Home school/ public/private school?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Veteran
Who home schools and who has kids in public/private school?

I home schooled till #6 came along then we did Christian private for a couple yrs and decided on public.

The private was a 1.5 hour bus ride with transfer and the public is 30 min on the bus that stop at the corner of our acerage.

The public is the small country school I went to and until last year had 2 of the same teachers I had! There are several like minded teachers there as well as the principle so it is perfect in every way for us. It is a amazing blessing.

They are 75 student Kindie through grade 7. As long as they have 65 students they wil remain open. If not the kids will be bussed to larger city like school or back to private. If that happens I will homeschool again.

I have 5 children going there and another family has 4 and will have 5 as well next year. If we both home school the schooled will most likely shut down... No pressure here lol
Irene Mom to 9 and ttcing #10
Married to my best friend 23 yrs!
5 Girls and 4 Boys

9 First Trimester Angels
Elija 17w Angel
Angel 17w Angel

DS 22(Mar12) DD 20(Jan3) DD 18(July6) DD 11(Oct18) DS 10(May18) DD 8(Jan9)
DS 7(Sept27) DS 5(Sept20) DD 2(June2)
TTCing #10 with unexplained infertility and 1 tube.

My Ovulation Chart
September 30th, 2012, 06:03 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
We homeschool. New into the journey. Right now it's only my oldest two in 3rd and prek

September 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
public charter school on the corner. I have absolutely NO desire to home school.
#12 is on the way
September 30th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Homeschool through K12. It's like public school in my house.
October 1st, 2012, 03:17 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have one in college.
One in private school.
Two in public.

We are all over the place.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

October 1st, 2012, 06:11 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
We use public school. I've often thought of home schooling, and if I didn't have to work, I really think that I would do it. It would remove so many of the troubles that arise. But anyhow, that's not a possibility for us right now. Our girls were in private school for a couple of years when we lived in Wisconsin, but we can't afford private on the East Coast. The one in Wisconsin was affiliated with our church, and we got a pretty decent discount.

October 1st, 2012, 06:34 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We homeschool. We used to do public school, but it wasn't working out for #3 so we pulled them all out.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
October 1st, 2012, 06:41 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All my kids go to public school. I couldn't provide the trained assistance that Sebastian and Sydney get at school if I home schooled them. That and it wouldn't be fair to Becca or Noah to be home schooled, they love school and have friends there and look forward to going. Becca asks 3000000x a day when she is going to school, and tells me how it's not fair that Sebastian gets to go in the morning and she has to go in the afternoon lol

October 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Veteran
We home-school. If we could afford it, we would consider our church's school though.
October 1st, 2012, 01:59 PM
DoubleTrouble07N09's Avatar Twin Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to DoubleTrouble07N09 Send a message via MSN to DoubleTrouble07N09 Send a message via Yahoo to DoubleTrouble07N09
Mine all go to Catholic school... I love it
11/07 x's2
05/09 x's2

October 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oldest 2 are in public, one homeschooled and the rest aren't school age yet.

October 2nd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have homeschooled all of them from the beginning. I couldnt handle the nit picky crap I hear about and would be ¨that mom¨ to the school staff so it is just better that I do it myself. I mean, seriously, the orthodontist receptionist always asks if I need a note to take the kid back to school. I am just aghast that I would need that. It is like everything revolves around the school. I just know I would have blow up fights with administration. I do resepect what teachers are trying to accomplish, though. I wouldnt want to be a classroom teacher. Though I have thought of helping coach reading or elementary math when my kids are all working independently. I struggled so much in math as a kid and I am rocking it now. I feel like I would be a better tutor than someone who was good in math. Like I can see what the kid is missing.
October 2nd, 2012, 10:27 PM
Regular
I believe that if you homeschool in Australia up to grade/year 12 they don't recognise the final year and I think you have to re-do the final year of school. If this were not the case then I would definitely homeschool my kids for high school, as there is a lot of bullying, drugs and extremely bad behaviour in the public and private high schools.

Furthermore, the private schools are prohibitively expensive and even though I only have 4 and would only have 3 in high school at the same time, that would be at least $1500 per month for one of the cheapest private schools! We are currently placing all our hopes on a new public school that is apparently being built 5 minutes up the road from us. I will be speaking to our primary school's headmaster to see if this is actually going ahead and will be ready when my daughter leaves primary school (2 years time).
October 3rd, 2012, 04:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We homeschool. We're looking into moving to a better area though and would send the kids to public schools if we did.
October 3rd, 2012, 05:22 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Public school, I tried homeschooling for one year and was so relieved when the girls decided to try school again, also the issues that were going on when I pulled them out were resolved. I really like the public school now, and the teachers all know me and my tribe. My sil works there as a para and I get all the gossip lol. It is a pretty small school, and they divide the classes up if they have 23-24 students so right now all of the grades have 2 classes. I think the biggest class is malayna's with 14 kids. More and more families have been moving into the district because of the school.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

October 3rd, 2012, 07:43 AM
I have one just graduated homeschool (did GED for requirements in our state) and he starts college in Jan! He is 16! I am rather proud of this! lol
3 more in homeschool-twins in 8th and another boy in 9th
then
one 1st grade boy, one kinder boy (both in public school)
and
a 4 year old in preschool/day school!
October 3rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
FW, I AM that mom!!! LOL
Farmers-wife likes this.
#12 is on the way
October 3rd, 2012, 02:49 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMomma View Post
FW, I AM that mom!!! LOL
Why am I not surprised?
UrbanMomma likes this.
October 4th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
My younger children all go to the local public school (we walk each day rain or shine). It is a good school with small classes. We don't have any private schools that i like locally. My oldest lives away at college
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

October 4th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our kids go to a small private Christian school from k-9. My oldest in grade 10 is in public school. LOVE my Christian school, but it's good for them to move on after grade 9.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search