Sleep away camp

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2012, 06:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone sent their kids? Did they enjoy it? Or can anyone even afford it? lol... It seems to have gotten CRAZY expensive since I was a kid.

I did hear of an affordable one run through a church that some friends have used...we may consider that one in the future. I wouldn't send any of mine until they are VERY good swimmers though. I just don't trust anyone else to watch them around water as well as I do.

If you've not done sleep away camp, have any of you sent kids to stay with grandparents or other relatives for a week or so? We haven't done that yet either, but I may send one or two to visit my in-laws during future summers. I can't see anyone offering to host all four. Maybe they can take turns.
September 22nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Sleep away camp I have never really checked into it. I do know that the Salvation Army has a camp for low income kids and its supposed to be really nice. I have never had any kids that interested in it.

My mom takes 2-3 kids almost every weekend. She loves to have them and they do crafts and all kinds of fun grandma stuff.
#12 is on the way
September 22nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
We've done church camp a couple of times with some of the girls. My oldest hated it because she wasn't there with anyone that she was really close to. She's not very interested in making new friends. I just have no idea where she gets that from.

As far as grandparents, my 3 older girls have done that every summer. I haven't sent the 4th yet. I am still nursing, and that was my excuse this summer -- she couldn't go because of that. They all wanted her to go. My oldest didn't do it this summer because she was stuck at home because of grades, but I don't think she'll make that mistake again. We usually leave how long they're gone up to them. School doesn't get out till after mid-June, and they have to be back by mid-August for sports. Usually at least 1 of them will stay the whole time. They get to spend time with both grandparents and their cousins so it's a great experience for them. I also don't call them when they are gone. When they want to talk, they call us. We have found, at least for our girls, that if we call every day, that's when they start to get homesick. I want them to have a good time and form close relationships with their family so we just go by their leads.

September 22nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
my kids go for sleepovers at their grandparents, but not more than 2 nights. I've sent them to summer camp when they're a little older, 10 is the youngest but with a sibling and they've had lots of fun. I sent them to a church camp, which is reasonable when it comes to what camps seem to cost, $200. The younger group goes rock climbing and repelling and the older group goes white water rafting as their big activity.
September 22nd, 2012, 10:39 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most of the kids have had sleepovers at grandparents house. Becca and Bastian never have. We've never done a camp, but I'm sure they would do fine with it so long as it's something they want to do, not just something that is required of them.

"camp" got ruined for me when my parents MADE me go to some church camp. I've never been a churchy person.

September 22nd, 2012, 06:39 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
My kids are still too young for sleep away camps, but the oldest two visit grandparents (their Dads parents, DH is their step dad) every second weekend fir a night or two).
September 22nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
mine are too little yet, out here there are a few camps but the kids have to be at least eight. My ILs live 7hrs away and in a few years N will be big enough to start going there for a week or so and eventually they'll all go during the summer and Christmas holidays for some time
September 22nd, 2012, 09:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Our 5th grade has a week away each year in the Spring and it is 250 or so besides the fundraising. My oldest did not want to go and my son asked to not go as well. They are not big fans of stuff like that.

My oldest has stayed with my ILs in NY for 2-3 weeks three different times during summer break from school.

September 24th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
My #2 went for the first time this summer it was conservation camp and she had a scholarship for it. She loved it. We are looking into a basketball camp this summer for her. The older 3 have also each gone to spend a week with my parents during the summer.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 14, Xandria 12, Thayer 11, Alorah 9, Nathalia 7, Malayna 5, Sawyer 3 and Ryder 2
Make a pregnancy ticker

September 29th, 2012, 09:30 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My older 3 have gone to a YMCA summer camp for a week. They have gone the last 3 summers and love it! Next summer my older two are starting their camp counselor in training program and are really excited. I was sooo nervous the first year we sent them, but they all cam back with great stories of how much fun they had and begging to go back again. And my son who can be a trouble maker came back with a new attitude when he went over the summer this year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search