I just don't get it

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do people not teach their kids any respect anymore? I think unless someone invites you into their yard or you ask to play with their stuff - you stay out. My kids know that, and have since they were like three. If they're not old enough to know that then you should watch them yourself.

The neighborhood bus stop is behind my house....about fifteen kids get picked up there. A lot of the parents go to work and send their kids to the bus stop like 30 minutes early. They then come in my yard, swing on my swings, drag everything out of my toy box, break things, pull up my flowers, etc. I have told them over and over to stay out of my yard and they just stare at me. I really think one time should have been enough. This is so early that I am not even out there yet, and they wake up Katy screaming outside her window. Ugh! Plus I am homeschooling next year, so my kids won't even be on the bus, but I'll still have this group in the yard.

I think I am going to have to go talk to their parents. I haven't found them to be overly friendly neighbors, or observant parents, but what else can you do?

I wish we had a fence, but we really can't afford it. We live in military housing, and they make you go through one certain company and pay an arm and a leg for an ugly black chain-link fence. Not to mention my kids don't need the fence...it's pitiful that we need one to keep people out.
April 20th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
that sucks. kids and parents are pretty good about that stuff around here.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

April 20th, 2012, 06:38 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
a whole lot of people don't teach their kids anything......
Sour Amaretto and cybele like this.
#12 is on the way
April 20th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That would drive me crazy. I would talk to their parents, you're not being unreasonable. I'd be fine with them being on the swings but taking out the toys etc is going pretty far.
April 20th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Military housing? Can you get help from the base? I hear it is really bad for the soldier if their family causes trouble. That would dive me out of my head.
April 20th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What about bushes, or small white fencing (like the kind you use around a garden) something that creates KINDA a barrier? Maybe they would get the hint a little more?

It sounds ridiculous that they would take out your toys and play with them while they're supposed to be waiting for the bus though.. wth? I mean sure my kids have done stuff like ride down the neighbor's new wheelchair ramp, because I"m sure it looks like a really cool spot to ride their little motorcycles down, and they got yelled at by the neighbor for it and never went back. You'd think school aged kids would learn!

April 20th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I could call the security forces (police.) Since I know where they live though I feel like the right thing to do is to go speak to the parents. I'm just dreading it...I hate confrontations. There seems to be this weird group mentality on base. People think their kids are 100% safe since it's gated, so they don't watch them, and then the kids think everything they see if okay for them to get into.
April 20th, 2012, 07:45 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would talk to them. Maybe put up a No Trespassing sign? But yeah, talk to the parents first, be nice, calmly explain the problem and say "I would really appreciate it if you could make sure you children don't enter my yard when they are waiting for the bus. Thanks!"

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
April 20th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That would drive me crazy too! You have every right to request that they stay out of your yard. What a pain having to clean that mess up every morning! I'd probably make them do it before I ran them off.
April 20th, 2012, 11:27 AM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
You can contact the school & notify them of the issues and request that the bus stop be moved from it's present location.

April 20th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Bekki's Avatar Veteran
Hmm this is tough. We lived in base housing once, and just being military makes things so different. I wouldn't contact security forces yet, that will just cause more issues. But, I know, it's hard on base..everyone is so close together, and there's the issue of rank, and some airmen just have no morals and could make your life miserable. It's just a different world in the military.
We had a trampoline when we lived on base, and everyone thought it was the community trampoline. I was always telling kids to get off of it.
I think your only option is to nicely talk to the parents, because it is unacceptable.
Although Kraze's idea might work too!
April 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
See, you know where I'm coming from Bekki. It's definitely a different world on base. My dh does outrank the other parents, but just barely, and none of them work together so that shouldn't matter. I told the kids today that next time I will speak to their parents, so hopefully they'll just lay off. If not I'm going to have to follow through and go knock on some doors tomorrow.
April 20th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would have a big attitude about living in military housing. Especially if someone who 'outranked' me thought their kids could run MY life just because of what I consider a JOB.

*rant over* lol

Sorry for you guys

April 21st, 2012, 04:42 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Get a big mean dog. Ok. Just kidding. A little.

That is tough. I agree with KrazE. Get the stop moved.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 21st, 2012, 09:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you have a dog? Make a dog poop border - heh - once the parents have to clean it off their kids shoes, maybe they will be more careful where their kids step!

Of course, I'm kidding.

Kinda.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
April 21st, 2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It can't be moved because is a concrete building....like a city bus stop pretty much. So they even have a little bench to sit on and stuff.
April 21st, 2012, 03:44 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a pain! I understand though. I got a fence to keep people out(mostly neighborhood teens who caused trouble), and it wasn't cheap, but life has been much better since.

April 21st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can you just put some chicken wire up temporarily?
April 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No, because it is military housing there are strict rules about yards. The expensive black fence is the only thing I could put up...no chicken wire or bushes or anything else. Ugh. One day we will own our own home......not anytime soon though. Mostly I like it on base, but certainly it's not perfect.
April 23rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
Regular
Well, if the military is going to be so sticky about fencing and only allow you to put up the black chain link fence then the only thing I can think of, which I know sucks but it is a sucky situation, is to remove any and all items from your yard. Make it like a desert and see how long it takes for the kids to get bored running around a yard with nothing in it!

Sorry, it really is a sucky situation with no good solution by the sounds of things. If it's military housing why doesn't the military pay for fencing? Or at least give you the option of paying it off? My Dad was military but we had our own home as he would not have lasted 5 seconds in military housing!

Oh, and the parents not teaching their kids respect is definitely not just a 'military thing', that seems to be a 'worldwide thing'! I honestly don't know where everything went so wrong.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search