Thanksgiving scaled down?!?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Repti.Mom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 04:30 PM
Veteran
Well at least in the kitchen!

It is our Thanksgiveing next weekend and my DD and her Dh have invited US for dinner . Now comes the fun part! The just moved in together after honeymoon in July.

They live in a tiny place ONLY 2 bedrooms and 1 apartment size stove and same fridge ( she grew up with a massive stove and 2 stainless steelfridges side by side) and learned to cook and a large scale.

Her Dh comes from a 4 person family his Father is a pastor and grew up in a townhouse in the city centre and has gone through some culture shock with being around large families who live off the land LOL

DD and him are so excited to host dinner in their miniature world LOL We will be with them 5 days as it a 6 hour drive and all the kids want to hang at sister's house!

So here DD and I are going to be cooking on her tiny stuff LOL She says we could cut the hams in half and cook them Them in 4 batches LOL Her kitchen is equally as tiny this should be a very very interesting Thanksgiveing and one I am so looking forward too!! DD and her DH are sooooo excited she is 20 and he is 24 and only 2 yrs older then my oldest We all have a super great relationship with him.
Irene Mom to 9 and ttcing #10
Married to my best friend 23 yrs!
5 Girls and 4 Boys

9 First Trimester Angels
Elija 17w Angel
Angel 17w Angel

DS 22(Mar12) DD 20(Jan3) DD 18(July6) DD 11(Oct18) DS 10(May18) DD 8(Jan9)
DS 7(Sept27) DS 5(Sept20) DD 2(June2)
TTCing #10 with unexplained infertility and 1 tube.

My Ovulation Chart
October 2nd, 2012, 07:29 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds fun! Where will ya'll sleep??

This is our first year planning Thanksgiving all by ourselves. We've always went to someone else's house. I'm kinda worried because I've never cooked a turkey before, lol!

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

October 2nd, 2012, 07:38 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH grills the turkey each year. Grilled turkey is so much more moist than oven turkey. He always says when the kids get older and have spouses and children we will rent a hall and have someone cater it for us.

Your thanksgiving sounds super fun though, it will be and experience for sure!
Farmers-wife likes this.

October 2nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
Veteran
LOl I Acually have only cooked 2 or 3 turkies in my life we always do hams. We like ham much better.

Turkey on a grill that sounds really good!

We have a small hall near us that we have used for birthday parties. Just because I don't like tons of other people's kids running through my house.

I only use that for indoor parties we have plenty of room and outdoor furniture to host outside parties and dinners.

Oh she has a sectional couch and a large area between between living room and dining room that has a fireplace and used for sitting room.Kids will crash there,on the couch,in the spare room and Any other place we can stack them LOL
5 Girls and 4 Boys

9 First Trimester Angels
Elija 17w Angel
Angel 17w Angel

My Ovulation Chart
October 2nd, 2012, 07:05 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Grilled turkey is amazing! We always do that for Christmas as we always go to my inlaws for Thanksgiving. We stay home for Christmas (or do something of our choosing, not beholden to anyone or any tradition)

I have been wanting to post this all day but haven´t been on the real computer and I dont feel like signing in on the ipad all the time. I think it is super nice of you to go to her house for the holiday. It really shows respect and honor to me! I am very impressed. Now that you did it, I will have to think it through very carefully when my girls move out, get married, and want to host stuff.
October 3rd, 2012, 12:35 AM
Veteran
Farmer wife you know that was exactly why when she asked us we did not have to even think about it. Again for us it all about family not who hosts what.

Her Dh's family live close by and they have Thanksgiveing planned for Sunday so they will attend and Dh and I will take the kids to the planetarium that day. We are doing our's on Monday that way both of them can have time with both families.

So us going there makes things possible for that.

As much as I LOVE hosting. In a way I feel privileged to pass the Host torch over to her for her first Thanksgiveing married. I have great respect for her marriage and the life they have made with each other.

I want them to experience the joy in hosting with her Dh.....even it means utter chaos for me LOLOL

Her Dh is so wonderful and holds such respect for her as well as her whole family.

Sometimes I forget she is just 20 and he just 24!
Already done first yr college lived on compass 6 hours away as she worked in a dentist office to help with school, Together they went to work up north 17 hours away to help pay for their wedding while still liveing apart and paying 2 room and boards ,now married and Hosting holidays! Where did the time go!

I am really proud of both of them!
5 Girls and 4 Boys

9 First Trimester Angels
Elija 17w Angel
Angel 17w Angel

My Ovulation Chart
October 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a fun memory you're about to make, and I'm glad your daughter chose well.

We're having dinner at my mom and dad's on sunday and on Thanksgiving we go to church and the rest of the day is all ours.
October 9th, 2012, 12:20 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also was going to suggest you grill or deep fry the meat.

We've started a tradition with my family because they live out of town we can't get together for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So, they come down at either Thanksgiving or Christmas and we have a big Thanksgiving dinner and then open presents the following morning. It's a lot of fun!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search