out in public....

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you ever find yourself out in public and suddenly notice that your child is wearing their oldest pair of pants and a dirty shirt?

My kids own decent clothes, no holes, clean etc and yet lately it's happened to me a few times that they've hopped into our van without me checking what they've got on, I gotta look more carefully. I keep telling my 4th in particular to wear her old clothes at home (because I don't care what they wear out on the farm) and her good stuff when we go to the city.

Dh left our #2 in the vehicle the other day because she was wearing her barn rubber boots (they were clean-ish, but they smelled like, well, barn) so he wouldn't let her come into Costco .

On the flip side, they also love wearing their good stuff on the farm. Then if I'm not careful they get it so dirty that I can't get it clean.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, and I know I shouldn't care what others think, but I never want to be looked at and have people wonder why I have a crew of kids if I don't look like I am able to look after them properly.

Wait a minute....it's still a challenge to keep my own clothes clean.......
July 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Oh gosh yes! It used to embarrass me but not anymore.

Honestly, I live on a farm (although we don't farm it). Sometimes I just do not feel like changing their clothes for a quick run into town. funny thing is, that just about every other kid looks like they just stepped off the farm also...smell included for some lol

Like you, I can barely keep myself clean half the time. Forget the kids. I do try if we are going somewhere: b-day parties, functions ect,. to make sure they are in tip top shape. Beyond that, they have clothes on, that should be good enough.
July 27th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Totally have this problem. We have ratty clothes and not as ratty. I tell them to put on the not as ratty ones for church, shopping, going to CFA. But either they still wear the ratty or the not as ratty really are just ratty in comparison to what other kids have on when we get there. Shoes in particular. #6 had some really nice sketchers. I bought them on clearance, but they were brand new! I told him to take are of them, not to leave them outside. First week, left them out, one got lost, the dogs chewed on them, etc. I was so angry. I told him I wasn't buying more. So he wears them, they are chewed, the Velcro strap on one is gone. But I can't buy more. I wish they understood to take care becaus ei can't buy more. I am so tired of being poor and cheap skatey.
July 27th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My kids have worn chewed up shoes a time or two themselves. My youngest has gone through at least 6 pairs of shoes this summer because they get left outside and the dogs chew them up. Luckily at 2 1/2 her favorite shoes are flip flops so not expensive to replace.
July 27th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Oh yeah esp my oldest ds he just totally doesn't care, he can never find matching shoes and the ones he does find are of course chewed up/no laces/sole coming of/too smallf, his feet are growing so fast right now that its hard to keep up.

The girls have a problem with brushing their hair, I always keep hair elastics on my shifter in the van for a quick messy bun before we run into the store.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 14, Xandria 12, Thayer 11, Alorah 9, Nathalia 7, Malayna 5, Sawyer 3 and Ryder 2
Make a pregnancy ticker

July 27th, 2012, 08:10 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
we are poor as dirt and for some reason my kids still look like super models
Farmers-wife likes this.
#12 is on the way
July 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
None of my kids clothes are nice enough to re-sell, or most of the time pass on to anyone else! My only rule is if it's super stained or has a hole I toss it. Holes in the knees of jeans are different of course unless they're huge. The automatic thing out of my mouth before we go anywhere to the girls is "brush your hair". The boys are usually more clean than the girls! lol

July 27th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
My kids know what I think is appropriate public clothing and they know I will be upset if they wear something inappropriate. It hasn't been an issue so far.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
July 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest son can NEVER remember to put on clean clothes in the morning. I have to remind him and if I don't, I'll realize while we are already in town that he's wearing yesterday's shirt and it has food on it. *sigh* My middle son remembers to change his clothes, but he doesn't always match but I don't really care. I like to pick my battles. If it's something totally crazy I'll tell him to change but I don't make a fuss about different shades of blue or something like that.

Yesterday I took the older two to the eye doctor for their annual checkups and the receptionist complimented my hair. Before I could stop myself I said "Oh, thanks! I was able to wash it today!" LOL She just laughed and said she remembered those years when she had young kids.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
July 27th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids are most horrible about changing underwear. The ones that don't wear pullups at night that is. Noah should know better by know he's fricken 11! I told him that if he doesn't improve I'm going to start yelling it out the car window when I drop him off at school that he has on dirty underwear.

July 27th, 2012, 02:34 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They are usually clean when we leave the house. Sometimes though when the weather is nice and they've been playing out back and we leave later in the day...
Other times I let them snack in the van "ritos" (Doritos) are the debil!!! They leave the littler ones orange. Then there are times where we leave the house, clean, go to the zoo...They have a snack or something. Then we have to stop at the store on the way home so...
July 27th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Generally speaking, mine have always looked nice going out, but this has happenend to me a couple times lately. Had to send my notorious #4 back in the house to change before we left.

And I can't keep my own clothes clean at home, because I have work to do, but I never go out looking grubby.

I'm pretty middle of the road when it comes to how my kids dress, they're definetly not the most stylish ones but their clothes aren't ratty either....well, the ones they're supposed to wear going out anyways
July 27th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My issue is with hair too. My girls have such curly crazy hair. It takes me like a half an hour to do up all three girls' hair in the morning...pony-tail, braid, or piggies. They never wear it down because it gets all up in their faces. Then they immediately go and do and roll around on the floor or something and it looks awful again. I redo it whenever we leave the house.

My oldest is seven and I just bought her her own Hello Kitty brush in an attempt to get her started on doing her own hair. She combed it for about an hour and it looked so teased up, lol. Maybe next year....
July 28th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When the bulk of mine were little, yes, always had this problem.

Now not so much, I only have to worry about what Sasha is wearing, the rest know how to dress themselves appropriately.
July 29th, 2012, 06:29 AM
sexypepsi25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My oldest I tell to go pick out an outfit and show it to me and brush their hair, the boys I try to help pick out clothes still. But I have to get the baby dressed. Most of the time I look worst than the kids. Even when dh comes with us I will get dressed get kids dressed and he gets dressed and I have to ask him why he getting so slutty looking. Plus being pregnant and looking cute is hard at times

July 30th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Veteran
I always know what they are wearing because I have to iron it before we go anywhere.
July 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Veteran
I am a little uptight about this. If I am going to take a herd of kids to the store, they are at least going to be neat and clean.
However, It never fails that something ridiculous happens. Like today, I didnt bring the full diaper bag because I was in a hurry. Of course, Aleah had the worst blowout she has had in at least 6 months. So we had to go to several stores with her in nothing but a diaper. She did have pretty pink bows in her hair though. lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search