How should I handle this?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 2 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 2 Post By mom2many2010

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So the kids go to this dentist. We go for free because of some arrangement between the dh's boss and the dentist (relatives/do computer work for them). This started when we had 3. I have started feeling like we have totally taken advantage of this. But I couldn't afford it for real. He wants to pull a tooth from #5. I don't want to. I don't think it is necessary but I can't think of a good excuse not to. He isn't doing it for the money, we don't pay. And the last time I said I didn't like something, the office manager snapped at me if I don't trust him maybe I shouldn't come there. So I don't want to go. The last time he wanted to pull one, some others had sealants or cavities to fill so I just went and said the pulling one was throwing up and left her at home. Then just made the appt for the next check up 6 mos later. But tis time it is just him. How can I get out of this, make the regular appt, without pissing them off? The appt is early Monday.
October 24th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Veteran
What are his reasons for pulling the tooth? That would help me in what advice to give.

BUT if you really really don't agree with the pulling then you could call Monday morning and say y'all have a tummy bug or something and that you'll call back for another appt once y'all feel better ....

October 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm really not sure how to get out of it without them catching on. You've used the sick excuse already. Although with large families it is perfectly possible to have lots and lots of sick days.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

October 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Just tell them no. That's what I would do. Eliminates all the bull****
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
October 24th, 2012, 11:02 AM
We have small mouths, lots of crowding. He wants to pull it to make room for the big tooth to come in. I think it will come out on its one. We have slow maturing bodies here. A long time for teeth to comet out, grow in. Slow boobs, periods. So I think it just needs time.
8forus likes this.
October 24th, 2012, 11:12 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Yeah, then, just say not now, I want to wait.
Farmers-wife and 8forus like this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
October 24th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Yeah. I will do that.
Just_Marie likes this.
October 24th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Just ask if you can take a wait and see approach, we are the same way with teeth. Heck, Kailyn was 2 when she got her first teeth and still doesn't have all of her back teeth. So I get it.
clouise and Farmers-wife like this.
October 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Just called and cancelled. Will call in a couple weeks to schedule the regular appt in 6 months! Maybe I will call in six months and give it a year.
October 24th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The kids have weird teeth here too. RJ only has one of his back molars, but already lost his two bottom teeth and the new ones grew in already.

So technically he is not doing this for you for 'free' if your husband is doing something for him. I wouldn't feel guilty about speaking your mind or concerns.

October 24th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd take the "wait and see" approach too. Free or not they are your kids. A doctor gives recommendations, and then we parents make the final call.

On another note - I had my last baby tooth pulled when I was 15. The adult tooth didn't come in until I was 17. It was near the front, and I have a missing tooth in my prom pictures. I would have much rather waited! My teeth are fine and healthy today. My children are also late teethers...they each got a first tooth between 12 and 18 months. I'm assuming everything else will be late too.
October 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are absolutely right, dudes nuts for wanting to pull a healthy tooth. Unless he's trying to save you future $$ on braces???
October 24th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Nope. Still gonna have to get braces.
October 25th, 2012, 08:13 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Chances are they'll pull it when they get braces anyhow. My oldest had to have 2 teeth pulled this spring because she didn't have enough room once they started straightening all of her teeth.

New picture in progress......
October 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I won't put them in braces til all the baby teeth are out. I had 4 adult teeth pulled when I got braces. My oldest didn't have any and her teeth were just like mine. Our orthodontist said they don't pull as much as they used to.
October 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My #3 had 4 teeth pulled out a few years ago already, and she's still crowded and will need braces. I didn't have a problem with it, the dentist did a great job of explaining his reasons and showed me how teeth line up in a "normal" mouth. She has a molar growing out towards the inside of her mouth right now, so I'm happy we took those others out.

Postponing sounds like the right idea for you, if it doesn't seem right, don't do it.
October 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my step-daughter had 10 teeth (or was it 11) pulled all at one time!!!! she was about 10ish years old. i don't remember her without teeth so the adult teeth must have grown in fast. she had braces but they left her with a gap between her front two teeth.

~~terre~~
October 25th, 2012, 03:48 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I would wait too, unless it's causing some other tooth to grow in all screwed up or something.

My kids are actually missing some adult teeth. It's a genetic defect, their father and his twin sister have the same problem, and both still have some baby teeth and they are 33. So, they have to take super good care of those baby teeth so they can keep them as long as possible.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search