what is...

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lilymagic

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Veteran
what is it like to go to the library with your family? Do they do well? Is it just to crazy? Do you even go?
:mommyDeAnna 7/28 Whitney 4/7 Naomi 6/24 Katerina 1/27 Gracie 5/25 Magdalina 6/8Berachiah 6/8 Peter 2/20 Deanna 19,whitney 15,Naomi 13,Katerina 8,Gracie 7,Magdalina 5,Berachiah 3,Peter 4 months and counting.
July 6th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
--

Last edited by cybele; September 29th, 2013 at 10:49 PM.
July 6th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cool job! We love our library. The kids are good. The moms got shushed one time when we were talking about babywomanpregnancy too loud.
July 6th, 2012, 06:45 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I despise the children's librarian at our library, but part of the reason is because of things I know about her that have nothing to do with the library. I also find her to be very fake and rude and condescending to the kids. My oldest says she sees her giving them rude looks behind my back all the time, but of course I've never seen it, so I don't really know.

One day, Ryan was looking at a section of books, and he had pushed them all back on the shelf. I was right next to him but hadn't yet noticed what he was doing because I was looking at a book or I had my attention focused on David or something. She came over and told him not to do that because the librarians have to pull them all back to the front. She then asked him to fix them. I said "Oh, we will don't worry." She kept trying to get him to answer her and say "Ok." or "Yes Ma'am." or "I'll fix it." or something, but he was shy and embarrassed and wouldn't even look at her. I finally had to just be firm and look at her and tell her again, "We'll fix it!" He wasn't being defiant, he just doesn't like her and he was embarrassed and all.

There was one time I was at the library on their computer because mine had broken and I was ordering a new one. My kids were climbing over the chairs I had told them to sit in when I wasn't looking. She came over to get onto them and I was so embarrassed and mad at them. They were all in very big trouble when we got home, and haven't dared to pull a stunt like that since!

Now, we go at least once a week, sometimes more. They are pretty well behaved. On occasion if I go at a time of day when David's tired, he has been known to cry and have a fit because I won't let him run around and pull books off the shelf, etc. The older kids are very well behaved 95% of the time. Sometimes the boys have to be reprimanded for playing by the automatic doors but their behavior has improved greatly over the last year since we've been homeschooling and going so often.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
July 6th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Our 'library' is rarely open so I don't take the kids..I can't figure out what their times are.
July 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We go weekly, but usually just 3-4 of the kids at a time. I reserve books online so if they get crazy we grab those books and go. I love our library, it is brand new and very kid friendly. They have great summer programs and book clubs for all ages during the school year.
July 7th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran
To sarahlorrain--I think I would be very upset at that library and would not allow her to talk to my children like that.That is terrible. Kids are going to be kids but we as parents will correct them which I am certain you do well at .I do not have problems at the library with the people who work there and they have great programs.I've met a lot of other mothers there.I have a three year old boy that is a little crazy when we get there but he is not trying to be bad you can just see he is excited......
:mommyDeAnna 7/28 Whitney 4/7 Naomi 6/24 Katerina 1/27 Gracie 5/25 Magdalina 6/8Berachiah 6/8 Peter 2/20 Deanna 19,whitney 15,Naomi 13,Katerina 8,Gracie 7,Magdalina 5,Berachiah 3,Peter 4 months and counting.
July 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
we don't go, the library is very small and the kids "section" is about as big as our couch.
#12 is on the way
July 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
--

Last edited by cybele; September 29th, 2013 at 10:49 PM.
July 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Behavior on our library trips is kinda hit and miss. My oldest and youngest usually do really well but my middle son (he had developmental delays) can have a lot of trouble when he has to put books, toys etc away and not getting everything out.

We just went this morning and it went really smoothly we looked at books and played for about 45 min but when it came time to leave DS#2 had a complete meltdown because he had to put his book on the desk for the librarian to check it out. So just little stuff like that can completely throw him off. So then I'm stuck with a 3 year old having a complete fit (and of course he doesn't look special needs so I always feel like everyone thinks I'm a terrible parent when he does that) but at least my other two were just standing there quietly waiting while I struggled to get our stuff checked out while holding a screaming 3 year old.

[
July 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Veteran
I dont take my kids to the adult area of the library. I just dont want to try to hold them to the standard of behavior I think is required.
Our childrens library is great though. Very kid friendly. Kids books are meant to be loved even if that means they get a little abused. I love that our librarians understand that. I don't go as often as I used too because the logistics of gettting from the car to the library have been tough since the twins but I'm going to try to do better.
July 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I generally go online and have my preferred books put on hold, so we don't have to search around. So when we go, we pick up the books we NEED (we generally have a list every week of things I need to get for homeschool), then I let them each browse and get a fun reading book, do a puzzle, and sometimes we'll sit and read together if they want to. Many times other parents will be reading to their kids and my kids like to jump in on the fun. Our librarian is AMAZING and my daughter especially has developed a great relationship with her over the years.

I try to leave the youngest at home whenever I can. I think it's good for him to go sometimes, but it is a lot of work to keep him from pulling books off the shelf. I always notice that when we take him, I spend so much time trying to keep him from pulling books and don't get a chance to help the older kids. But thankfully our amazing librarian will step in on those days and helps out a lot too.

July 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We go at least once a week. Storytime during the year, and now the kids are in the summer reading program. My kids have all been really doing well lately. 1 1/2 year old Katy was a terror, but at two she is actually quite a bit better.
July 15th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I normally just order the books I want online and go and pick them up when I get the email they are ready. We are a pretty conservative family and much of what is available in the library I do not want them reading anyway, so avoiding the browsing works for us. I usually just pull up to the door and send one of the kids in to pick up our stash.
girl 8
girl 6
girl 2
expecting twins
July 19th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
--

Last edited by cybele; September 29th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search