The Duggars and Bates families

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never seen the show, but I've read one of their books. My biggest issue with them is that they have what, 20 acres? That used to be an old chicken hatchery? Which in my mind means they have plenty of space to FARM it. 20 acres is plenty of space to raise a beef steer or a couple pigs for meat each year, they could plant a large garden and can up most of their vegetables, have chickens for fresh eggs, etc. Farming their 20 acres alone would teach ALL of the kids loads of responsibility. Add to that, they'd be eating healthier (some of their recipes in their book kill me!), and they would know exactly what is going in their food and therefore into their bodies, and they could cut waaaay back on shopping expenses!!

I think they could also hang laundry out to dry, make their own laundry soap, or bathing soaps if they'd have something like goats and learned to make goats milk soap.

We have 6.5 acres, are raising 6 kids, and I do all this. I'm jealous of their 20 acres and they are not utilizing it!!!!!

June 11th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have 6 acres and don't ven go outside. I would like to hear more about what you do. Start a separate thread, please.
June 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Will do, but it is so not as intersting as you might think! LOL

June 11th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are homesteading on 3 acres. We prayed for more - but God has blessed us with exactly what we need.
Babymakes8 likes this.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
June 11th, 2012, 01:10 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
We have a postage stamp and no room to even plant a small garden. I do have rhubarb...lol
JoyfulChaosMama likes this.
#12 is on the way
June 11th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have one acre and grow enough veggies for ourselves, a frozen stockpile and to give away.

We do own one dryer, but I try not to use it, it eats through electricity and is awful for the environment, but sometimes it gets used for school uniforms or DH's work clothes that are needed for the next day.

But I completely agree, with space comes responsibility.
June 11th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a problem with them at all. They have their beliefs AND live by them. I'm proud of them for that alone.

I know they do make they're own laundry soap. I have their recipe written down somewhere, lol! It would baffle me if they truly didn't have a garden but with livestock comes so much more expenses. They would need cattle trailers, tractors to haul hay and balers if they cut their own, vet bills, additional feed bills, etc. It's probably cheaper to buy from the butcher.
June 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Jinnah
I like the Duggars and Bates. For those who do not know, the Bates are family friends of theirs (also a large family). They seem really nice and sincere to me. I wish I was as calm as Michelle, lol.
June 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Doing the homesteading thing isn't for everyone.

What I've really appreciated about them is that they take the time to take the kids with them and teach them stuff. I've always been inclined for them to stay out of my way so I can do it quicker (like baking) but there's definetly something to be said about the hands on approach they take.

Last edited by #5in2005; June 15th, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
June 15th, 2012, 02:29 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I respect them for living by their beliefs, but I personally can't stand the show.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Cortney. We just moved off of our farm and honestly, it is much cheaper an easier to buy meat from a butcher or the store. Unless you inherit the farm or farm with family it is so expensive to get into it. So I completely understand why they don't do it themselves.
We live on 10 acres, garden, can, freeze, make soaps, etc. We raise meat chickens and egg layers. But those are also more expensive than just buying it. But we want to know where our food is coming from and that it's safe, so we chose to raise our own.

I've not really seen the show much, but read their books. We live a very similar lifestyle, so we agree with most of the things they do as well.

June 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It would be great if they let other families use their land (they have 20 acres?) to garden on etc. if it's not their thing - I am inclined to agree that with that much space, land, etc... it should not just be sitting idle.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
June 22nd, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joyful Chaos, the place they bought and built their home on was an old chicken hatchery! I would totally LOVE to own a chicken hatchery - so I guess I see what they have differently than most normal people

I do agree, the initial cost to even small scale hobby farming adds up fairly quick, and not everyone likes to do everything.

June 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Veteran
I believe a woman should take care of her household but also a man should too.I do believe a woman should stay at home.but if my daughter or son wanted to do something else I would not be against it because God may have called them to do that.I do like the duggars but I like the bates better.I have followed both of them since they came out and do not like how they have changed with money they seemed better when they began.The bates on the other hand I do like more but also feel that money has changed them.We will never have reality from a t.v. we will only get bits and pieces and we will never know how it really is we only know our lives.If they are true to the lord than we would be shamed to say something against it and if they are not right than the lord will let you know but bashing or being upset at them gives nothing to us.I pray for both of the families and hope they do well and also to all of you.God Bless.
June 30th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
ohhhhh, good thing there's no show about our family.

My garden isn't nearly as big as it could be, and I only got around to planting half of it!
June 30th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Veteran
Quote:
ohhhhh, good thing there's no show about our family.
AMEN. People often say things like "you must have the patience of a saint" just because I have several children and I have to wonder if they would say those things if they spent a couple days with us. Especially now when I pg, moody, tired, hot, and nauceous.
Farmers-wife likes this.
June 30th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Various people say to me we should get a show. But how boring would that be!?
June 30th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd watch your show FW!
sarahlorrain likes this.
July 1st, 2012, 05:06 AM
I really wasn't trying to put the Duggars down for not doing more of the homesteading stuff, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. I do like the Duggars, and I just see what they have and visualize what I would do with it.

I do not plant the gardens here or tend them. My husband does all of that, and he teaches the kids. I do the preserving/canning/cooking. Yes, most days I just want the kids out from under foot when I am in the kitchen, especially when it's 90+ degrees out, but I have taught my oldest 2 a few things regarding baking and preparing a few simple meals. So far so good, they seem to enjoy helping and learning.

I don't think my family would ever have to worry about being offered a t.v. show. 1) I *think* we're done having babies and 2) we're pretty boring lol

July 1st, 2012, 08:48 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love the Duggars and the Bates.

Tags
bates , duggar

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search