How do you handle...

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dentists appts.?

Do you knock them all out in one month or do you space them out every few months?

This has always been a thorn in my side. I can take two at a time and make three appts in a month or two at a time one appt/month for three months OR 1 at a time and have 1 appt a month all year long!!

Either way it's a drag and I hate going, lol! Plus, I still haven't found a dentist I like. My dentist retired about 5 yrs ago and I loved him! I wish we could found one that was as gentle as he was.
June 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I only have four kids, so I take them all at the same time. Twice a year.
June 13th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can't afford the dentist so we don't handle it. Pays to be poor? lol

June 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All at once. But we don't pay cash. Dentist is somehow related to dhs boss and they do work for him. So it is like an exchange. But when they offered that to us, we only had 2! I feel sort of bad. But not really.
June 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM
clouise ~ how long is your appt for all 4?
June 13th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband and I have had to have a lot of dental work lately (fillings for me, extractions for him) so we have tried to schedule 1 or 2 of the kids for an appointment the same time as one of us. Since we're going in anyway.

I think once everyone is old enough for trips to the dentist, I'll try to get them scheduled 2 at once one month for 3 months.

June 13th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
[QUOTE=Momtothe6thpower;26161043]clouise ~ how long is your appt for all 4?[/Q]

About an hour. They take everyone back at the same time, and the hygienist cleans their teeth one at a time, while the other three play. Then the dentist comes in and looks at their teeth one at a time, and we are all good to go. None of them have every needed any work...they've just had the cleanings. I only take them to pediatric dentists too...they seem to have a better set-up for us, and cool things for us to look at. Like in CT our dentist had an electric train that drove on a shelving at the tops of all the the rooms. And here in MD they have a parrot named Flossie the kids can take a picture with if they have a good visit. And in MS they had video games for the kids to play while they waited. Yeah...we move a lot.

Last edited by clouise; June 13th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
June 13th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When they were younger I just did them all at once and made dh go with. Then I went one day with 2 and another with 3.
June 13th, 2012, 06:37 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Edit to remove post

Last edited by KrazE; July 10th, 2012 at 06:03 AM.
June 13th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Ok, FW, I have to know how long that takes you with 8 kids in one day?

I'm not allowed to schedule more than two at a time, lol! For two kids it still takes us an hr to get in, cleaned, x-rayed, and back out. I'm dreading how long it will take we #1 actually has her repair.
June 14th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
this fall I will be booking all six appts all the same morning, every six months--Joey doesn't go until he's four
June 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I take the kids to a pediatric dentist where there are 6 chairs. They all get scheduled at the same time on a Saturday. It takes about 2 hours for 6 kids including getting there and back. If we didn't have dental benefits, I wouldn't do it. I hate taking everyone.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 15th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Veteran
We also go to a practice with several chairs. They take 2 kids at a time with the hygenist and 2 with the dentist then rotate. Its a comunity clinic and super cheap. I usually do the 4 older kids all at the same time for both appts. It usually takes us about 1 hour.
June 16th, 2012, 04:07 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I take the boys in one day, then Erin usually goes another time, and Kelsey drives herself and gets there. My dentist has done them all in one day but I don't like sitting there that long.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

June 16th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
our practice has two dentists and about ten hygienists, so we're all done pretty quick--and they all go in without me so its quicker
June 18th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Veteran
They all go once a year, and it's as the dentists schedule allows. Usually they are spread out over a couple of days tho. It costs us over $1000 each time they go (upfront expense partially reimbursed by DH benefits), so it usually max's out DH's benefits for the year.

Together we have 4 beautiful children:
Treyden (Dec/97), Emily (Jun/00), Christina (Oct/03) & Hilarie (Dec/04)

Together we are raising 7 of my nieces & nephews:
Kristina (Feb/96), Leah (Jan/98), Austin (Apr/00), Dylan (Feb/02), Mya (Feb/02), Landon (Apr/03) & Melanie (May/08)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search