Names

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2012, 10:59 PM
Veteran
I love talking about names lol. How do you chose your childrens names? Family names, just ones you both agree on? What will you name your next child if you had another?

I LOVE Claire but can't find a name to go with it.

For a both we would name him Caleb but not sure on the middle. I love Obadiah, Zechariah, Samuel, Luke also.
July 21st, 2012, 11:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
--

Last edited by cybele; September 29th, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
July 22nd, 2012, 05:45 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Obadiah huh.

I just pick what I like.
#12 is on the way
July 22nd, 2012, 04:22 PM
Veteran
The names we liked were Angel, Aundrea and Alex. Just happened to all be A names. After that we thought each baby was our last so we felt like we didn't want one kid different so we kept going with the A names. Funny enough the patron saint of large families is an A name, Adalaide and the kids love the idea of Addie so that might be this baby's name.
July 22nd, 2012, 04:46 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, I like Adalaide!! Adalaide Claire or Claire Adalaide would be so pretty!

My name style is pretty complex, lol! It has to have a tie to a family name, but that could be anything not the exact name, and it has to have a nickname. For example, my youngest is Romilly Beatrice Gray nn Milly. Her namesakes are Rose, Beatrice, Grace and Gary. Not all of my children have that many namesakes though, lol!
The more complex part is that I seem to have a theme of 3 syllable girls names with 2 syllable nn's that have a double letter and 2 syllable boys names with 1 syllable/ 4 letter nicknames. (Complete madness that I recognize this and actually want to continue it, lol!)
So if I did have another, and that's a HUGE if, they would be either...

Susannah Eliza or Susannah Daphne nn 'Sunny' (Anna and Eliza are the family names)
or
Judah Lincoln Maxwell nn 'Jude' (Judy and Maxine x 2 would be the honored family members here)

ETA: I just realized that I left Millie off as one of her namesakes which was the whole point of her name in the first place, lol!! Sorry Great Gma Millie, lol!!

Last edited by Momtothe6thpower; July 23rd, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
July 22nd, 2012, 08:00 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The names of all our kids have special meanings/significance to us. A lot of them are families names but some were chosen because of their meaning. The name we have picked out for the baby due in Sep will be the first of our kids that doesn't have a family name as either first or middle but the first and middle name has special meaning.

[
July 22nd, 2012, 10:49 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
dd1 was 1st named believe it or not after a gf of an ex bf of mine....AND my grandmother. After I had the 1st name the mn came easily. Made her sound like royalty, my one and only (at the time ) baby girl.
ds2 I liked Jack and Michael.....Michael won, mn was a HUGE!!!! mistake.
Ds2 was named after his paternal grand and great grandfather.
Ds3 was initialed after dh. I asked dh if he wanted a son named after him and he said NO!!! so I suggested the next best thing and he was ok with it.
Dd's all have 4 letter first names, boys all have long names.
dd3 was given her mn based on my 1st name, her birth month and a (favorite) great, great aunts mn (I spelled it different from hers though. She was Mae, dd is May, my 1st name is April, dd and I were both born in May). Neither of her names were my first pick. and she (unless there is an "accident" is my last. I wanted Lily Bernice (Bernice being a family name) or Anna Elaine ( Elaine being a family name)
dd2 (bless her heart) I was so hormonal (read angry) during my pregnancy with her. I wanted to name her Emily Rose..... dh didn't like the name Emily so we compromised with the name Emma Rose. Now that she's here she is such a sweetheart of a dc......
July 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oooh! I love Adalaide! I don't think hubby would go for it though.

My oldest is Clare Elizabeth. Clare is my mother's middle name and Elizabeth is both of my Dad's grandmother's names. My oldest son is Matthew David Cole. We knew we wanted to use David (my Dad's name) and Cole (my husband's brother's name) but we didn't want to use either as the first name. Also, since we had no way of knowing we would have more boys we decided to use all of the names at once. We decided on Matthew as a first name because of the meaning (gift from God). Our middle son is Ryan Andrew. I just liked the name and dh went along with it. Our third son is David Blake. When we were choosing names, we both did the list with names we liked and we both liked Blake. At first it was going to be his first name. My Dad had cancer during my entire pregnancy and toward the end, it was obvious he was not going to last much longer. He really wanted us to name the baby after him, so we did. So, two of our kids got my Dad's name. I think my fil is a bit jealous about it. His name is Roy and I don't like that name at all so that's not happening.

My middle name is Lorrain and if we have another girl, the middle name will be Lorrain.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com

Last edited by sarahlorrain; July 23rd, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
July 23rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlorrain
Oooh! I love Adalaide! I don't think hubby would go for it though.

My oldest is Clare Elizabeth. Clare is my mother's middle name and Elizabeth is both of my Dad's grandmother's names. My oldest son is Matthew David Cole. We knew we wanted to use David (my Dad's name) and Cole (my husband's brother's name) but we didn't want to use either as the first name. Also, since we had no way of knowing we would have more boys we decided to use all of the names at once. We decided on Matthew as a first name because of the meaning (gift from God). Our middle son is Ryan Andrew. I just liked the name and dh went along with it. Our third son is David Blake. When we were choosing names, we both did the list with names we liked and we both liked Blake. At first it was going to be his first name. My Dad had cancer during my entire pregnancy and toward the end, it was obvious he was not going to last much longer. He really wanted us to name the baby after him, so we did. So, two of our kids got my Dad's name. I think my fil is a bit jealous about it. His name is Roy and I don't like that name at all so that's not happening.

My middle name is Lorrain and if we have another girl, the middle name will be Lorrain.
What about Royce or Rory?
July 24th, 2012, 12:23 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtothe6thpower View Post
What about Royce or Rory?
Hmmm, I never thought about using a name with the letters r-o-y in it. I don't really like those two particular names, but you've given me something to think about.

But OMG, if I have another boy I don't know what I'll do!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search