Vacations!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2012, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, how do you all afford vacations?

We haven't been on one for 3 years. Traveling and hotel stays get expensive for 11 of us. It usually requires 3 hotel rooms.

The last vacation we took the kids to a waterpark hotel. We had two rooms for two nights and it cost $500 for them. We had free access to the waterpark, and a great breakfast. So we had to get lunch/dinner for us.

Now that I write this, it doesn't sound that bad. But my hubby doesn't get paid vacations, when he's working, so we also take the income loss for a few days as well. I guess you add that into the gas and it just seems expensive.

Am I just being cheap, yes, probably .

But how do you all do it? What do you cut out? Tips?

Thanks ladies!

November 2nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
We don't really take vacation, we find things locally to do. Camping being the biggest one, even though I hate it.
November 2nd, 2012, 10:39 AM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yeah, when mine were young, we couldn't afford to do anything. now i notice that they are doing more day trip activities with their kids rather than big planned vacations.

~~terre~~
November 2nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't do vacations either, in the sense of hotels/flying etc. We have a holiday trailer, (rv, camper, whatever you want to call it) and that's how we do our away from home stuff. We make a point of going away with just the 7 of us, and further away every year, but only for 4 days, the rest we camp close to home, but there's a camp fire/ beach and friends, so it's fun. And you always have all your food with you. so that eliminates eating out. In winter we ski every saturday, what we spend on a pass is what it costs for lift tickets for a day in the mountains, let alone stay there.
The clincher with us is that we always have to pay someone to look after things at home here, so on top of your vacation, there's at least $100 for someone milking.
And it's always a choice too, we could take a wonderful vacation for what we spend on our Christian School tuition.

That said, I do dream of it, I'd love to go stay somewhere for a few days and be away, but you can't have it all.
November 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Most of our "vacations" for us is going to visit family/friends out of state. No hotels because we stay with family/friends. We find local, cheap entertainment for the area we are visiting.

If there's something special we want to do, like an amusement park, we save up for it or wait until tax returns.

November 2nd, 2012, 11:59 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Haven't ever been on vacation, can't afford it.
#12 is on the way
November 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
UM, to bad I couldn't swing in and take your family too

We have thought of an RV, but the thought of cramming 12 of us into one, is just, I don't know......just doesn't sound like fun I'd be surprised if we could even fit that many.

I would travel and stay with family, but our family all lives within an hour of us and no one has ever invited us to their house

I do like the idea of more day vacations. We just live in kind of a boring area!

Thanks ladies! At least I know I'm not alone. I think the colder weather has me dreaming of a warmer place already and we just hit November, haha!

November 2nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
you can visit us, but it isnt great here, pretty, ummmm, ghetto.
Repti.Mom likes this.
#12 is on the way
November 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Last time we were on vacation was early 06? We went to Mall of America. We are going to plan on a trip to Kalahari next tax season, so for '14.

November 2nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Veteran
Growing up we took all of two vacations - one very planned out and we crammed a lot into that week. The other coincided with one of my dad's conferences he had to attend and he got to bring the family. So I didn't really do vacations growing up therefore not taking any now either really. We had a very small family and we could well afford to take a vacation - my parents just chose not to.

I heart camping in a big way - it could be a way of life for me and I'd be happy - DH not so much. But in all of our travels while I served in the military we would go visit various places and if we needed to do an overnight I planned for us to camp. It was rare to get a hotel room. For the most part though we did/do day trips to things ... and usually those are free or next to free things. I like things that are off the beaten path instead of the typical tourist attraction.

Next summer we are driving 1/2 way across the country to visit I (he's in the Air Force) .... 1/2 way there we are stopping at S's godmother's house and staying overnight with them before hopping up and finishing out the trip to see I. We'll stay at his house for about a week (he shares a house but we'll make due with the floors and couches ). Then we'll head back to S's godmother's house before heading back here.

