Parenting/friend question

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By #5in2005
  • 1 Post By Farmers-wife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I have this dear friend, for almost 20 years. Her son and my son are best friends. Her sons birthday is coming up and she wants my son to come to her house Friday-Sunday. We live well over an hour apart, she works in the middle, and we go to the same church, so logistically it makes sense.

But she wants me to bring her 6 yo son to my house.

Moreover, my son doesn't want to be there that long. He doesn't want to be there Saturday afternoon/evening because they get all into fsu football and the dad and neighbors hang out and drink. My husband doesn't want him spending the night there because of the drinking. But I don't want to go get him. And I really don't want to keep the 6yo.

But this is all my fault because the kids birthday was this past Saturday but he didn't have a party because I had too much to do for my kid to go hang out with him. So my friend pushed it to next weekend.

Why did she ask me to keep her 6 yo? Why can't he be home with his brother? The kid is turning 10.
October 29th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I bet the mom was thinking...."let the birthday boys have a weekend to themselves"

Great idea....but why doesn't she send her son to family or friends who are more local?

I don't know what I would, mainly because your son doesn't want to do it. Can your son 'get sick'?.....
October 29th, 2012, 06:00 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would probably blame it on myself. Something to the effect of your ds has never been away that long?? unless she knows differently?? I am not comfortable with it. How many dc does she have? I personally can't understand wanting to ship one off, for us we have a "The more the Merrier" attitude. I mean we do let them spend time/nights away, but we wouldn't actively try to ship one off......unless we are having a get away, then it's a whole different subject.
October 29th, 2012, 06:05 PM
She has 3. 15, 10, 6. She knows differently because we have sent the boys to each other for that long. Dh needs the iPad. Brb.
October 29th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Can you just make it one night? I know that's a lot of driving, but still. How about drop your son off on Saturday, then pick him up from church on Sunday.
October 30th, 2012, 06:22 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I'd just go with it won't work out lets just do it another time.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
October 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I would do the driving and pick up my kid on Saturday. If your son (and husband) are uncomfortable with him staying saturday afternoon/night then he shouldn't be there, but I wouldn't want to hurt the mom and kids' feelings by not going at all, since she is a long time friend.

I guess I do understand the swapping of the children. I have sent younger kids off on sleepovers during birthday parties occasionally because all they want to do is be with the big kids, and all the older sister wants is not to have all her younger sisters with her and her friends the whole time. It just eliminates conflict, and that way the younger kid is happy that they have something to do too.
Farmers-wife likes this.
October 30th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Alright. I will drive to get him on sat. Though he said yesterday he wants to stay because last time they had gator and hopes they do again.
mom2many2010 likes this.
October 30th, 2012, 12:19 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Ahhhh, the reasons I am sometimes happy I have no real irl friends. I don't have to deal with this stuff. But I tell people all the time my favorite word is no.

Hope everything works out and ds has a good time!
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search