Our Bahamas Adventure

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We had one crazy trip! I will try to give you the short version, lol. Keep in mind we usually go nowhere and do nothing...all our travels are on military orders and by car. This was our first flight in five years and was due to a family reunion.

We left Friday afternoon and were supposed to fly direct to Florida, spend the night there, then get on a shuttle flight with all our family to the resort in the Bahamas. We went to the airport, got through security with no issues, and got on the plane. Kids were being great. We prepare for take-off and go to the runway. All of a sudden the pilot comes on and says we are no longer cleared for take-off and would be sitting on the runway for an indefinite amount of time. Ended up being about 2.5 hours. No a/c and no working bathrooms. At that point we return to the airport and wait five hours as our flight is delayed. Finally they tell us to begin boarding again. And then all of a sudden they announce the flight is canceled. We wait several more hours trying to get another flight, and think we got one for the next morning at 7am. We get home about 11pm, I sleep until 1am, then get a call saying we didn't get the tickets and there are no other flights the next day.

Soo..Saturday. Most of the morning on the phone, and we finally get tickets going to Fort Lauderdale with a connection in Charlotte. We can no longer get six tickets together. I sat Beth and Matt with strangers and had to beg people to switch seats with us so one of us could sit with Carrie and Katy. Both flights were delayed several hours and our "overnight" in Fort Lauderdale turned into 1am to 4am. Kids were wiped out.

The next morning we are due to fly to Nassau in the Bahamas where we will then take a flight to our resort. The shuttle only runs once a week so we have missed that and must find our own flights. Florida flight is delayed four hours and we miss our connection. We get off in Nassau with no cell service, no knowledge of the island, and no idea what to do. We book a flight for the next day, then go and get a hotel. Which we called the "cat pee hotel." Hardly cared at that point, lol.

That brings us to Monday. Monday morning we report back to the "airport." And I say airport loosely because it's not a thing like flying in the states. You just wait outside on the runway, lol. Our plane won't start. Seriously... So then we get a flight on the "Pineapple Express" which was about a million years old and sat 19 people. One person on each side of the aisle. Despite my frayed nerves the flight is totally fine and we arrive two days late with no more issues.

Fast forward to the trip home...our shuttle flight is four hours late. Out of our family of 85 almost everyone, including us, misses our connections. We are able to get new tickets for later in the evening. That flight is delayed four hours and we arrive home at 2am. At least we made it!

The worst part? These crappy airlines take no responsibilty for their lack of service. For all of our troubles only one airline and flight helped us rebook and gave us a hotel voucher. Everything else was us paying massive fees....and it was totally their faults! Jet Blue was the best. Spirit Airlines was total crap, and United Airways wasn't much better. I just don't get how some people manage to fly all the time. For us it was totally unreliable and very very expensive. I don't plan to fly again unless we are leaving the country like that...even across the country I will dry.

Anyway....all that aside, the trip was FANTASTIC. Totally worth it. My kids were so good and I was so proud of them. The location was beautiful, there were lots of fun things to do, and we got to see relatives we hadn't seen in many years. I'm so thankful we had this chance. We went swimming, boating, snorkling, on a lagoon tour, so many cool tings. And all the food (yummy!) and drinks (hello bar!) were included. Here are a few of my million pictures I took. Such memories!

this is me, lol

July 2nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad you had a great trip and that the flight issues (now that's an understatement) were worth it.

Great pictures, looks amazing!
July 2nd, 2012, 12:13 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very cool. Great pics. I am so glad you made it there and back and so proud of you for keeping our composure and making the bet of it! I. Love your snorkel pic. I don't actually know how to do that.
July 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
Veteran
wow how beautiful.
:mommyDeAnna 7/28 Whitney 4/7 Naomi 6/24 Katerina 1/27 Gracie 5/25 Magdalina 6/8Berachiah 6/8 Peter 2/20 Deanna 19,whitney 15,Naomi 13,Katerina 8,Gracie 7,Magdalina 5,Berachiah 3,Peter 4 months and counting.
July 2nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What beautiful pics. I hope to be able to travel outside the country (other than Canada, no offense ) some day. While I can believe the horrible flight issues I can not believe the lack of accommodations/compensation/rebook at no cost to you . I fly either Airtran od Southwest and have never had problems like that. dh flies Delta ALL THE TIME and he says the 1st 50,000 miles are terrible, but after that you get into this silver club and from there it just gets better. He flew me a dear friend and our 4 youngest to see him in NOLA 1st class and then flew me and the 2 little girls home alone 1st class and it was FABULOUS!!!!!! (not to mention FREE!!!! drinks and he had a car for us to bring us home from the airport. ) Dh the dear friend and the 2 little boys drove back from there and hit all the cool boy stops......Well Dollyworld anyway was one of them....I would have loved to have gone, but am really happy for their wonderful memories.
Anyway so sorry to talk so much, sounds like an overall AMAZING!!!!!! trip. Thank you for sharing it with us.
July 2nd, 2012, 08:06 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
That made me exhausted just reading it! Holy cow I think I would have given up!

The pictures though, are beautiful! So glad that you guys had a great time!
July 3rd, 2012, 01:30 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Whew So glad you made it and that you had such an awesome time, that totally sucks about the airlines not comping you. The pics look awsome talk about paradise

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search