What is with teenagers????

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 1 Post By hmcart
  • 1 Post By midnight.train

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2012, 05:27 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest is now 18. She is making me nuts some days. She has had three piles of laundry in the hall for THREE weeks now. (She does her own laundry so I know she's not waiting for me to do it.) If it's still there today I am going to bag it up and it will be donated. Hee Hee.

Our family room she treats like her personal apartment. She continues to disregard the rule of no eating in there - there is always food trash on the couch or something that lets me know she's eating there anyway. My dh told her if he finds food evidence in there again - her iphone is gone forever.

Yesterday, I asked her to clean the kitchen. It was 8am. When I got home at 12 it wasn't cleaned at all. She said she put the dishes in the sink and threw the trash away on the counter. Really? That's clean? I told her to get it done (including load the dishwasher) and when I got home at 8 pm it STILL wasn't done. Her friend was picking her up at 8:30 to go to her house for a while, and I told her to call her and tell her she wasn't going. She flipped. If you can't do what I ask in a 12 hour period than you don't need to go anywhere. The kitchen got clean in about 15 minutes.

Some days she acts so entitled and wants to be the queen and watch tv all day. Right now I am counting the days until she goes to college. She is in for a major reality check. LOL

Those with teens - do your kids act all entitled sometimes and you have to treat them like they are FIVE?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

May 13th, 2012, 07:08 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Mine think they are entitled because they are royalty.....yes they act like they are five.

I would have bagged the laundry 2 1/2 weeks ago and put it in the garage.

The less my teenagers do for me/around the house, the less I do for them.
#12 is on the way
May 13th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I think you have my 18 year old DD (#3).

My others are a lot more helpful, I mean they're teens so they don't always pick up after themselves but if asked to do something they will. One day a few weeks back I asked my DD to do the dishes, when I got home a few had been done but it didn't make a dent so I asked her why and she said we ran out of hot water. Well okay that could have been possible so I said fine but tomorrow you have to do them plus anything that get's throw in there. She was okay with that, did she do them when she got up? No. Did she do them after lunch? No. Then she asked if she could go out with her boyfriends...sure, but you have to get the dishes done. So she washes some of them, boyfriend get's here and she is ready to leave...um, the dishes aren't washed. She gives me the "really" look with eye rolling. Needless to say she got the dishes finished while her boyfriend watched. She can be helpful but everything is half assed. It drives me insane!
May 13th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I once went to this parenting class this couple put on and they fostered teenagers (a lot of them, they are SO great!!!) and you did exactly what they said. If the teenager gives you a no then you have one to give back to them. If she waits to do something you ask her to do, make her wait for something she wants you to do. My teen is a little younger, (she is 14) but I have to keep reminding her that it's a 2 way street, if she doesn't treat me well then there's no reason for me to go out of my way for her.

Good luck to you, and me and all of us with our teenagers
May 13th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
And yes, they are like toddlers again. However, just like toddlers, they need our encouragement, support, and to know we are proud of them, behind them, and on their side.

Or kill them.
May 13th, 2012, 09:16 AM
hmcart's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to hmcart
Mine have their moments but they really dont act entitled too much. I just wont stand for it. It does help that our oldest is such a good kid. She really sets a good example for her siblings.
#5in2005 likes this.
May 13th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My teens are pretty good, Sunny is the one im at loggerheads with. Ask her to do something simple and its the end of the world. I have actually said to her once, mid argument, "You are **** lucky that I love you, because sometimes you can be the biggest brat ive ever met"
May 28th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
maybe she's a list person, make her a list (the only way I could ever function) for some reason it makes things look more manageable.

FWIW Nolan is five and she kind of sounds like him most days

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search