What's your dh like when you're in labor

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What is your dh like when you're in labor? And is he more comfortble with it as you've had more babies.

Dh totally didn't know what to do with himself the first 3 times around, plus he's nervous. His worst comments include: "you think you're tired, I got up at 5" (after I said I was tired), sex jokes and the phrase "hey, just like with cows" (granted we have a dairy farm, but still).

Of course, this was years ago and he's learned many things about being a husband (and me being a wife) so we've both learned a thing or 2.

#4 was a preemie and her labor was different and the birth scary and dh was perfect and by #5 he knew just what to do and how to be.
October 11th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sweet and quiet. Vigilant to make sure everyone else is quiet. He hates it though. He gets nervous and scared every time.
October 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
My husband was there for 8, 9, and 10. #8 was born at home and I remember at one point hearing the MW say "its okay keep breathing" and I was thinking "what, I am" because I was very calm. I looked up and my husband was freaking out. LOL. I was in labor telling HIM to stay calm. LMAO

#9 and 10 he was much better. He frets when I am in labor because I like to wait until the last minute to call for assistance, it makes him nervous
#12 is on the way
October 11th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband is pretty quiet too. He did a good job of pushing on my back this last time with the back labor. He's also really good at tracking down nurses and doctors lol. He is the type to just stand by my side and hold my hand.

October 11th, 2012, 03:05 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
He's awesome. I told him exactly what I wanted ahead of time and he did his best to do it. This past time, I just wanted to labor alone in my bedroom and he took care of the kids and kept the house running as normal so that I could be alone. Then there was a time when I wanted him in the room with me, but I just wanted to know he was there and didn't want him "watching" me and waiting. He was perfect and just read a book and sat near me. I don't like people to hover around me when I labor and he most definitely did not do that. During the birth of my 3rd, he looked up my favorite hymn and played it over my phone for me. Most importantly, I know that he's always praying continuously.

October 11th, 2012, 03:53 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
He's really calm and good. He will do whatever I need, and mostly he just holds my hand (and lets me squeeze the life out of his). This last one was a scary delivery, but he stayed very calm and didn't tell me until weeks later about some of the stuff that was going on. I was really out of it with pain, and he knew he had to be in control.

I was with someone else with my first, and he freaked a little.

October 11th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My husband HATES the whole process.

With the first he was a nervous wreck, normal for the first time right? The second he wasn't there, which was not a bad thing, she came to quick and was born on a couch all but delivered by my mom.

The next two, I have no clue since I didn't birth them (I don't mind bonus kids, cut's out so of the work).

Since I knew his reaction with number 5 I went in to be induced, he went to work. I was supposed to call him when things picked up. I did, he got there and an hour later our son was born. I did have my 2 older girls there, scared the tar out of Megan so they had to leave the room.

He stands by the head of the bed facing the wall, no looking, no peeking...nothing. He is pointless. That's pretty much how it is with every kid. I honestly wished he would stay home, I have back-ups, and honestly doing it alone isn't that big of deal to me.

with the last one he slept the whole time, in fairness he had just come off graveyard and was pushing almost 15 hours of awakeness. The nurse kept making coments, but truthfully I was glad he was asleep. He makes me crazy. I had Megan and she was an excellent care giver this time. Sneaking me ice cream and soda . Since Kailyn came out unassisted..literally popped right out, no one had to watch me 'labor'. He did wake up when about 5 nurses come running in my room.

so as you can see...mine is of no use.
October 11th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He's fantastic. Our last 4 were born at home and we sat around laughing at silly YouTube videos with the midwives. I don't like a lot of physical support during labor, but needed him by my side when it came time to push. He does a great job managing the kids during and after the birth, too.
October 12th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Dh is pretty good although he forgets not to touch me unless I ask and sometimes he annoys me with questions like you want ice chips now, a drink, etc. But that is just me being moody because if he didn't it would annoy me too. He lets me hang on to his hand and squeeze the tar out of it too. I really really really don't like to be touched while in labor and esp while pushing, the whole hold her legs and being pushed forward gets me all clausterphobic. He loves the process and loves watching them be delivered.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 14, Xandria 12, Thayer 11, Alorah 9, Nathalia 7, Malayna 5, Sawyer 3 and Ryder 2
Make a pregnancy ticker

October 12th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He sleeps up til transition, lol! He does what I ask but he doesn't hover which works for me. He does get pretty excited when it comes time to push. Just like me he's ready to meet his baby at that point.
October 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Veteran
Hubby for the first was talking to his mom and sisters the whole time so they were not allowed in for the next kids. I told him what to do for #2 but really, I got to the hospital and she was born a half hour later (hubby was only in the room for 10 minutes). For #3, he was wonderful. It was 19 hours of back labor so he went to the store to get a back massager thingy and did whatever i asked. He was also great in keeping me calm. #4 came so fast, hubby delivered her on our bedroom floor so I think he's over being scared/nervous LOL.
October 12th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
He is amazing the best support I could ever ask for, we are best friends like BEST friends so we flow like that together in every situation we just know what to do for eachother so he just becomes my rock every time
5 time HG survivor , AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 9mo 10/10/13

October 12th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Matt's great. Quiet, calm, attentive. I couldn't ask for more. BUT (and this is a big but) he almost missed Beth's birth because he took a break to get tacos for lunch, lol.
October 14th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
only had one labor and it was with my first, he did all of the appropriate stuff considering it was the first baby for both of us, like we knew what we were supposed to do lol! I think we both drew an inner sigh of relief when they finally decided to send me for an emerg c/s, that we could handle!
October 14th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know yet how DH will be. This is his first to be at the birth. I will be having a c-section so he won't have to worry about labour too much. He is worried all the time now, so I am sure when the day comes he will be awful!...lol.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search