Small spaces

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By #5in2005
  • 3 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2012, 06:07 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Baby #4 will be here in Aug/Sept and we have a two bedroom apartment in a farmhouse. It's not your typical apartment but it's not a big spacious house either.

Our girls share the largest bedroom. It comfortably fits all their furniture and toys with plenty of playspace. DH and I have the smaller of the two rooms which right now has our bed, dresser, and nightstand in it, as well as a dresser for baby (which will be in the closet when I get the clothes all washed) and his bed (currently a pack n play, eventually it'll be his crib).

We were planning on moving when our lease is up in February. But we decided that if our management company doesn't have a larger space in our price range available at that time then we were thinking of staying at least another year. We've moved quite a bit in the last few years and are currently in our second year in this place. I don't want to have to move the girls' school again (DD1 has been to 3 schools and will only be in 3rd grade next year) unless we find the perfect home. We're not 100% interested in buying right now either so renting works for us.

Anyway...all this to ask if any other families are living in a smaller space than is considered the norm in your area. My parents keep saying we *need* to move asap, even before Logan is born. But we really think we're just fine here. We have plenty of storage space (our basement is the entire footprint of the farmhouse and is ours alone, not shared), the girls are comfortable and honestly would hate to be split up anyway, and we think we could make it work at least a year past our next lease date if not two with the little guy in our room with us. We have a good size living room. Our only complaint is our kitchen is small but we're constantly finding new ways to make it work better for us.

May 28th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
if it works for you that that is all that matters. do what you think is best. to answer your question, at one time i lived in a 1100 sq ft house with three bedrooms and trust me when i say it was SMALL. but we got on just fine. i did some room switching similar to you (putting the 3 boys in the master, me in the small room and my DD in the 3rd room. anyway you cut it, it was a challenge but we did fine.

~~terre~~
May 28th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a space junkie so I'd be moving, but my priority would be not switching schools again, which is more important to me than space, in theory
May 29th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you have a good plan....take your time and find a new place in your school district and within your price range. What I've found around here is that four bedroom places are the same cost as three bedroom places, they're just a LOT less of them. I think you guys would enjoy having at least three bedrooms...that would give you some room to shuffle the kids around as needed. The baby can easily sleep with you and your husband for a time though, so I wouldn't see any great rush to be out in February.
May 29th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess our house is tiny then too. It is 1290 sqft. We have 4 bedrooms though, and the basement is a playroom. We use every foot of the house. Sebastian's room has only him in it so far so there's plenty of room up there yet

Switching schools doesn't really bother me that much because our city is not too big so even if the kids go to a new school they are still able to play with old friends. It would take literally like 15 minutes to drive from waaaay north to waaay south, so not a big deal that way.

Like the other ladies said it's up to you.

May 29th, 2012, 06:43 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are in the process of moving right now (due to DH having a job change) but before the move we were living in a 2 bed 900 sq ft house and it was plenty of space. The three kids shared a room and when the baby came she would be in our room for the first several months and then there was still plenty of room to add another toddler bed in the kids room. We also have a large lab/shepherd that is an indoor dog. We didn't feel cramped in that amount of space. Honestly I'm a little overwhelmed with the thought of moving to a bigger house and all the extra time it will take to clean etc. If it weren't for the job change we would have stayed in our small house even with #4 on the way.

[
May 29th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that as long as you don't know any different it's fine.

The house we lived in before this one was much smaller but I always made it work. I have space now, and it would be really hard to go back. But it was fine when I didn't know any different.
clouise and MIL2lissy8 like this.
May 29th, 2012, 07:16 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
we are a dozen living in 1300 sq feet. It is what it is. If you are cool with it, stay there, who cares what anyone else says.
#12 is on the way
May 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by #5in2005 View Post
I think that as long as you don't know any different it's fine.

The house we lived in before this one was much smaller but I always made it work. I have space now, and it would be really hard to go back. But it was fine when I didn't know any different.
I've got to agree...you get used to what you have. We were in a 2,000+ square foot home in CT, and now we are down to about 1300 sf. At first it felt really small, but eight months later, it feels normal and even quite large. We do still have those four bedrooms though, and that is nice. The biggest thing I miss is my laundry room.
May 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our laundry room isn't big enough to have those cool shelves like some of you have, but I can't complain. At least I don't have to go outside to go down to the basement to do laundry here like our last place!

May 29th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Mine are in the kitchen. It's a tiny little kitchen, and adding piles of laundry isn't helpful. Plus last week my four year old tripped and spilled a full glass of milk on a big stack of CLEAN laundry. Oh laundry room, how I miss you! I had a nice one too, with a huge mud sink. This is our second house with the hook-ups in the kitchen, and it ain't great. It's still a big step up from the laundry-mat though, that is for sure.
May 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
11 of us in 1400 sq ft. Throw in the dogs and it is tight, but I have been making the dogs stay out as much as possible. It is a 3/2. I have 4 girls in one room, 4 boys in the other. Baby is with us. Not sure what we will do when she is bigger. Maybe #1 will move out by then.
May 30th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Veteran
I think you do what works. No one else has to live there so why do they care? We've got 8 soon to be 9 in a 4bed 1200 sq ft. we use every inch and dh and I use the smallest room. We have kids 3 to aroom and they dont mind. In fact when we started talking about switching rooms for the baby the kids didnt want to separate. I could use a bigger kitchen though, sigh.
May 31st, 2012, 08:32 AM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for your replies. I really appreciate it. I definitely don't want to move and switch schools unless we really have to, our town is spread out and complicated (I think there's 7 elementary schools) so it would really be a hassle to keep up with their friends.

I wish we had indoor access to our basement. We have to go outside to a separate door to use it but if we had indoor access we would have a playspace down there. Our laundry is in our kitchen too and we keep the laundry baskets in the hall by the bedrooms. We used to have a two bedroom, 3 level townhome but had to move for DH's work across state and we stayed with the inlaws for a while. It was hard THEN going from all the space at the townhome to sharing a space so when we moved here it felt like tons of space. I'm constantly decluttering which has helped it stay feeling open to us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search