2 nd hand clothes or brand spanking new clothes?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By UrbanMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Veteran
Do you use 2nd had clothes? Do you buy mostly brand new?

My view over the last few yours has changed.I used to ONLY buy new clothes that Hardly ever made it to Hand me downs.
However the last few yrs I really started to see the HUGE HUGE amount of material/energy waste we were creating in just clothing not suitable for reuse.

Then I realized all the energy/materials/resources that went into making the new clothes ( we are a Green family for the most part )

I don't know about you guys but living outside playing most days my kids trash their clothes both at home and climbing trees/field sports at school and eventually need to be discarded. I have seen NO difference in longevity from new to used in kid endurance. It makes more sense to me to discard something I Reused rather something that was brand new. Such a HUGE waste of resources I felt.

So it took some effort and changing of my comfort zone and a new mind set for the kids but now we use mostly used clothing with exception of underwear/shoes/socks/bra/bathing suits stuff like that.

I still am fussy and shop high end and consignment clothing used clothing. I always have couple new outfits starting school for the kids and randomly pick up new stuff through the month.

We get our water directly from the river 50ft from back door and that waters all my food gardens/animals so I have to be careful because anything we do in the house/on the land literally will be recycled right back into our food.

So if I seam a little over the top on being green you know why LOLOL.
Irene Mom to 9 and ttcing #10
Married to my best friend 23 yrs!
5 Girls and 4 Boys

9 First Trimester Angels
Elija 17w Angel
Angel 17w Angel

DS 22(Mar12) DD 20(Jan3) DD 18(July6) DD 11(Oct18) DS 10(May18) DD 8(Jan9)
DS 7(Sept27) DS 5(Sept20) DD 2(June2)
TTCing #10 with unexplained infertility and 1 tube.

My Ovulation Chart
September 30th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
A combination of things. It just depends on what I can find. Some years it is possible to do almost all second hand, last year due to the kids sizes that wasn't possible.
October 1st, 2012, 06:02 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
We try to do second-hand through a consignment shop. However, we also bargain shop. The girls know I don't buy anything if it's not on sale. My oldest is really good at it! She quickly discovered that she gets more items if she watches the prices.

And, at holidays, it's new clothes. Play clothes are definitely something I don't mind getting second hand.

October 1st, 2012, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
when my kids were young, i bought new but also saved and passed down through my 3 boys. my daughter had all hand-me-downs for the first few years of her life because i had a great friend that bought beautiful things for her daughter and shared with me.

now i find that buying used (especially big outdoor toys) is a great cost effective way to shop for my grandkids and i would not buy that stuff new probably ever again.

~~terre~~
October 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I thrift store shop and the kids look like fashion models...LOL. My older sons wear more name brands then most kids because we buy second hand. We are picky and shop careful. My 15 yo son, and 9 yo dd, are great bargain hunters!
Kristina and HalfDozen like this.
#12 is on the way
October 4th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hardly buy anything at thrift stores, but I am a deal hunter and find most everything on sale. My older kids actually get a lot of clothes for my much younger sister, she is a trendy city girl (and her and her husband both make really good money and it's just the 2 of them) so she gives them great stuff that's basically brand new.
October 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I look for deals at thrift stores and garage sales. I also go on those buy/sell sites and have gotten some great deals. My younger son wears my older son's hand me downs. And whatever is still in good shape I have put away for my youngest son to wear eventually.

I do buy new stuff when its on clearance as my kids like some of the name brands. And I buy new stuff for holidays.

I always buy undergarments and shoes new though.

October 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I buy new only because I can find new clothes for the same price as thrift store ones in our area. The thrift store wants $4-$5 an item, and a lot of the stuff honestly is junk. For that price I can go to Kohl's and buy store brand kids' clothes or else a lot of other places on sale.

When they were babies I got a lot of handy me downs and yard sale finds, but I haven't had as much luck as they've gotten older. I do have three girls, so I can pass things down that way at least.
October 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest sons get mostly new because it is harder to find used clothes in their size. I don't mind though, we have 5 boys that will go through those clothes. We clothing share with several other large families and that works out well. Occasionally I will buy my girls new matching outfits because they get a kick out of dressing the same.

October 5th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
I never pay full price for clothes. I either shop clearance, or do second hand shopping, we also receive a ton of hand-me-downs.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

October 9th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do both, cheaper brands for new, expensiver brands for 2nd hand if they're in great shape
October 18th, 2012, 06:44 AM
marlz_04's Avatar Member
I do both. BUT I love second hand shopping... I buy all the name brands and all of them are like new.. such a bargin. I love saving money.. I would never put my kids in any clothes that at stained or mouldy.. or 2nd hand undies or socks.. but im happy to get second hand stuff thats like new : )
October 18th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Veteran
Another combination here. I used to do all consignment shops unless there was a particular piece of clothing they needed for school or a scout troop then we bought new. Now that they are older we shop a teen/young adult thrift store that only carries particular name brands (Abercombie & Fitch, American Eagle, Aeropostale, etc). I also buy clearance "constantly" ... the kids know, if it costs over a certain price I won't buy it (unless it is a needed item that we can't work around - which is rare). I've learned how to take advantage of certain sales at places I would never go - buy certain price and lower items, earn "cash" rewards + discounts on our next shopping trip, go back and get more things with that and keep the carosel going like that - getting a bunch of stuff free. I hate shopping so this is huge for me to figure things like this out - it's what keeps me sane lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search