Our dogs..... :(

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By Bekki
  • 2 Post By Repti.Mom
  • 2 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I need some outside perspective because maybe mine is off. Last week our neighbor came flying up our driveway, we have always been friendly but not friends, she tells me that our dogs have killed her chickens and not one or two but at least 18. I was flabbergasted, I offered to help, I offered to pay. I felt HORRIBLE, my dogs will kill birds, because of that they built a pen and as far as I have known there have been no incidents in the last 2 years. They leave mine alone but aren't beyond catching the occasional wild pheasant.

About an hour later a sheriff shows up at my door. I was a little surprised cause this could have been worked out between us. It was already decided that the dogs would have to be chained up because they can't be trusted. During mine and the officers talking he said that they didn't see the dogs do it. Only that the dogs were on their property (walking towards our house) and that their had been a few other incidents. I'm not sure what other incidents because the neighbor lady never said anything to me in any of our other conversations.

In the last few days I have been really thinking about it, it's really bothered me. Except I have been coming up with more questions and I am not so sure that it was my dogs. When it happened I had only been home for 20 minutes and the dogs were in the house prior to that. I let them out put a few things away and went outside (this is were they were outside for 20 minutes) when I went out they were in the yard. Wouldn't killing that number of chickens takin' longer then say 15 minutes? There was not one speck of blood on Ace and he is predominately white and none on Layla? Wouldn't you expect to find at least a drop or two on them?

The day before yesterday she came up to clear the air. The first words were that our dogs are still going down to their property, I was confused cause they are chained then I realized she meant a few of the pups. They have once or twice gone down to play with their dog and goat, their goat and dog come up here so it stands to reason they are "friends". What I didn't say and wanted to say was well your animals come up here, eat my chicken food and tear into my trash. Your goat leaves **** everywhere and they are pebbles, it's not like I can clean them up. I wanted to but no matter who killed her chickens I feel bad and that would just be petty. So instead I am saying it to you guys.

Is my logic off and oh she wants me to pay $10 per chicken killed, after a little research that seems very high, but is it worth squabbling over?
April 23rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Offer her half of that since she has no proof it was your dogs. Also doesn't she keep her chickens fenced in or anything, so even if it was your dogs isn't keeping her chickens "safe" at least 1/2 her responsibility?
#12 is on the way
April 23rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
That's just it, they are penned in and that is why I question if in the time my dogs were outside they could have done it. They would have had to break into the pen.
April 23rd, 2012, 10:41 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Superdogs!!! Thats the answer....LOL j/k

For the sake of being neighbors, if she insists it was your dogs, I would offer her 1/2....maybe
mom2many2010 likes this.
#12 is on the way
April 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
Bekki's Avatar Veteran
None of that makes sense. I guess to keep the peace you could pay something, but $10 does sem awfully high. Did the sheriff see these dead chickens? Is there any proof any chickens were even killed? Idk...we'd probably end up paying, just to keep peace.
mom2many2010 likes this.
April 23rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
maybe there is a rogue chicken in there! j/k, but I don't know what to tell you. I wouldn't be paying 100's of dollars for something she can't prove. Keep all the dogs chained up til you can re-home them, and give her what you think is reasonable, and start shooting paint balls at the goat if he hangs around. A colorful goat should teach em
mom2many2010 and Bekki like this.

April 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
If you were to order a bunch of pullets, you would probably pay about $10 per hen. That's the going value for young, full size layers. And from experience I can tell you, a couple of dogs can ruin a flock pretty quick. We had one dog we had to put down because she killed so many of our chickens. Once she got away from a kid and killed three birds in less than a minute. Another time she got out and killed about 25 more hens- don't know how long that took her but probably not long at all. So yeah... two dogs could easily kill 18 birds in a short amount of time, especially if they were just doing it for sport.

But still, the burden of proof is on the accuser, and it doesn't sound like the case against your dogs is very strong at all. Offering to make any restitution is more than fair on your part. Good fences make good neighbors... I would be more careful to keep my animals on my own property, and insist your neighbor do the same.
UrbanMomma and mom2many2010 like this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

April 23rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
If you were to order a bunch of pullets, you would probably pay about $10 per hen. That's the going value for young, full size layers. And from experience I can tell you, a couple of dogs can ruin a flock pretty quick. We had one dog we had to put down because she killed so many of our chickens. Once she got away from a kid and killed three birds in less than a minute. Another time she got out and killed about 25 more hens- don't know how long that took her but probably not long at all. So yeah... two dogs could easily kill 18 birds in a short amount of time, especially if they were just doing it for sport.

But still, the burden of proof is on the accuser, and it doesn't sound like the case against your dogs is very strong at all. Offering to make any restitution is more than fair on your part. Good fences make good neighbors... I would be more careful to keep my animals on my own property, and insist your neighbor do the same.

I think she wants to replace them with grown hen's. She didn't say that, but it was my best guess also. Right now I can go to the local store and buy pullets for about $2 each. I also think she's looking at the cost factor of telling the people her son sold egg's to.

I understand that dogs kill chickens fast, one thing I didn't mention is that I can hear her chickens. They are not really close to the house but they are LOUD, and I never heard anything and normally if a cat get's to close to their pen they get pissed.

I'm leaning towards just paying it and be done. They are supposed to be moving (I think they are loosing the house, her husband is a contractor and when the economy tanked so did his work) then I will have no neighbors for many miles. Ugh this is just so frustrating.

Thanks everyone, I especially like the multicolored goat comment. The goats a sweety I was just peeved that she said something about the pups who are afraid of chickens.
April 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Under the circumstances, I would probably just pay and be done with it. Make sure to get a receipt from her, so she can't sue or something. If they weren't moving though, idk that I would pay without sufficient proof. She could start blaming you for any and all problems on her property. I agree with the person who said " good fences, make good neighbors."
April 23rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm trying to figure out why she called the cops after she talked to you?

I would pay since you already offered. It sucks though. It very well could have been another dog. I've actually seen that happen and unfortunately the accused dog was already put down before they discovered the dog that had actually done it.
April 23rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i have no experience with this at all ----sounds such a shame.
April 23rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been on your neighbor's end of things, except we really could prove who's dog killed my $400 Sebastopol goose. The dog warden took her to court, but we didn't do anything to get her to pay us for my goose, because we were pretty sure she wouldn't pay it. She did get a fine plus court costs and they made her fence her dogs in.

$10 for a point of lay pullet is cheap. I raise rare and fancy breeds, and one of my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens cost me $45. I keep mine fenced in a Fort Knox coop and be pretty steamed if a neighbors dog killed my $45 hen.

Hatcheries are selling POL pullest for $7.50-$15 each plus shipping - that is 15-20 week old pullets.

Really, though, if the dogs would have had to break into her coop, I do not find it believable that your dogs that were only out for 20 minutes would have been able to do that, unless her coop is dilapitated. It would take them 20 minutes to just get INTO the coop, and there would have been a TOTAL ruckus for them to be killing 18 chickens in that time!

April 24th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm wondering if she was letting them out of the coop?

This thread has taught me that I do not know 'chicken speak'. Pullet??
April 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
A pullet is a female baby chick..

She has been known to let chickens out that are to aggressive, with the understanding that if my dogs saw them they would get them, especially if on our property. Believe it or not we have gotten a few chickens that way cause there is no way in hell I would just let my dogs kill a chicken. Funny enough these "aggressive" chickens never gave us a problem.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search