How many families on here...

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2012, 01:46 PM
Veteran
function off a farm?Always wanted too.I have no idea how to get started any ideas so it will help cut the prices that I spend in my home.
:mommyDeAnna 7/28 Whitney 4/7 Naomi 6/24 Katerina 1/27 Gracie 5/25 Magdalina 6/8Berachiah 6/8 Peter 2/20 Deanna 19,whitney 15,Naomi 13,Katerina 8,Gracie 7,Magdalina 5,Berachiah 3,Peter 4 months and counting.
July 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not us. We live in town and while we are lucky enough to own the lot adjacent to our house, it's not big enough to have much livestock. (And before you ask, yes, livestock do seem to be allowed in the city limits, as I know of people within blocks of me who own horses, goats and chickens.) We do have a garden and we are going to get chickens soon. We try to grow all of the vegetables that we eat most often (potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, green beans, etc.) I don't think we'll eat the chickens because since we will only have a few I'll probably get too attached to them. We will be raising them for their eggs.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
July 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a dairy farm, but I wouldn't classify it as "living off the land" it's what we do for a living.

I only sortof like to garden, and dh hates "petting zoo animals" (chickens etc.) except for horses. We pick a steer every so often to butcher, but there again it's just because it's there with a whole bunch of them, we raise animals regardless.
July 1st, 2012, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sort-of-sort-of.

We live on an acreage and grow our own fruits and veggies, we don't own livestock though.
July 1st, 2012, 10:23 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Would LOVE to grow our own fruits and veggies. ESP. tomatoes (they are SO $$$$ in the store), but I just haven't found the space and tried yet. Could not raise animals for that purpose though, I don't want to get to know my dinner.
July 1st, 2012, 11:16 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Not even close. I don't even have a garden. I grew up pulling weeds, gathering eggs and canning everything. I didn't want to do it when I grew up, and luckily, I married a city slicker. Lol It's really not for everyone. I actually wish we could move to a bigger city.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 2nd, 2012, 11:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a few acres that we grow many fruits and veggies on - we also have 30 hens that provide us with enough eggs for ourselves and enough to barter and sell - we break even on feed cost that way. We have a hog that we will slaughter in Sept - and we are prepping for our first round of meat birds (chickens) in a few weeks. We have plans for a bee hive next spring.

Mama to:
Nick, 19
Abby, 17
Gabe, 15
Isaac, 13
Mary-Kate, 12
Sam, 11
Henry, 10
Molly, 8
Mark, 7
Greta, 5
Cecilia, 4
Josephine, 2
Evie, born 12.31.13
Baby due in July!
July 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We live on 10 acres. We have egg layers, meat chickens, two gardens and will be putting in fruit trees this fall when it's cooler. Last year we canned 350 quarts, froze 125 lbs of veggies. So we grow a ton for fresh eating and canning.

We moved to our new place 6 months ago and ironically sold our farm because it was to expensive for us to raise our own. By the time we bought the animals, feed and paid a butcher it cost to much. We found it was cheaper to buy it from a larger farmer, because on a smaller scale it was just to expensive. But we were also particular about their feed and didn't feed them junk. We raised all our cattle on grass, no grain, because it's so much healthier, but the cost of the land is pretty tough. Than we had to buy hay for the winter, it just got to be to much. So now we just raise both types of chicken and will buy beef and pork from a farmer who raises them properly (in our opinion) when we run out of what we raised. When we moved, we moved 4 full deep freezers...which was fun! Our chickens taste so much better, and our healthier for us than the store, but they cost more too. But our family doesnt eat much from the stores, because we don't know what's in it. I'm now cooking baked potatoes out in solar type oven for dinner. These potatoes are from last years garden, stil good, and I didn't have to heat up my oven on a 100 degree day. Win win situation.

Sorry that got long!
CalledBlessed likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search