Dinner?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 2 Post By Babymakes8
  • 1 Post By Kristina
  • 2 Post By Farmers-wife
  • 2 Post By Repti.Mom
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By Kristina
  • 1 Post By lilmissb772

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM
lilmissb772's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lilmissb772 Send a message via Yahoo to lilmissb772
My oldest is the pickiest child I have EVER come across! Ok, I take that back, my little cousin is 23 and still only eats hot dogs, pizza, fries, and chips lol. My oldest boy is ridiculous when it comes to food. He hates meat, veggies...pretty much anything that isn't pasta. I can get him to eat small amounts of certain meats with ketchup or A1. I love pasta as well, so I wouldn't have any problem making a pasta dish a few nights a week, but my oldest girl hates pasta. She loves meat and some veggies though. Are you seeing my problem yet? I'm at a loss as to what to feed these kids to make them all eat! I've already tried the "eat what I serve or go hungry" method and it doesn't work, they choose to go to bed hungry, which can sometimes mean 18 hours without food.

Brandi

November 5th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just keep it up. There is nothing I could make that everyone likes. Except maybe ice cream. But my dh doesn't. Anyway, just make a few things that you want and call it a day. They won't die.
lilmissb772 likes this.
November 6th, 2012, 04:57 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I make one dinner, period. Eat or don't eat, your choice. Or, okay, I will allow a bowl of cereal as an option.
lilmissb772 likes this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
November 6th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never allowed my kids to be picky. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. When my kids don't want to eat what I served, it goes in the fridge to be their next meal. I'm not kidding. They have learned to eat with no complaints. It's OK to tell me they don't like it, and that's fine, as long as they are polite about it...but they still have to eat it.

My oldest DD hated sauerkraut. We have sauerkraut and pork for the new year every year, served over mashed potatoes. The ONLY time she complained, we made her eat a double helping of the 'kraut. She never complained again, but since we know she really DOESN'T like it, we allow for her to have a very small portion of it. We've always had the rule that they have to eat some of everything that is fixed, even if it's just a small amount.
lilmissb772 and 8forus like this.

November 6th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
I make one meal and if they don't want it they can have a sandwich or cereal.
lilmissb772 likes this.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

November 6th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine would only eat cereal. No dice on that option.
lilmissb772 and HalfDozen like this.
November 6th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sebastian would eat only cereal too. in fact most times he does, thatll change as he gets older. sometimes i just give in because he needs to eat before dinner is done and i just cant handle him anymore so i give cereal or something else easy, bath,bed.

my mom hates that i make the other kids eat or at least try something. her mom, my grandma was forced to finish any and every meal. one time she threw up on the table and got beat for it. im not going to be so extreme obviously.
lilmissb772 and Babymakes8 like this.

November 6th, 2012, 08:57 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
My girls have to TRY what we have. However, they also know that if they don't eat what we're having for dinner, then there is no dessert or any other food for the evening. I try not to make things that they HATE (because I hate them, too). There may be something they're not crazy about, and then they can have a very small helping. Usually, it's only one at a time that doesn't want the food. The youngest is the only exception. I know the oldest 3 are not going to die of starvation. The youngest is on a no-meat kick right now. So, I try to get her to eat what we're eating. If she won't, she gets up from the table for a while. Maybe 1/2 hour later, we'll go back, and I'll give her some yogurt or something.

We used to have a rule that they could have a peanut butter sandwich if they didn't like what we were having, but that stopped because my oldest would pick the sandwich every time. She's very picky! They might only have to have 1 piece of vegetable, etc., but they try everything on the table.

I will never force them to eat an entire serving of anything. My oldest, much like me, has a terrible gag reflex. My mother-in-law found that out the hard way when she made her eat a serving of squash. My daughter threw it up at the table. Not an event that will be repeated, I can assure you.
lilmissb772 likes this.

New picture in progress......
November 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
I don't mind if mine eat cereal I usually only have super healthy ones. My kiddos are usually pretty good with veggies too, Malayna who is my pickiest eater loves veggies and one time she ate 2 plate fulls of spinach but nothing else, lol.
lilmissb772 likes this.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

November 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have never had a problem with the cereal option. Isaiaah is on a cereal kick right now, so he wants Honey Nut Cheerios morning, noon, and night. Whatever. He usually eats very good, so whatever. None of mine are picky eaters.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
November 6th, 2012, 11:42 AM
lilmissb772's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lilmissb772 Send a message via Yahoo to lilmissb772
Thank you so much for all the replies and interesting stories. Mine too will eat cereal for every meal if I let them. My oldest, as picky as he is, likes my cereal (kelloggs vanilla almond) and actually chooses that over sugary cereals. He's definitely more receptive to breakfast and lunch so I'll keep trying to squeeze as much good stuff in there as I can. I think part of the problem is when he goes to his dads and grandma lets him eat canned pasta if he doesn't like what she made, so he's eating alot of raviolis while he's there.
One thing that has worked to at least get him to eat a little bit of the dinner, was giving him the choice of eating or going to bed. After many tears and stomping around, he decided eating was better than going to bed at 7 on a Saturday lol. Thanks again for the help ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
I don't mind if mine eat cereal I usually only have super healthy ones. My kiddos are usually pretty good with veggies too, Malayna who is my pickiest eater loves veggies and one time she ate 2 plate fulls of spinach but nothing else, lol.
My 4 year old is a veggie lover too. There's been many days I've asked her what she wants for lunch and she tells me green beans lol
Kristina likes this.

Brandi

November 7th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran
Like a couple of others - I don't allow my kids to be picky. I was picky as a wee one and the ped told my mom to give me the choice to eat or not to eat... eventually I would eat. Sure enough, after a week or week and a half I finally ate something besides a few raisins. I hear a lot of people saying they went a whole day or two days ... well I personally went at least a week without eating more than those few raisins (one box daily) - I did not starve and neither did my children when I had to do it to them. There were no harmful effects from not eating for a little while.

There are some foods some of my kids simply don't like and all we do is say that everyone has to have a spoonful (teaspoonful not ladelful) of everything. The only things the kids are allowed to skip are what they are allergic to. Occasionally we get a little whining but that's it.

November 8th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was the picky one growing up! Still am. I remember being forced to eat certain foods and don't do that to mine. But....my kids are pretty good eaters. With having so many, I tend to have something at every meal that they all will eat. By the time you get meats or pasta, veggies, breads, fruits in there, it's hard not to like one of those.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search