what would your reaction be

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My friend has needed a new washing machine for quite a while now, and on friday, it once again needed a belt or part or whatnot. She was going to look at new washing machines tomorrow but her husband just called her to inform he had bought one.

Now, don't get me wrong, she is happy she is getting a new washing machine but not sure how she feels about having no input on what kind etc. And no, her husband is not domesticated, doesn't know the first thing about laundry.

this would not happen in my house, I would not appreciate not being consulted in the least, I would have at least wanted to look it up online before the final decision was made. And besides that, we don't buy big ticket items without checking with each other first, even if it was something I needed.

How would you react? Be glad about getting a new washing machine and leave it at that or be a little annoyed you had no say in the matter?
April 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Be glad and leave it at that. It is already done. He wanted to do something nice for her.

Maybe at some far off point in time have a talk about wanting to discuss large purchases. But not now.
April 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Edit to remove post

Last edited by KrazE; July 10th, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
April 30th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
See, ideally I would like for that to be my reaction, just take it and be glad and be done with it, but I'm afraid that I may be a little less than charming about it.

This is why her and I are friends, she needs to rub off on me
April 30th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Probably surprised, but id be glad. That said my DH does do washing and knows what is needed, so if that werent the case I could see how my reaction might be different.
April 30th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess for me it would depend on why he got it without imput. However that would not happen here as DH and I have already agreed to always talk about big purchases. If DH came home with a new washer unless it was the one that I had already picked out I would be very upset. If I am the one expected to use it i should chose it.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
May 1st, 2012, 07:12 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only thing I would probably be upset about is that every time DH does this he has to buy the cadillac model and usually over spends. Other than that he does awesome with purchases and I would accept the surprise

May 1st, 2012, 07:34 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
If it was meant as a surprise and came from a good place I would be fine with it. While they may not have discussed the purchase, the fact that a new one was needed doesn't come as a big surprise.

May 1st, 2012, 09:01 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would have wanted input. Looking at washers together with no intentions to buy and then him going back for the purchase as a surprise would be my choice.
May 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the more kids we have the more we allow each other to make big purchases-more time efficient I think
I bought the last laundry set by myself, I'd let my dh do the same--worse case scenario we'd return it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search