Grocery Shopping

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shari626

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2012, 04:12 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
So, my husband and I are pretty lazy. We hate taking the kids shopping and we both cook totally different types of stuff. So we have to do our major shopping together since we like to alternate cooking duties. We do ONE BIG shopping trip a month and have a couple run out trips for produce during the month. We did our shopping today, went to 2 different stores and had about 4 buggies worth of stuff. I still have one more store to stop at tomorrow. We only have 4 kids. (Only 3 eat actual food).

This got me to thinking about those of you with even more kids. Any of you have to stock up on the buggies when shopping? How often to you shop and how many buggies do you fill? Do you take the kids with you?

September 6th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Sometimes I take the younger ones and sometimes I don't, but there is always at least one older one with me.

As for shopping, it's hard to say. We usually have food stored, so we right down what we use and when we get paid we replace it and that is bi-weekly. It's usually a cart full so I imagine if we only did it monthly it would be about 2 carts, maybe 3. The third cart would be for the things you have to go back and get...milk, bread, cheeses...things that always run out.

We had a few really rough few months so we went through our stores and had to eat very lean. This month I went and restocked and spent over a $1,000 to do it. Freezer is completely full again, so are the cabinets and then the things we store.
September 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I store, too, and try to shop in bulk. I also shop sales and look for the best deals. We usually do one big shopping trip a month, and then every 2 weeks for bread, milk, and produce.

September 6th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We go once or twice a week, but once or twice a month I do a big shop. I usually take a couple of little ones with me. Sometimes I take older boys but then they annoy me and I put them on grocery store restriction. The littles love it because they get a cookie.
September 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL.....buggies......

sorry - no one here calls them that and it took me a few minutes to figure out what you were talking about.

We just call them shopping carts.

Sorry - doesn't answer you original post....
therevslady likes this.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

September 6th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do it myself, one cart every five days, and I don't take the kids
September 7th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I take a few kids with each time. Usually for about a week, or I shop for what I have money for. I'd say we spend about 600 a month on just food. Not including household stuff.

It sucks going shopping and having to carry the stuff in by myself lol

September 7th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I go to Costco once a month, (it depends when I'm near it or what's going on like a birthday party or going camping) and I go to No frills which is cheapest by far once a month for my "big" grocery trips. Then I'll buy the fresh stuff at our local grocery store, and will buy the things that are on sale. Prices are terrible unless it's on sale, then they're pretty good.

I rarely take the kids with me, I've always tried to go without them. I feel bad saying that, but I like it better so I can concentrate. I fill one shopping cart, but at Costco I will have a cart, but they'll put it on a pallet because they can't get in back in the cart
September 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I go during the day and have the youngest (1 year old) with me. I don't bring the older kids with me because then they start wanting things that are not on my list and are not on sale

I go once a week usually. I do price matching at Walmart so I don't have to go to every store for their specific deals. Just bring in their sales flyers and Walmart matches their prices. I plan all my meals and snacks, etc around the sales.

Then I go to Costco once or twice a month to stock up on other things that are cheaper there.

September 7th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Lately I have to go with dh because I'm not allowed to push the cart or pick up heavy things, usually we take the ryder and rotate the others last week we had Alorah, Nathalia and Ryder we had 2 carts at BJ's spent $600, it was a stock up trip like pasta and side dishes etc. we are already out of fruit and drinks so we will probably go tomorrow afternoon and spend around $200.

Since dh has been going we end up spending quite a bit more.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

September 11th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Super Mommy
I usually go every second thursday, which is payday, during the summer i have all 3 with me and now because they are both in school i only have my youngest with me.
I usually spend $150 every 2 weeks, And when my husband finally gets back out on a rig, I will go to Costco and stock up, that usually costs $500, but that is toilet paper and paper towel, as well as somethings we dont usually buy.
For regular grocery shopping I go to no frills, they have the best deals by far!

This year we are planning on getting a cow from the butcher shop, it will last us a year, hopefully. And that will make groceries less when i go. I also make my own bread, and have a rule not to buy any packaged cookies, cakes etc. If i can bake it I usually dont buy it. its cheaper in the long run.
On top of the $150, i spend $50-$75 on gluten free/egg/diary free things from my youngest. But I have found gf flour in bulk for him so it will be cheaper now too

September 12th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I usually take all four of mine, but it sucks. If I get a chance to go alone or with just one or two I take it! I have four also and can get a week's worth in one cart...it is pretty full though.
September 15th, 2012, 07:45 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We usually all go together, and shop for a week at a time (we have a stockpile of things we use regularly though, so that helps). I can usually fit it all in one cart, provided that the kids haven't climbed into it lol. There are six of us, plus MIL, to feed in our house.
September 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We take all the kids with, 4 carts, and go about every 2 weeks. Since we raise a lot of ours, we don't need to go as often which helps.

September 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Veteran
I coupon, so once a week I make the rounds of the stores I frequent. Then if there is odds and ends I just pick them up at the little grocery store downstairs. I stock up on whatever I can get for free or nearly free that week so my trips vary by the sale week. Some weeks I don't go at all. Gas stations are the cheapest place for milk around here so we just pick it up as we need it. I do have to take 3 kids to the store this year because preschool is afternoons only and thats when the babies nap.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search