess we're THAT family to everyone."- meaning we're the weirdos. But I like weird. I would love a whole bunch more kiddos if it's in the cards...I get jealous when I read the siggy's of all of you who have more than me.
Babymakes8 likes this.
June 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When we're at home, it doesn't feel like our family is large. Maybe it's because they are all off doing their own thing or playing or watching a movie. Only when we go out somewhere, and I'm either trying to get a table big enough or keep track of everyone, does it feel like a large family.

But I wouldn't trade it!
CrunchyChristian likes this.

June 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Four doesn't seem big to me either. I am the oldest of 7 and it doesn't seem like a lot when I think about it because it's just me, my two brothers, and my four little sisters but then I will see a picture of us all together and think "Wow we do look like a big family" I generally think of 10+ as being a big family but like the rest of you have said I am already getting comments (expecting #4) about how big our family is but I think a lot of that has to do with how closely they are spaced.

[
June 13th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Newbies
I do not feel like the 4 we have truly constitutes us being a large family, but I definitely get comments. 4!!!! WoW! 4 is a challenge to me at times, though. But worth every second!
June 14th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Jinnah
Where I am from (Ca), four is a lot, but here it isn't. I want five, and I don't feel like that is a lot, either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search