I don't know, I don't particularly care for going "places" - I like going to see and experience the natural world and so far the kids do, too. Though I have to admit when we lived in Virginia we did take advantage and visit Washington DC and all that it had to offer with monuments and the Smithsonian ... the most memorable was getting a rubbing of my dad's best friend's name on the Vietnam Memorial for him.

I know that's not much help - but we really enjoy hiking, canoeing, swimming, camping, rock climbing/repeling, ziplining, horseback riding, etc - so that's what we do

November 3rd, 2012, 07:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
UM, do you think van full of girls with ankle length dresses and waist length hair would stick out?

November 3rd, 2012, 07:51 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post
UM, do you think van full of girls with ankle length dresses and waist length hair would stick out?
Not here
November 3rd, 2012, 08:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't really do the type of vacation where you fly somewhere and get a hotel.

Our "vacations" are to visit family mainly. We are lucky that we have some cool places to go. My grandma lives one block from the beach, so we can go there. Another relative has a lake house we can use sometimes. We also go camping on our own on some property my parents own.

If you did manage to swing a traditional vacation I would recommend renting a house somewhere. It ends up being cheaper than renting multiple hotel rooms, plus you can cook your own meals and save money that way. When I was a kid my family rented a house in the mountains for a week in the summer. That was the off season, because it was a ski area, so it rented for like $600 instead of $2000. There was still tons to do in the area with hiking, swimming, and such, and the house was amazing. It had three full floors with tons of bedrooms, bathrooms, and even a hot tub. We went in on it with some other families since there were just four in our family. There are also some good deals to be had if you rent a beach house in the spring or fall instead of the summer.
8forus likes this.
November 3rd, 2012, 09:31 AM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post
mari, is that true or are you referring to the Duggars? i know a family that the girls all wear dresses only, and now that i think if it, they have long hair too.

~~terre~~
November 3rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
Mari, absolutely. LOL. Very much so. But thats what would make it even more fun!!!
#12 is on the way
November 3rd, 2012, 06:05 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
When I was a teen I wore only long skirts and had very long (almost to my knees) hair, but I've gotten away from it now.

We did a Disney vacation two years ago, but we only had two kids then (pregnant with #3), we packed a lot of our own food, stayed in hotels that provided breakfast, didn't shop much, and looked for deals online. Now that we have four, I can imagine it will be much harder!
November 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
A large portion of our trips are to visit family because we don't live near anyone. So, we have free lodging and meals are really only the meals "out" to eat at some of our favorite places that aren't available near us.

We also do a beach trip every year with my family. We rent a beach house, and we split it between 4-5 families so it ends up being reasonable. We take a good portion of food and mostly cook in so there's not too terribly many expenses to eat out, etc.

November 3rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When we go on a vacation we NEVER fly. Always somewhere we can drive. We also rent a home, never hotels - since it costs too much and I prefer to have a kitchen to save on meals. We have rented several homes on VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owners) and have had nothing but great experiences. I tend to lean toward the places that are in the off season - like a ski resort in the summer because many have indoor water parks and areas close by that are great for tourists. I am cheap and thrifty and always look for the cheapest route to a vacation. My aunt gave us her time share for the last couple years, but not this year. We didn't take any vacations. I have in-laws that have a beach house, a home in florida, and my two aunts both own houses at the beach. No one invites us to stay with them or offers for us to use them. I don't ask because if they wanted me to - they would offer. That's why we try to do something frugal on our own. I would love an RV.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

November 4th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Camping here too and we also do day trips. I am debating getting a pass for an amusement park this year because it would only be about $40 for each person it is around 1.5 hours away. So kind of pricey but would pay for itself over and over again. Usually just to get in once is over $40 but with the girl scout tickets $20 each they have a deal when your at the park to upgrade your ticket to a season pass.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

November 4th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, Terre, we all wear dresses and have long hair I had to cut my hair 6 months ago due a thyroid issue and it was falling out, but its growing back. But it usually is down to the middle of m back. My girls reach their butt.

I will check out the off season rentals, great idea! I knew you ladies would know how to take a crew on vacation and not go completely broke!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search