I want to tell her to quit!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 2 Post By KrazE
  • 1 Post By mom2many2010

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My oldest dd, has her first job. It's for Verizon's call center, well a contracted call center, not actually part of Verizon yet....

My bestfriend also works there, and my BF's son works there. They are one of the few places that is always hiring because they have a really high turn over. Now I know why. My friend is forever telling me about people calling in and yelling at them, but I thought some of it was just her cause she tends to be on the sensitive side. My DD on the other hand has balls of steel, very little get's to her. Not saying she isn't sensitive it's just she's more like me and tends to just let stuff roll off her back.

She HATES her job, but she likes having money so she sticks it out. The stories she tells about people just amaze me. I understand being angry and upset, but I do not understand peoples blatant rudeness. I just listened to her cry as she told me about a 2 hour call she had last night. This man insulted her in every way possible. Honestly it was verbal battery, so why didn't she just hang up? They can't, it's grounds for firing, the only people with the power to end a call is the supervisor and hers was no where to be found and none of the other ones wanted to help her.

I can literally see where she was crushed by this call. I hate that a job is doing this to her. I'm not sure it is worth it, but she won't quit cause she knows or at least thinks we will be disappointed in her. I think I need to talk with the hubby, I don't want to watch her spirit be broken because of a job. It's not like she makes good more and its over 30 miles one way. I just feel so bad for her.

As a side note my friend told me about a call where a lady wanted credit because it took an hour of her time to figure out what was wrong with her phone...really? I have never thought to ask that question. lol
May 20th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't speak for today, but in my day we called this the power of minimum wage. We could quit because ther was another crappy job next door. And there was another kid to take your old job.

I would be sure to let her know that she can quit and you are behind her. Unless she has a baby to feed, she doesn't need to put up with that stuff. Just have her learn so she doesn't treat people like that.
clouise likes this.
May 20th, 2012, 02:08 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Edit to remove post
clouise and mom2many2010 like this.

Last edited by KrazE; July 10th, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
May 20th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
Hmm, I've managed call centres and I for one can say that there is supposed to be a '3 strike' rule for all agents. They do not have to accept abuse. Please have her talk to her Manager right away as this should be something that is already implemented.
She's correct that she can't simply hang up, but all call centre contracts allow for the warnings before a disconnect..

Try #1 - "Ma'am/sir, I would ask that you not yell/swear/speak to me in that way as I am doing my best to help you"

Try #2 - "Ma'am/sir, please do not yell/swear/speak to me that way or I will have to disconnect the call"

Third strike - "Thank you for calling 'whatever company' and have a nice day" - disconnect the call.

Even if she is working for a contractor who is supporting Verizon customers, that rule should always be in place; I have never not seen that rule in a call centre.

You're right, my friend went in and asked exactly what the companies policy is on call's like that. It does depend on the manager but over all that's what she could have done, but they don't tell them that. I think the biggest problem was that not a single other supervisor would help her, she became flustered because they are told they can not disconnect the call. Honestly I would have just hung up and am slightly surprised that she didn't either. She's only a week out of her protected shift and I guess since it hadn't happened to her before she just plain did not have a clue what to do. I am hoping today is better for her.
May 20th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmers-wife View Post
I can't speak for today, but in my day we called this the power of minimum wage. We could quit because ther was another crappy job next door. And there was another kid to take your old job.

I would be sure to let her know that she can quit and you are behind her. Unless she has a baby to feed, she doesn't need to put up with that stuff. Just have her learn so she doesn't treat people like that.
This place has one of the highest turnovers, I know why now. The employee's are abused by a large percentage of customers.

We are doing some serious job networking for her. I'll let her know that if she really can not do it anymore she can quit. She has no kids and the only bills she has is her phone and insurance, which she only took over recently so it would kill us to help out again...although I really don;t want to
May 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Edit to remove post

Last edited by KrazE; July 10th, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
May 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Her Aunt (only been there two weeks longer then her) went to her supervisor and he printed a print out of what she could do if another customer ever does that again. It's pretty much what you said so hopefully in the future she will feel better armed.
wishing likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search